Author Topic: (Answered) Blizzard weather condition and modifiers  (Read 2925 times)

pheonixstorm

• Major
(Answered) Blizzard weather condition and modifiers
« on: 14 November 2016, 17:23:39 »
pdf p36
In one of the errata releases Heavy Snowfall was changed to modify cruising speed of vehicles to -4. Blizzard, which one would think is a far worse condition only has -2C but is supposed to include all modifiers from heavy snowfall as well as those from a strong gale. Should the movement be changed to -4C for vees? The modifier for infantry looks correct so I don't *think* that would have to change.

same page, tohit modifiers.
The table shows the modifiers for strong gale but does not mention the overall +1 from heavy snowfall. Is that omission due to space concerns or just missed?
« Last Edit: 18 June 2017, 07:25:27 by Xotl »

pheonixstorm

• Major
Re: Blizzard weather condition and modifiers
« Reply #1 on: 19 November 2016, 07:56:22 »
To clarify the information for the original question a bit.

In the first printing...
Heavy Snowfall had 0 as its movement modifier for vehicles, this was changed in errata to -4
Blizzard had -2C as its movement modifier for vehicles, this was not changed in the errata when Heavy Snowfall was changed.

Current printing
Heavy Snowfall vehicle movement -4C
Blizzard vehicle movement still -2C

If it helps any.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 21 November 2016, 05:55:58 »
Actually, I see the problem now. The real issue isn't with the Blizzard planetary condition but with the errata to Heavy Snowfall.

All of the other snow conditions on page 36 have the extreme temp factored in. Sleet and Snow Flurries includes the modifiers and effects for -40 temperatures so those table entries are -1C. Moderate Snowfall, Snow Flurries, Heavy Snowfall, and Blizzard include the modifiers for -50 temperatures so the table should show all of them as -2C under the vehicles column. Ice Storm is the only condition with a temperature of -60 which gives it a modifier of -3C.

Heavy Snowfall should most likely get a new errata entry to correct its table entry for vehicles to read -2C

Is this assumption correct?

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 21 November 2016, 08:47:47 »
Additionally, Heavy Snowfall does not include any wind modifiers so how is it that the infantry movement modifiers are –2 G (B)/–3 (CI). This part of the table on pg36 should read –2 G (B)/–2 (CI) or just -2 CI if it should follow the other Snowfall entries. That is, if the entry for extreme temperatures was not meant to slow down Battle Armor, just conventional Infantry.

Sorry to keep adding to this...

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #4 on: 22 November 2016, 14:07:51 »
No problem.  Keep adding relevant info.  But I'll need some time to get to it.  Little busy at the moment.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 22 November 2016, 19:59:04 »
That's fine. I may have to change the title if this keeps up though  ;D

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 28 November 2016, 00:43:05 »
p36 Table, Heavy Snowfall entry. For Conventional Infantry the table should show -2(CI) not 3(CI)

To my knowledge there should be nothing causing the additional -1 to movement as Heavy Snowfall does not include any wind modifiers.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 03 December 2016, 06:22:04 »
Snow section, pg 36 What I have so far.
Snow rules pg 60
Wind pg 61
Extreme Temps pg 62

Blizzard: PSR modifiers should be +2 Mechs. +1 for Heavy Snowfall and +1 for Strong Gale. ToHit should be +1 +2DB, +3Mi. As stated above this could just be for space reasons, not sure. The other modifiers appear to be correct

Heavy Snowfall: As calculated vehicles should be -2, Infantry should be -2G(B)/-2(CI).Temp is -50 with no wind.

Ice Storm: Includes -60 degree temps, Moderate Gale. Infantry column should be -3G(B)/-4(CI). I calculate this as -3 Extreme Temp and -1(CI) from Moderate Gale.

Have skimmed over the other weather and so far appears correct

The following is from the 3.5 errata pdf but unless there are other calculations that did not get added in later sections I don't see how the results were obtained.
4) Under “Heavy Snowfall”, “MP Cost per Hex or Movement Modifiers”
a) Change the Vehicles column from “+0” to “–4 C”
b) Change the Infantry column from “+0” to “–2 G (B)/–3 (CI)”

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 08 February 2017, 21:46:13 »
Just give it a little tap tap tappy.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 02 June 2017, 23:21:10 »
Nothing new on this, but bringing back up for possible inclusion in the yearly errata and/or debate/answering.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #10 on: 03 June 2017, 06:01:23 »
While I know I said to keep adding to it, in the future, it will really help your case if you just keep editing your original question, instead of making multiple posts.  It's much more likely to get your an answer quickly.  Feel free to edit and tinker until you see your thread marked (Research), because before then, we haven't tackled it.  I should have been clearer about this when I posted earlier: my apologies.

I'll try to finish this off today.
« Last Edit: 03 June 2017, 06:09:45 by Xotl »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #11 on: 03 June 2017, 06:53:30 »
Okay, looks like this will be the relevant errata for page 36:

⑥ Expanded Movement Costs and Planetary Conditions Tables (Cont.) (p. 36)
1)   Under “Snow Flurries”, add Footnote 34

2)   Under “Heavy Snowfall”, change the MP Cost per Hex to –2C.

3)   Under “Ice Storm”, change the MP Cost per Hex to –3G(B)/–4(CI)

4)   Delete the Blizzard entry.

There's no point to the Blizzard entry: it has no modifiers of its own, so that if I have to errata it (again) I'd rather just delete it and not tie players' hands as to what degree of wind defines a blizzard.

The heavy snowfall penalty for battle armour is fine: the write-ups don't list every modifier that gets added to the table, and snow drifts of that magnitude will slow even mechanically assisted movement.

Am I missing anything else?

pheonixstorm

• Major
Re: (Research) Blizzard weather condition and modifiers
« Reply #12 on: 04 June 2017, 18:50:55 »
I don't know of anything else. Since new errata is coming, if I DO find something after the errata is released would you prefer adding to this thread or creating a new one?

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: (Research) Blizzard weather condition and modifiers
« Reply #13 on: 04 June 2017, 19:30:57 »
Hmmm.  Make a new thread, I think, since I like to mark errata cut-offs in this forum.  But don't worry about doing so until the errata is officially upped to the main BT page; if you find something before that time, add it here.  There's always a bit of editing of it between 6 June and when it officially is released outside the forums, which gives the chance for everyone to proof it a bit.

Thanks for your patience on this.