Author Topic: Star Wars Thread IV - A New Hype  (Read 168298 times)

Kidd

• Major
Re: Star Wars Thread IV - A New Hype
« Reply #1170 on: 21 January 2018, 03:49:55 »
unless they change it what Han did that got Jabba to put a price on his head, was that, Han was transporting (smuggling) some "spice" for jabba and dumped it when it looked like he was going to be boarded and searched for contraband materials.  kind of like if you were smuggling drugs for a drug cartel and dumped the cargo, I can understand why they would be pissed.
They probably will change it. Maybe twist that Han discovered his cargo was actually glitterstim or Twileks.

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #1171 on: 21 January 2018, 03:57:57 »
Jabba has all these nerfs, which he's very protective of, but Solo just goes ahead and totally herds them.
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #1172 on: 21 January 2018, 10:06:15 »
You are Wicket good at this, but this jibba-Jabba might drive people nuts. We should Leia off.
What's the sound of one Han clapping? Because it's coming from my side of the monitor right now.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1173 on: 25 January 2018, 16:17:19 »
Followed by a Boba Fett movie where he's actually given a chance to do cool things on screen?

I'd MUCH rather a Lando one than a Fett focused one..

Taking inflation into account, Gone With the Wind is still the highest grossing movie in the US.  The Force Awakens is number 11 by that reckoning, and Last Jedi is currently 66

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films_in_Canada_and_the_United_States#Adjusted_for_ticket-price_inflation

I've always wondered, when they get those 'figures', do they just take cinema ticket sales, or all the money the cinemas get (INC Concession stands)?

Here's a fun thing. One of the Save the EU groups sent a petition to the White House demanding to have the EU declared a national treasure. I kid you not.

I cannot begin to imagine how it was received.

If anything, it gave those at the WH a good chuckle!  THEN promptly got tossed in the trash.

It's no longer fashionable to politely disagree. Screaming diatribes are the new black.

It certainly seems that the louder and more vulgar people scream, the more they get listened to/media attention..

It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #1174 on: 25 January 2018, 17:17:12 »
They probably will change it. Maybe twist that Han discovered his cargo was actually glitterstim or Twileks.

actually i doubt that we'll get that close to the original trilogy. their new actor looks convincing as a younger han, but really wouldn't match well to "only a few months before ANH han"
so my guess is that it'll end with young Han starting to work for Jabba, years before the event ANH references.

besides it has already been established in the canon that he was hualing a load of Spice, which has also been established as a term referring to a class of addictive drugs. so there isn't much they can do there beyond adding a specific name for the type of spice he was hauling.
« Last Edit: 25 January 2018, 17:19:07 by glitterboy2098 »

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #1175 on: 02 February 2018, 10:28:10 »
Solo trailer drops Monday am!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1176 on: 02 February 2018, 13:56:58 »
and there are already people on youtube who have recorded videos saying they hate it. tells you what the current state of the fandom is like,  when people have already decided a movie is crap before they even know what is in it.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #1177 on: 02 February 2018, 17:34:58 »
I'd MUCH rather a Lando one than a Fett focused one..

I'd go for that. Then again, I'd also totally go for a Salacious Crumb movie over a Boba Fett one.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #1178 on: 03 February 2018, 07:06:07 »
What's the hate-on for a Boba Fett movie?

I would actually like to see one, to see where they would take the character compared to what's in the novels.

But, I wouldn't mind seeing a movie for each of the Bounty Hunters.

Wouldn't mind seeing Dash in his own movie, too.

There's lots more to the universe than the Rebellion and Jedi. Bounty Hunters and Rogues are a good way to see a large chunk of it.

In fact, I think a show around Boba Fett or bounty hunters would be even better, because you could have a different backdrop for each episode.

« Last Edit: 03 February 2018, 07:08:16 by Daemion »
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #1179 on: 03 February 2018, 07:26:56 »
What's the hate-on for a Boba Fett movie?

Insane overhype of the character over the years. Half of it was the fans who decided that a character who is on-screen for only a few minutes and has three lines (One of which is "AAAARGH!") was some sort of omnipotent badarse killing machine. The other half was the EU authors who then over-built and over-wrote the character to death resulting in a boring unstoppable killer with very little actual character.

And then there was Karen Traviss...

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #1180 on: 03 February 2018, 13:48:48 »
Insane overhype of the character over the years. Half of it was the fans who decided that a character who is on-screen for only a few minutes and has three lines (One of which is "AAAARGH!") was some sort of omnipotent badarse killing machine. The other half was the EU authors who then over-built and over-wrote the character to death resulting in a boring unstoppable killer with very little actual character.

And then there was Karen Traviss...

Yeah. I got that from the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy. Honestly, someone like Fett, if he's supposed to be really good, should have tales told about him second-hand by unreliable sources.

I honestly think there's room for some potential comedy behind everyone's expectations and the actual reality. Maybe Fett is more like JarJar - he actually bumbles his way through things and gets insanely lucky.

And the survivors are left telling a tail of just how god-like Fett was.

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1181 on: 03 February 2018, 13:58:41 »
Yeah, it's not the "in" thing right now to be a Boba Fett fanboy because of how insanely OP he is. Its the in thing to be an Ahsoka Tano fanboy because of how insanely OP she is...
Maybe Fett is more like JarJar - he actually bumbles his way through things and gets insanely lucky.
you mean like Tag, Bink and Manuel Both-Hanz...?

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #1182 on: 03 February 2018, 15:45:08 »
Or the Seventh Doctor
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #1183 on: 03 February 2018, 16:47:57 »
I feel like "Bumbling Boba" is too obvious and frankly overdone.

I think that the better angle would be "Bloodthirsty Boba" - note how Vader singled HIM out for the "No disintegrations" warning and run with that, how he always gets his man by murdering everything between him and the person... regardless of how appropriate it might be to the situation. Show how unprofessional other bounty hunters consider him.

Then give him a shot at redemption. Maybe he has to team up with a young woman who thinks she can fix him, make him a nice, normal person - maybe she's a bounty hunter, maybe she's like that internal affairs cop from the second Han Solo book and recruits him to help her bust some high-level criminals in her corp, and as their adventure/whirlwind romance comes to a close... she realizes he's scum, HE realizes he's scum, and he walks away from redemption into a future filled with five thousand years of being slowly digested.

EDIT: Ya know, that's something which is missing from movies. Yes, there's a lot of movies where the woman falls in love with someone that's a complete asshat - just like real life - but almost ALL of them end the movie with some vague promise that he's going to change and become a good person, when in fact he NEVER does.

Or maybe I'm just biased because holy crap, my mother and sister are HORRIBLE at picking men. My sister's last boyfriend was a meth-addicted mess of a man who ended up getting us kicked out of one house, then after mom & sis had to move into a motor home, got them kicked out of a fairly nice motor home park! The less said about my mother's taste, the better.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #1184 on: 03 February 2018, 16:54:57 »
I feel like "Bumbling Boba" is too obvious and frankly overdone.

I think that the better angle would be "Bloodthirsty Boba" - note how Vader singled HIM out for the "No disintegrations" warning and run with that, how he always gets his man by murdering everything between him and the person... regardless of how appropriate it might be to the situation. Show how unprofessional other bounty hunters consider him.

Then give him a shot at redemption. Maybe he has to team up with a young woman who thinks she can fix him, make him a nice, normal person - maybe she's a bounty hunter, maybe she's like that internal affairs cop from the second Han Solo book and recruits him to help her bust some high-level criminals in her corp, and as their adventure/whirlwind romance comes to a close... she realizes he's scum, HE realizes he's scum, and he walks away from redemption into a future filled with five thousand years of being slowly digested.

EDIT: Ya know, that's something which is missing from movies. Yes, there's a lot of movies where the woman falls in love with someone that's a complete asshat - just like real life - but almost ALL of them end the movie with some vague promise that he's going to change and become a good person, when in fact he NEVER does.

Or maybe I'm just biased because holy crap, my mother and sister are HORRIBLE at picking men. My sister's last boyfriend was a meth-addicted mess of a man who ended up getting us kicked out of one house, then after mom & sis had to move into a motor home, got them kicked out of a fairly nice motor home park! The less said about my mother's taste, the better.

No. Just, no. No.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #1185 on: 03 February 2018, 17:10:32 »
No. Just, no. No.
Any reason why?

It might be an interesting character study, if done well - I recently watched the episode of The Clone Wars where young Boba Fett infiltrates a Jedi Cruiser disguised as a young clone to assassinate Windu, and there's no way that person grows up to be anything other than maladjusted and bloodthirsty.

He certainly wasn't bumbling; his attempts were foiled only by dumb luck, and his initial hesitation to pull the trigger can easily be explained by the fact that the people he was pointing a gun at were either 1) wearing his face or 2) wearing his father's face. He is a little badass in the cartoon, and while there are things his caretakers do that make him flinch, he has to at some point become hardened and even willing to do things like beat captives and kill innocents.

But how do you make the story of "This guy is a badass who isn't afraid to kill" interesting? There has to be an arc, plot points, and having this guy whose story started while literally holding his father's decapitated head , with no chance of what could be called a 'normal' life with a white electropicket fence and 2.3 younglings, catching a glimpse of it and being tempted... only to either walk away or be outright rejected, might be interesting.

A lot of movies move the other way, maladjusted individuals becoming normal. Having someone embrace their non-conformity and walk away from that chance might be interesting.

Plus it would have lots of lasers and blasts and explosions.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1186 on: 03 February 2018, 19:13:24 »
The other stories that feature young Boba in that series (Deception and Bounty) and his novel appearances so far back that up. young Boba Fett was a very angry, very driven character with little character depth. and given his appearances in the Original Trilogy works show exactly the same sort of character, just older, i'd say that a Boba Fett movie would be a bad idea. have boba fett appear in the standalone films as an antagonist or someone the protagonist has to interact with, but he'd make a terrible protagonist himself of anything other than a shoot-em up videogame.

Yeah. I got that from the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy. Honestly, someone like Fett, if he's supposed to be really good, should have tales told about him second-hand by unreliable sources.

I honestly think there's room for some potential comedy behind everyone's expectations and the actual reality. Maybe Fett is more like JarJar - he actually bumbles his way through things and gets insanely lucky.

And the survivors are left telling a tail of just how god-like Fett was.
Go read Blue milk Special. that is exactly how Fett works in that comic. but then, that is pretty much how every character works in that comic. :)

for some good boba fett-ness, read the section starting here, at "greedo's cousins"
« Last Edit: 03 February 2018, 19:21:29 by glitterboy2098 »

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1187 on: 03 February 2018, 20:47:37 »
Any reason why?

It might be an interesting character study, if done well - I recently watched the episode of The Clone Wars where young Boba Fett infiltrates a Jedi Cruiser disguised as a young clone to assassinate Windu, and there's no way that person grows up to be anything other than maladjusted and bloodthirsty.

He certainly wasn't bumbling; his attempts were foiled only by dumb luck, and his initial hesitation to pull the trigger can easily be explained by the fact that the people he was pointing a gun at were either 1) wearing his face or 2) wearing his father's face. He is a little badass in the cartoon, and while there are things his caretakers do that make him flinch, he has to at some point become hardened and even willing to do things like beat captives and kill innocents.

But how do you make the story of "This guy is a badass who isn't afraid to kill" interesting? There has to be an arc, plot points, and having this guy whose story started while literally holding his father's decapitated head , with no chance of what could be called a 'normal' life with a white electropicket fence and 2.3 younglings, catching a glimpse of it and being tempted... only to either walk away or be outright rejected, might be interesting.

A lot of movies move the other way, maladjusted individuals becoming normal. Having someone embrace their non-conformity and walk away from that chance might be interesting.

Plus it would have lots of lasers and blasts and explosions.

Erm...that's basically what they did with Boba in the old EU...he got married, had a daughter, and lived with them as  a loving family for 3 years while being a Journeyman Protector...only to lose it all after he killed the man (his superior officer) that raped his wife, resulting in him being exiled from Concord Dawn, and their divorce, leaving his former wife to raise their daughter, and then get trapped in carbonite for nearly 40 years during a bounty hunt...until she was rescued by her granddaughter...

As to a bumbling Boba Fett...the old EU also had that...in the form of Jodo Kast, another bounty hunter that wore Mandalorian armor, and even counted on people thinking he was Boba Fett during his hunts...until Boba took him down, and killed him after releaving him of his unearned armor...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #1188 on: 03 February 2018, 21:22:00 »
Now that Ruger has done an excellent job of defining a cliche, how do we make Boba Fett interesting?
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1189 on: 03 February 2018, 21:42:18 »
Make him a true/chaotic-neutral guy working for the bad guys, without the redemptive arc. A nega Han Solo.

Watch as his "good" intentions to simply be the best there is at what he does (bounty hunting) become twisted in a downward spiral of revenge. Make the Big Bad be some arch nemesis whom he finally tracks down to Jabba's lair, that being the real reason why he wanted Han in carbonite... the only way he knows to get into Jabba's good graces and closer to his target.

Let him fight the nemesis through the confusion of the barge battle, finally throwing his enemy into the Sarlacc... only for Han to knock him in due to prior battle damage inflicted on his jump pack. Inside the Sarlacc, both him and his opponent fight for one last time until he finishes off his nemesis decisively AND escapes the Sarlacc.

End with him sitting on the sand in the remnants of his armour, taking a bead on Han and Co as they speed away, then decide its not worth it, and pick up where he left off with the bounty hunting.

Think Jules in Pulp Fiction minus the Windu Sam Jackson monologuing. Maybe a bit Malcolm Reynolds or Riddick-like. Kinda cliche, kinda not, good vehicle to show off his not-to-be-***-with reputation and the seedier side of Star Wars. Fans and critics will have a field day deciding if he's an antihero or villain.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #1190 on: 03 February 2018, 22:04:49 »
Make him a true/chaotic-neutral guy working for the bad guys, without the redemptive arc. A nega Han Solo.
 Fans and critics will have a field day deciding if he's an antihero or villain.

Something like this.

Actually, I always figured that Boba Fett should be approached similarly to BT's Bounty Hunter, and what Wayne was going for with Batman, what Tony managed (in the comics for a while) with Iron man, is merely a suit worn by any number of individuals over a period of time.

Add to that the Clones from the Clone wars, I could see any that managed to survive going into bounty hunting as a different form of war. This fits Fett pretty well - He's almost like the Punisher of Star Wars. So, maybe a cadre of clones take up bounty hunting and decide to wear a suit, and pass it from one clone to the next. People think he's unkillable, but he's like IG-88.

As a kid, I liked the look of the armor, and I didn't care for the way he was 'offed'. I enjoyed when the clone army got the same helmet treatment.

I always wanted to see the character handled in a fairer manner than what he got in the movies. As a kid, I immediately imagined that he managed to crawl out of the sarlacc later on, even before they made a book about the event.

On a side note:

I will admit that the EU made a few mistakes, especially in the handling of some the Characters seen in the movies. The direction of Fett, as well as the Solo/Skywalker families was, I think, a repercussion of the idea that those were the only characters worth writing about.  The Star Wars Galaxy is a Galaxy, with room for lots of new characters and worlds.  That's what the EU, in my opinion, should have shown off. 

Lots of Bounty Hunters, pirates, Imperials, Republicans, so on and so forth to make the universe bigger.

They're kinda there with some of the new movies, but not quite.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #1191 on: 03 February 2018, 22:32:15 »
Now that Ruger has done an excellent job of defining a cliche, how do we make Boba Fett interesting?

By leaving him alone.

Or by restricting his appearances to how he was shown in the ANH special edition.

Nothing that could ever be done with him onscreen will ever be as cool as what the fans have built up for him in their minds these past four decades, so don’t even try.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #1192 on: 03 February 2018, 22:50:17 »
basically that.  Boba Fett has become a walking Noodle Incident.

Then again, Star Wars has a bad history of actually spelling out the Noodle Incidents, so... :/
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1193 on: 04 February 2018, 01:18:55 »
Insane overhype of the character over the years.

Yup.  That's my entire beaf..  I've never gotten into the whole Fett lovin..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #1194 on: 04 February 2018, 05:47:04 »
Two different EU stories gave two different accoutns of Boba Fett surviving the Sarlacc pit. In order to reconcile the two, the EU authors and ocntinuity managers came up with a solution. The answer? Fett fell in the pit, escaped and then managed to fall in a second time.

Genius.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1195 on: 04 February 2018, 09:24:08 »

Basically this...

Two different EU stories gave two different accoutns of Boba Fett surviving the Sarlacc pit. In order to reconcile the two, the EU authors and ocntinuity managers came up with a solution. The answer? Fett fell in the pit, escaped and then managed to fall in a second time.

Genius.

There was also the Elseworlds alternate universe what if story where Fett ended up frozen in carbonite in Cloud City, became Lando's desk, and then was lost in Bespin when Cloud City was knocked from the skies when its repulsorlifts were knocked out by the Executor...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #1196 on: 04 February 2018, 17:09:37 »
And, we have hints of his being not necessarily so cutthroat in Return of the Jedi - Instead of trying to gun down Luke, who was in his way, he warned Luke to get out of the way - at blaster point - because he was simply after Han. Doesn't really fit the "No disintegrations" demand from Vader in Empire.

That doesn't strike me like someone who guns down everyone needlessly.  It also set him up to take the wild hit from Solo swinging around. (You still think he isn't force sensitive? He was half blind and still managed to send a nemesis into a pit of doom.)

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1197 on: 04 February 2018, 17:28:46 »
And, we have hints of his being not necessarily so cutthroat in Return of the Jedi - Instead of trying to gun down Luke, who was in his way, he warned Luke to get out of the way - at blaster point - because he was simply after Han. Doesn't really fit the "No disintegrations" demand from Vader in Empire.

That doesn't strike me like someone who guns down everyone needlessly.  It also set him up to take the wild hit from Solo swinging around. (You still think he isn't force sensitive? He was half blind and still managed to send a nemesis into a pit of doom.)
Not quite.

Luke destroyed his blaster carbine. He then wrapped Luke with a cable* but Luke cut through that. The skiff was hit by a laser cannon blast, throwing him stunned to the floor while Luke jumped over to another skiff. He then shot at Luke with his wrist blaster** but Han hit his jump pack, and that was that.

*now this is obviously back-fitting, but it seems Boba learned from his father's mistake - at close range, first try to disable the Jedi's lightsaber, then execute.

**might be explained that it was his off hand, perhaps his helmet optics were damaged, he was stunned from the laser cannon blast... or it simply really wasn't his day  ;D

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #1198 on: 04 February 2018, 19:09:28 »
I still remember him saying "outta the way" before all of that, though.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #1199 on: 04 February 2018, 19:13:12 »
Just dropping this here...

https://youtu.be/9Szts88zY4o

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)