Author Topic: Fan fiction & Copyrights/legal stuff  (Read 2267 times)

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
Fan fiction & Copyrights/legal stuff
« on: 06 September 2016, 07:30:03 »
Hello,

I´m writing you this since I started my project a year ago and now I need your assistance with a couple of questions that only you can give me.

A year ago I started setting up a campaign for my wife and me to play at the weekends. My idea of this grew to become a mix of a Battletech campaign and an accompanying novel. Here in Germany we call such books "adventure books". It´s a type of book where you can choose how the story proceeds, by making choices and continue reading on another page. I want to combine a simple version of the BT campaign system and such a story with a map of the main continent. The intention is to create an experience for people who want play a BT campaign without too much micro management, but without simplyfying it down to ALpha Strike levels. I´m thinking of getting the help of other BT enthusiasts who might help with a few story ideas, translations, in-universe facts, drawings and so on.
My question now is, what do I have to consider to stay out of legal trouble and how to circumnavigate situations which lead to a situation where some officials write emails to me, asking me to put this and that out of the game no matter how much time I spent on creating it.

Thanks in advance for any information. :)

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
Re: Fan fiction & Copyrights/legal stuff
« Reply #1 on: 08 September 2016, 15:56:09 »
1) You may not charge money or make any exchange for digital or physical forms of your project. If this is an issue, then this isn't a fan project, you're looking for a license.

2) Credit any material (artwork, design) you source

3) Include a notice to the effect:
BattleTech, BattleMech, ’Mech and MechWarrior are registered trademarks and/or trademarks of The Topps Company, Inc., in the United States and/or other countries. Catalyst Game Labs and the Catalyst Game Labs logo are trademarks of InMediaRes Production, LLC. Used with permission. Neither Topps nor Catalyst Game Labs makes no representation or warranty as to the quality, viability, or suitability for purpose of this product.

That should be fine.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 19 February 2017, 14:38:34 »
After heaving ideas and concepts from one side of my brain to the other and back, I think I need a contact address since I am considering to take at least donations since I developed an idea of a bigger project. I need to discuss my concept and need someone who can guarantee me discretion.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #3 on: 19 February 2017, 21:01:43 »
Domi,

Feel free to PM me, or use the email in my profile. I will be happy to treat any enquiries as confidential. I am not a PTB, but I have handled IP-related questions regarding other areas of the game.

Worktroll, Ombudsman
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"