Author Topic: Talk about the Plasma Rifle.  (Read 14847 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: Talk about the Plasma Rifle.
« Reply #30 on: 27 November 2016, 14:51:44 »
Actually, the speed penalty from the shield is already factored into the record sheet.  The mech would be 4/6 if it didn't have the shield.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #31 on: 27 November 2016, 14:57:35 »
That's what you get when you forget to check the engine rating... I don't usually use anything with Shields so i forgot it gets factored into the sheet.
It is still slow for a heavy, better treated as a pocket-assault 'Mech.

PGB

• Recruit
« Reply #32 on: 06 March 2017, 01:47:19 »
Hmm new topic..no.  Add something not said...er YES!
Using something to overheat (bueno!) something else
Choices are:
Flamer also igniter but no staying power and veeery short range!
Heavy Flamer the same but still very short range.
Inferno rounds (Huge liability) But I do love em. Mid-range instead of short
Plasma Rifle (rounds won't cook off: liability gone!) Long range, and its an igniter!
Definitely good for any aero issue as well as another ground pounder, like them in pairs

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #33 on: 06 March 2017, 19:38:39 »
Do you really have to have a reason to mount two Plasma Rifles?  I'd mount three or four if I had any excuse whatsoever.

Twin plasma rifles made Tara Bills ask Randall to Retcon a Marauder in a "honeydo" voice.  I am told it was hilarious
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #34 on: 06 March 2017, 22:55:35 »
We need a Annihilator with 4X Plasma Rifles.
I already love the idea of a Awesome with 3 or 4 PR's...

Kharim

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #35 on: 07 March 2017, 06:15:08 »
There is a Fafnir with quad Plasma Rifles and iC3. A walking hecatomb, far beyond war crimes.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #36 on: 07 March 2017, 08:03:14 »
Strangely they're also really good refits for any 3025 'Mechs that carry an AC/10. The Enforcer and Hatchetman are two that spring to mind immediately. Basically the same range and damage, plus some bonus damage. The only thing they don't match the AC/10 for is heat, but with the tonnage saved it's easy enough to add additional heat sinks.

On the Enforcer in particular, an extra bonus is you can pack two tons of ammo instead of one.

I haven't done this (I have done it to the Enforcer and Hatchetman), but they could be good refits for 3025 Hunchbacks as well. I could see replacing the AC/20 with twin plasma rifles. Better range and ammo capability, and you can add more heat sinks to compensate for greater heat.
« Last Edit: 07 March 2017, 08:06:27 by mbear »
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #37 on: 07 March 2017, 08:59:26 »
I haven't done this (I have done it to the Enforcer and Hatchetman), but they could be good refits for 3025 Hunchbacks as well. I could see replacing the AC/20 with twin plasma rifles. Better range and ammo capability, and you can add more heat sinks to compensate for greater heat.

Not really. Doing a straight AC/20 to PR x 2 only nets you two tones. Granted those would go to Heat Sinks, but that would only take a Hunchback 4G to 15 HS. It might work better with the 5M. The extra tonnage from the swap could go to extra ammo. You'd need it...

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #38 on: 07 March 2017, 12:27:37 »
Plasma Rifles are fun, all around good weapons for just about any situation.  Are there other weapons that out range it?  Yeah.  But they don't cause target heat.  Other weapons that are more heat efficient?  Sure, but they probably have ammo that explodes.

As a package, the PR is just about a perfect weapon, and that shows in the BV cost for it.  It is the Swiss Army Knife of weapons, being able to handle any opponent in any situation.  The ultimate generalist weapon.
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
« Reply #39 on: 09 March 2017, 15:28:39 »
Another nasty plasma cannon toting bundle of joy is the Cyrano plasma (12/18, plasma rifle, 20 shots) for 927 BV
 You can cruise 10, for that +4 move and park at 5 hexes and unleash hell.

My own omni chopper moves slower, but is 964 BV :-)  Given what the weapon does, I'm often to call the FedSuns made version in my world a "Pritchard series 20cm Plama Rifle."
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #40 on: 09 March 2017, 17:20:28 »
Yeah, if I can get my hands on those I love them . . .
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

PGB

• Recruit
« Reply #41 on: 09 March 2017, 22:18:06 »
I don't have a copy of the current rules...but...I spied with my little eye a lietenant who has modded mechs with it on this board...ahem :-)

The imagery was can I make a scout (My Gm offered me to give away my Llaser for one of these once on my Phoenix hawk I think he wanted me to drop the infernos and thought this might be a nice trade off. 

What I wanted to play with was something speedier than a panther and more jump than a panther so things could be manuevered for more heat at range from a scout, kinda like more cowbell.  Look over there its FIRE! *Gomer Pyle voice*

I hope you at least smiled if not snickered inside a little; moving on.

PGB

• Recruit
« Reply #42 on: 09 March 2017, 22:23:45 »
Oops
I don't have a copy of the current rules...but...I spied with my little eye a lietenant who has modded mechs with it on this board...ahem :-)

The imagery was can I make a scout (My Gm offered me to give away my Llaser for one of these once on my Phoenix hawk I think he wanted me to drop the infernos and thought this might be a nice trade off. 

What I wanted to play with was something speedier than a panther and more jump than a panther so things could be manuevered for more heat at range from a scout, kinda like more cowbell.  Look over there its FIRE! *Gomer Pyle voice*

I hope you at least smiled if not snickered inside a little; moving on.
Lieutenant=Captain Correction

ajcbm

• Sergeant
« Reply #43 on: 10 March 2017, 06:46:32 »
Do Plasma Rifles in tanks cause heat?

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #44 on: 10 March 2017, 07:13:21 »
Do Plasma Rifles in tanks cause heat?

Yes. They're considered energy weapons. (Totally derailed my plan for a Zhukov that carried four plasma rifles.)
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #45 on: 10 March 2017, 09:13:55 »
I did put one on a tank, it's not very nice to other vehicles.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #46 on: 10 March 2017, 11:39:25 »
I did put one on a tank, it's not very nice to other vehicles.
Davions put two on the Hanse MBT. I think they got tired of Liaos using plasmas against them.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #47 on: 10 March 2017, 12:01:13 »
Which b/c MWDA art are not in the turret . . . makes it more a destroyer than MBT.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #48 on: 10 March 2017, 12:25:28 »
The Hanse doesn't have a turret.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #49 on: 10 March 2017, 12:32:00 »
It has sponson turrets, but the main guns are not in turrets . . . which is why I said its more of a tank destroyer rather than a MBT.
Colt Ward

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #50 on: 10 March 2017, 12:41:55 »
I used the tank's full name. Sure, it is functionally more like a tank destroyer (though tank destroyers can have a turret), but it is called Hanse MBT. Blame WizKids.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #51 on: 10 March 2017, 13:05:22 »
I do, just noting that 'quirk' . . .
Colt Ward

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #52 on: 10 March 2017, 13:21:13 »
By the way, it seems there are turretless tanks in real world.
Like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stridsvagn_103
Seems to be pretty rare though. So in a way, Hanse MBT's MBT designation can be justified. It is about its combat role more so than its structure.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #53 on: 10 March 2017, 16:05:30 »
We need a Annihilator with 4X Plasma Rifles.

I dunno what on earth you did to the poor guy to make him hate conventional forces that much

You mean like this? 

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56691.0
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Xeno426

• Sergeant
« Reply #54 on: 04 April 2017, 11:47:52 »
By the way, it seems there are turretless tanks in real world.
Like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stridsvagn_103
Seems to be pretty rare though. So in a way, Hanse MBT's MBT designation can be justified. It is about its combat role more so than its structure.
Funny enough, Sweden also has a turreted tank destroyer in the form of the IKV 91. Though abroad it's often called a light tank, its doctrinal use placed it in anti-tank companies to protect infantry divisions from tank attack and to provide support (so it also doubles as a support gun).

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #55 on: 04 April 2017, 13:24:36 »
Funny enough, Sweden also has a turreted tank destroyer in the form of the IKV 91. Though abroad it's often called a light tank, its doctrinal use placed it in anti-tank companies to protect infantry divisions from tank attack and to provide support (so it also doubles as a support gun).

"Tank Destroyer" isn't a particularly coherent term to begin with.  Americans used turreted vehicles that they designated as TDs in World War 2, while many German and Soviet vehicles commonly called Tank Destroyer would more accurately be labeled Self-Propelled Guns.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #56 on: 04 April 2017, 13:57:58 »
Tank destroyer seems to be a role designation really, ie a self-propelled gun intended to attack tanks specifically (one that mounts a big gun enough to kill tanks, which makes it use for other roles somewhat pointless).

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #57 on: 04 April 2017, 18:53:17 »
Tank destroyer seems to be a role designation really, ie a self-propelled gun intended to attack tanks specifically (one that mounts a big gun enough to kill tanks, which makes it use for other roles somewhat pointless).

Indeed...to my understanding, at least during World War 2, a vehicle was designated a tank if it was a mobile fighting platform intended to fight with and support infantry, or to create or exploit breaches of enemy lines (ie, a generalist heavy combat vehicle, at least for the medium and heavy versions...the light tanks were for mobile strike and reconnaissance)...a tank destroyer was a vehicle, often with either no turret, or with an open top turret, that was made even more mobile than most tanks, and was intended to be a hunter/killer of tanks (hence the name)...a self propelled gun had a howitzer type cannon to take out infantry or other softer targets...

Designations have changed somewhat over the years though...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #58 on: 04 April 2017, 19:02:19 »
Actually, with the US at least, Tank Destroyers were intended for defensive purposes- if enemy tanks were attacking, the TDs could use their speed to quickly counterattack.  The turretless TDs favored by the Germans and Soviets were also better at defensive roles and faced problems when they were used in offensive operations.

PGB

• Recruit
« Reply #59 on: 06 April 2017, 12:49:07 »
So I have very little experience with these but my in my campaign my group just acquired a large supply of them and I was wondering what other have found there best use to be.

So with further thinking and then experimenting, it looks like a 30-45 Ton Mech with movement 7-11 or better (want that 10 hex movement for +4), primary function a scout cheap version (1.) Would be only one Plasma rifle and maybe a medium laser with machine guns or small lasers. (2.) the fancier versions might share targeting data, or have other hunter aspects TAG NARC and so on.  I am seeing a scouting lance under cover ambushing and hitting 3 out of 4 shots in surprise, with targeting 4 of 4 and on shutting the target mech down ( NOT; I want to capture it, intact ). and taking his lance mates down in the following rounds too.
With a little infantry support and some handheld infernos or same in an SRM carrier we now have quick capture maybe and fast recovery.  I have really wanted to advance past search and destroy to the next level of "capture and turn" being more profitable that is than spare parts.

Register