Author Topic: Witch Heavy OmniMech  (Read 1736 times)

Cryhavok101

• Captain
Witch Heavy OmniMech
« on: 14 March 2017, 21:29:11 »
Witch Heavy OmniMech

The 75 ton member of the same family of OmniMechs as my Spellbinder.

Code: [Select]
Witch Base
 Mixed (Base Clan)
75 tons 

Movement: 4/6
Engine: 300 XL

Heat Sinks: 12 [24]
Gyro: Standard Gyro

Internal: 114
Armor: 231/231 (Stealth)
                     Internal    Armor
--------------------------------------
Center Torso               23       35
Center Torso (rear)                 11
Right Torso                16       24
Right Torso (rear)                   8
Left Torso                 16       24
Left Torso (rear)                    8
Right Arm                  12       24
Left Arm                   12       24
Right Leg                  16       32
Left Leg                   16       32

Equipment                      Loc
----------------------------------
Angel ECM Suite                 CT

A pretty standard 75 ton chassis, with a clan 300 xl engine, filled with 12 double heat sinks. This design incorporates stealth armor and an Angel ECM in the base chassis as well.

Witch Prime
BV: 2,737
Cost: 22,344,219 C-bills

Heat Sinks: 22 [44]

Weapon                         Loc  Heat
----------------------------------------
ER PPC                          RT    15
ER PPC                          LT    15
ER PPC                          RT    15
AP Gauss Rifle                  LA     1
SRM 4                           LA     3
SRM 4                           RA     3

Ammo                           Loc Shots
AP Gauss Rifle Ammo             HD    40
SRM 4 (Clan) Inferno Ammo       RA    25

As most of my Prime designated OmniMechs are, this one is a multi-threat machine. Five tons lighter and twice as fast as an Awesome, but with similar primary weapons, a trio of clan ER PPCs, make this a machine no one can afford to ignore. AP Gauss add in some short range fire than can sneak crits on opponents, or mow down infantry. Eight SRM tubes with inferno ammunition round out the load with the ability to quickly take care of Battle Armor or enemy tanks.

Witch A
BV: 2,421
Cost: 22,741,250 C-bills
LRM 20                          RT     6
LRM 20                          RT     6
LRM 20                          LT     6
LRM 20                          LT     6
AP Gauss Rifle                  RA     1
AP Gauss Rifle                  HD     1

LRM 20 Ammo                     RA     6
LRM 20 Ammo                     LA     6
AP Gauss Rifle Ammo             RA    40
AP Gauss Rifle Ammo             LA    40

The OmniMech's Missile Carrier, with a full Eighty Long Range Missile tubes, coupled with the stealth armor, it can make this a difficult 'Mech to deal with. Close in, seven Anti-Personnel Gauss weapons provide a solid punch, and are absolute murder to infantry.

Witch B
BV: 2,431
Cost: 22,891,094 C-bills

HAG/20                          RA     4
HAG/20                          LA     4
Plasma Cannon                   HD     7

HAG/20 Ammo                     RA     6
HAG/20 Ammo                     RA     6
HAG/20 Ammo                     LA     6
HAG/20 Ammo                     LA     6
Plasma Cannon Ammo              RT    10

Targeting Computer              LT
Light Active Probe              RT

Designated for Anti-Aircraft duties, this variant primarily relies on long range but accurate fire from twin class-20 Heavy Assault Gauss weapons. Supplementing that is a solitary  Plasma Cannon, designed to overheat a strafing fighter, causing it to lose control and crash, regardless of how skilled the pilot is at weathering the storm of gauss fletchettes.

Witch C
BV: 2,345
Cost: 23,190,234 C-bills

Heavy Flamer                    HD     5
iATM 12                         RT     8
MML 9 (IS)                      RA     5
Arrow IV                       LT/LA    10

Heavy Flamer Inferno Fluid      LA    10
iATM 12 IIW Ammo                RT     5
MML 9 LRM Thunder-Inferno Ammo  RA     6
MML 9 SRM Inferno Ammo          RA    11
Arrow IV Inferno Ammo           LA     5
Arrow IV FASCAM Ammo            LA     5
iATM 12 IMP Ammo                RT     5

Note: Ruling about mixed tech ammo: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=47832.msg1105783#msg1105783

The answer to the question "How do you make a Firestarter jealous?" Generally equipped with inferno ammunition for all weapons, unless a different load is specified, this mech is designed to burn a city to the ground. From artillery ranges it can lay down inferno Arrow IV missiles or FASCAM rounds. Closer in an opponent would have to deal with thunder-inferno rounds at long range, improved inferno rounds at midrange, standard inferno rounds at short range, and at point blank the Heavy Flamer opens up with even more inferno fluid. This variant is often only deployed to shroud a battlefield in long lasting smoke and fire, or to decimate infantry or tank formations. Though it can also be loaded with a variety of other ammunition types for any number of roles.

Witch D
BV: 2,444
Cost: 24,640,000 C-bills

Movement: 4/6/6

Centurion Weapon System         LT     4
Plasma Cannon                   RT     7
ER Large Laser                  LA    12
ER Large Laser                  RA    12

Plasma Cannon Ammo              RT    10

Retractable Blade               RA

This variant adds improved jump jets that can propel the machine 180 meters in a bound. A pair of Extended Range Large Lasers allow the 'Mech to dual at long range taking every advantage of the stealth armor and speed. It can also throw plasma at an enemy, causing them heat issues, and further allowing the 'Mech to act unhindered by enemies. The 'Mech's Centurion Weapons System capitalizes on Plasma Cannon's effects by disabling the fusion reactor's shielding on a target that gets to close, causing the safeties to shut the 'Mech down, leaving the victim at the mercy of the retractable blade that is this variant's last line of attack, a surprise for most who encounter it.

Jimmy the Tulip

• Corporal
Re: Witch Heavy OmniMech
« Reply #1 on: 14 March 2017, 21:45:35 »
I like the variety of roles you've covered with the different configurations. My only concern would be the heat build up the pilot would face, particularly while having Stealth activated. Nearly half your heat sinks will be kept busy with stealth alone.

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 14 March 2017, 22:09:21 »
That was sort of intentional, with a combination of not intending all the weapons to be firing at once, and knowing the unit will need to spend time cooling down rather than continuously firing. I tend to do that on a good number of my mechs, because it makes a game more interesting to me, and for various other reasons, like fitting on more dakka  ;D

Jimmy the Tulip

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 14 March 2017, 22:14:37 »
Haha! I understand. Everyone likes more dakka now and then. ;)

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 15 March 2017, 04:05:23 »
Always thought Clan Arrow IV only had Cluster , Homing , Illumination and Smoke ammo available .  That is why I always used the Inner Sphere version . Still the Plasma Rifle is a good choice for mix tech . You should make pods with 1 or 2 ER PPC  , 2 Steak LRM 10 s  and anything else you think would be nice . The Streak LRM is the most under utilized Clan tech weapon  . This mech is heavy enough to field range bracketed weapons for the available Heat Sinks .  As for the iATM and MML version I  thought the iATM was Society Clan only .

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 15 March 2017, 05:49:56 »
Always thought Clan Arrow IV only had Cluster, Homing, Illumination and Smoke ammo available.  That is why I always used the Inner Sphere version.

Ammo is one of those things that can be switched out pretty easily without changing anything else on the over-all design. I checked, and TO pg 415 shows FASCAM available to the clans, but not the Arrow IV. So a legal version of this wouldn't carry the Inferno ammo for that, and would carry probably regular or FASCAM ammo for it, possibly cluster or homing though. Fluff-wise though, since the ammo is the exact same size and has the exact same yield, it seems like it would be a basically trivial exercise to develop a clan-tech version of it, especially considering the Inner Sphere can produce clantech themselves at this point. For that reason, in my own home games I tend to ignore the idea that only matching tech base works in a launcher, but I am pretty sure that is a house rule, so I'll try to denote that on a design in the future, thanks for pointing it out. (OP edited now)

Still the Plasma Rifle is a good choice for mix tech. You should make pods with 1 or 2 ER PPC, 2 Steak LRM 10 s  and anything else you think would be nice. The Streak LRM is the most under utilized Clan tech weapon. This mech is heavy enough to field range bracketed weapons for the available Heat Sinks. 

Best thing about omnitech is that you can make custom variants pretty easily. Only reason I personally never use the Streak LRMs is because when it comes to LRMs I like all the special ammo types way too much, which you don't get with Streaks. Normally if I want long range damage, just for damage's sake, I'll use ER Large Lasers or ER PPCs.

As for the iATM and MML version I  thought the iATM was Society Clan only.

Or anyone who manages to reverse engineer it or acquire the technology from the Coyotes. That does point me in a good direction for writing fluff for this though, thanks.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 16 March 2017, 09:38:34 »
I do not think the Clan Arrow IV is the same size just the same mass for ammo per shot . The Launcher has fewer tonnage AND Crit Space .  Yes it has the same yield but more propellant as it goes 17 hexes further . As for modifying the launcher to shoot Inner Sphere ammo I can just about believe it as TO Pg 415 but at that point it should not be able to shoot Clan ammo anymore . Either way the maintenance rolls get a +2 difficulty . Clearly a Dark Age mech because of the Mix tech Plasma Rifle and i ATMs . Mix tech is very common in the the Dark Age as many designs have 1 weapon or system that is the other tech base .

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 16 March 2017, 10:56:04 »
To be clear, I wasn't talking about modifying the Launcher, i was talking about modifying the warheads.

The same yield and the same mass on the munition, but longer range tells me it either has more efficient explosives in a smaller amount to make up for the larger amount of propellant, or it has the same amount of explosives, with a more efficient propellant.

Under the assumption that is is the same explosives, but a more efficient propellant, then it has the same volume to change to different warheads. Pulling the inferno stuff out of a Inner Sphere warhead, and fitting it into a clan warhead probably wouldn't be very difficult. Especially if you have the ability to manufacture both yourself anyway.

If it is actually the other way and the munitions have more propellant and a more efficient explosive, then you can reduce the propellant in the clan missile to make room for the slightly larger inferno warhead, which would reduce the clan missile to inner sphere range, however, still being a clan missile would fire just fine out of a clan launcher.

Either one would be a pretty trivial thing to develop in 3145 tech levels. It might be more difficult if you were trying to do it on the floor of your 'Mech bay, but if you are doing in your own manufacturing plant, this is not going to be an issue. Especially if you can already manufacture both Clan and Inner Sphere technology yourself.

I am under the assumption that the only reason for the separation between Clan and Inner Sphere ammo types like this is for game balance, not any good fluff reason beyond 'no one has bothered to do that yet'.

CrazyGrasshopper

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 16 March 2017, 11:49:33 »
There was a ruling on using weapon and ammo of different tech bases somewhere in the Rules Questions section. Unfortunately, I can't find it, but, as I remember, the ruling was that if either ammo or the weapon are of IS tech base, then the range is counted for IS weapon. So, to have an advantage of Clan weaponry range, you need both the launcher and the missiles to be of Clan origin. But, in principle, one can use IS ammo in Clan launchers, and vice versa. You can try asking Xotl or searching for that thread.

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 16 March 2017, 15:25:36 »
Found it: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=47832.msg1105783#msg1105783

Interesting. I find that perfectly acceptable to me personally. Now I can remove the note in the OP about that version.

CrazyGrasshopper

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 16 March 2017, 15:48:15 »
And I was only partially correct -- Arrow IV keeps the range of its origin.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 17 March 2017, 05:41:19 »
Regrets , forgot about that ruling . I came at the issue as an Inner Sphere Faction using Clan tech , and not Clan using Inner Sphere technology . Clan units just deal with a maintenance issues while Inner Sphere deals with both maintenance issues and paying 2-2.8X ammo costs so I abandoned the idea .