Author Topic: Charger 1A1-B, Hold my beer and watch this!  (Read 828 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Charger 1A1-B, Hold my beer and watch this!
« on: 13 March 2017, 02:46:40 »
Charger CGR-1A1-B
IS experimental
80 tons 
BV: 575
Cost: 7,443,420 C-bills

First produced during the last decade of the reign of Hugai Kurita, the 1A1-B Charger was a particularly unique variant of the much maligned battlemech. Developed as a result of the neglect the depressed Coordinator Hugai was showing his military, the 1A1-B was intended to spare critical resources and more capable battlemechs through the counter intuitive solution of recklessly expending less critical machines. To this end, the 1A1-B was stripped of all equipment that could possibly be useful on another mech, but would not cripple the Charger's ability to move under its own power. Weapons were removed, the armor was stripped off and replaced with a thin skin of commercial plate. Sensors, life support, even the ejection system and some of the engine shielding was removed and replaced with an eight ton scuttling charge. In theory, this turned the much maligned charger into a devastating suicide machine.

Though nearly a hundred chargers were said to have been converted to this configuration, even with the fanaticism of the DCMS the mech saw action in only two engagements. The first was during the battle of Alexandria in 2953, when a lone Charger, piloted by a terminally ill pilot, was dispatched to take out the commanding officer of the 4th Skye Rangers. Using a nearby push by a Combine battalion as cover, the Charger was able to penetrate Lyran lines and reach the HQ lance undetected. The Lyrans, detecting no targeting or search sensors from the approaching machine, made the fatal mistake of assuming the mech was a friendly unit returning to the rear for repairs. Lyran sentries only issued a challenge once the Charger had come within thirty meters of the perimeter, at which point the Charger rushed forward and grappled the Lyran commander's Atlas before detonating his scuttling charge. The resulting explosion killed the commander and critically damaged the remaining mechs in his lance. Though this attack had only a minor affect on the ultimately futile campaign, the DCMS was encouraged enough to use the so called Suicide Charger again during the ninth battle for Hesperus II in 2957. In this case, of the lance of Suicide Chargers assigned to the operation, only one managed to do any significant damage.

Upon the ascension of Hohiro Kurita I, the Suicide Charger program was shelved, with all but a few restored to their original configuration. Reputedly, this last handful would be broken out of storage during the Clan War for the Battle of Luthien. Assigned to the "Omega Regiment" intended to serve as the last line of defense of the Imperial City, these mechs were thankfully not needed. Reports indicate that the last of these mechs was scrapped in 3053.

Design Quirks: Bad Reputation, Nonfunctional Item: Sensors, Nonfunctional Item: Life Support, Cooling System Flaw, No Ejection System.

Movement: 5/8
Engine: 400
BAR Rating: 5
Heat Sinks: 10
Gyro: Standard Gyro

Internal: 122
Armor: 108/247 Commercial
                     Internal    Armor
--------------------------------------
Head                        3        9
Center Torso               25       16
Center Torso (rear)                  5
Right Torso                17       12
Right Torso (rear)                   5
Left Torso                 17       12
Left Torso (rear)                    5
Right Arm                  13       10
Left Arm                   13       10
Right Leg                  17       12
Left Leg                   17       12

Equipment                      Loc
----------------------------------
Booby Trap                      CT
« Last Edit: 13 March 2017, 02:48:57 by Liam's Ghost »
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
Re: Charger 1A1-B, Hold my beer and watch this!
« Reply #1 on: 13 March 2017, 11:57:41 »
Wow, you really put the crazy pants on before you made this. Excellent.

I could actually see these converted to remotely piloted drones and paired with Shugoshas during the invasion of Luthien.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

CrazyGrasshopper

• Warrant Officer
Re: Charger 1A1-B, Hold my beer and watch this!
« Reply #2 on: 13 March 2017, 12:26:38 »
You could try using a Large Engine. Not for Charger, it's too heavy. You can probably fit 420 engine of some flavor on something. Because that's what Large Engines are useful for -- they make Booby Traps more effective.