Author Topic: Aftermarket A-Pods?  (Read 2192 times)

Kiff_Stevenson

• Master Sergeant
  • Mini by Psycho @ camospecs.com - Thanks Joel!
Aftermarket A-Pods?
« on: 18 September 2016, 10:06:00 »
Howdy.

I was recently going through my bits bin, and I realized I can use what I have to model a complete Uller C! I plan to use the body and legs of an original-sculpt Uller (the smaller, Ral Partha one) and the arms of an original-sculpt Dasher (again, smaller RP version). Only trouble: I don't have A-pods for its legs.

I don't think IWM has the ones from the new Loki available in the Scrapyard, and I know I could probably sculpt some for myself from epoxy putty, but I'd rather use something solid and metal if possible. As a bonus, I figure cold-welding something like that onto the model would be a good way to shore-up the strength of the notoriously thin legs on that particular version of the Uller.

So far, the best candidate I can think of is the tiny screw used to hold eye-glass frames together.

Anybody have any better ideas?

[Edit: typos]
« Last Edit: 18 September 2016, 10:24:06 by Kiff_Stevenson »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Aftermarket A-Pods?
« Reply #1 on: 18 September 2016, 18:16:48 »
3mm doll eyes?

Not metal, but small doll eyes are my go-tos for hemispherical lumps, pods, etc.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Kiff_Stevenson

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 18 September 2016, 19:56:57 »
Good idea!

I assume they're made of some kind of plastic. I'll probably have to use superglue rather than epoxy, but it could certainly work.

Thanks worktroll!

SC_Dave

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 20 September 2016, 02:48:45 »
It could have some undesired consequences, but if you're after some small metal cylinders rare earth magnets come to mind. You can buy sizes such as 2mm x 1mm, or 2mm x 2mm. Just keep your mech away from objects containing iron :-)

Kiff_Stevenson

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2016, 06:45:27 »
SC_Dave:

Yeah, I thought of that too. Two things: (1) As you say, this could have bizarre effects on the tabletop or in storage depending on what you put next to the mini; and (2) rare earth magnets have a strange effect on two-part cold weld as its drying. It's funky to watch it both move toward and away from the magnet you're trying to adhere.

Charlemagne

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor is Bulletproof
« Reply #5 on: 22 September 2016, 21:24:42 »
Dunno what country you live in but here in Canada we have a dollar store chain called Dollarama.  In their craft aisle they sell both adhesive backed and non-adhesive backed rhinestones, some as small as the tip of a ball-point pen.  They are usually faceted too, which works well for mechanical protrusions.  And you'll get dozens and dozens for a couple bucks.
Honor is Bulletproof

Heavyguard

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 10 October 2016, 18:34:30 »
Even if it's not in the scrap yard you can usually request it from IWM directly.
Also in one of the old Commando HQ quarterly newsletter they show how to duplicate the ones that  come with the Loki for use on a Prometheus Dire Wolf variant.

Kiff_Stevenson

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 10 October 2016, 21:33:25 »
Thanks for the heads-up Heavyguard.

I managed to find something called "Crimp Beads" that were almost perfect in terms of size and shape. I assume they're used to secure the ends of do-it-yourself necklaces and bracelets.

Anyway, you can check out the results I got with these by taking a look at the thread entitled "D5BA Eye - Point 1" over in the miniatures sub-forum.

Thanks again!