Author Topic: (Answered) Drawbacks to LAMs?  (Read 2695 times)

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
(Answered) Drawbacks to LAMs?
« on: 16 February 2017, 18:33:14 »
Last Sunday, a friend and I were playing a game of Alpha Strike, and in my formations, I'd fielded a Phoenix Hawk LAM. The LAM has some definite pluses:

1. Transformation is instantaneous at the beginning of movement
2. Uses WIGE movement in Airmech mode (including the +1 To Hit modifier for being airborne on top of a +4 or +5 TMM)
3. Suffers damage and criticals as a BattleMech rather than as a fighter
4. Does not, apparently, suffer the "used Jumping movement" to-hit penalty for the LAM's attacks in AirMech Mode.

In short, by how we were interpreting the rules, the LAM could go almost anywhere it wanted and pretty much backstab any unit on the map with relative impunity.

Neither me nor my friend could find any drawbacks to balance out those pluses, other than WIGE terrain restrictions. I'm just wondering if there are any drawbacks to Airmech mode that we're missing that would induce a player to want to go into BattleMech mode.
« Last Edit: 02 May 2017, 08:05:52 by nckestrel »

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: (Research) Drawbacks to LAMs?
« Reply #1 on: 02 May 2017, 08:03:19 »
Errata added, LAMs in AirMech mode have a +2 to-hit modifier.
Other than that change, the rest of you wrote looks correct.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #2 on: 02 May 2017, 13:08:54 »
Errata added, LAMs in AirMech mode have a +2 to-hit modifier.
Other than that change, the rest of you wrote looks correct.

Thanks! Just to clarify, is that +2 modifier applied to the AirMech's attacks as a penalty, or is it applied to attacks by other units targeting the AirMech?

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 02 May 2017, 13:42:01 »
Thanks! Just to clarify, is that +2 modifier applied to the AirMech's attacks as a penalty, or is it applied to attacks by other units targeting the AirMech?

The LAM as the attacker, in AirMech mode.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Register