Author Topic: Homebrew #11: SHD-2H Shadow Hawk  (Read 1368 times)

Ang Moh Siao

• Sergeant
Homebrew #11: SHD-2H Shadow Hawk
« on: 17 March 2017, 03:08:58 »

Despite being somewhat of a jack-of-no-trades in the actual tabletop game, the Shadow Hawk was pretty much THE face of the franchise a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.  It was the cover of the freakin' rulebook, fer goodness sakes, as well as being the star in several popular novels, featured in cartoons, and even available as a large-scale plastic model kit at one point, apparently.  <sigh>  Wish I coulda gotten my hands on one of those.  But even though I never managed to get a model kit, nor ever actually much liked to play using this particular 'mech, I sure did spend a lot of time admiring the art.  It's a good-lookin' battlemech, whatever other marginal qualities it might have.  And then it went and got unseened.  Dammit!  Totally no fair!

So here's the reference art I mostly used; it's from the Holy Scripture of 3025:

The wire armature.  I ended up having to use a little superglue on the twisted part to keep it from slipping.

This used up the last of my block of green Premo.  I'll have to go to a different colour for the next one.

C.O. Gamma Company: First Singapore Irregulars
--Non calor sed umor est qui nobis incommodat--

Ang Moh Siao

• Sergeant
Re: Homebrew #11: SHD-2H Shadow Hawk
« Reply #1 on: 17 March 2017, 03:24:47 »
The AC-5 barrel is another bit of that small tubing.  I drilled a hole through the breech and glued in a pin to go down through the shoulder to lock it in place.  I also used a bit of wire to form that suitcase handle shaped antenna that's a hallmark of the Shadow Hawk.

The Medium Laser mounted on the starboard arm is another one of those carved toothpicks.  Hmmm. . .come to think of it, that same sort of toothpick has also been used to represent Med. Lasers on the Locust and the Stinger, an AC-5 on the Wolverine, and both AC-5's and Large Lasers on the Rifleman now. . .
Oh well, who knew that mere toothpicks could be so versatile?

Ang Moh Siao

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 17 March 2017, 03:25:39 »
And so, I give you the Shadow Hawk!

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #3 on: 17 March 2017, 05:10:02 »
Just wanted to pop in and let you know that I'm loving all of these designs. It's got me fired up to clean off the workbench and take a go at it myself.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Ang Moh Siao

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 26 March 2017, 02:42:10 »
. . . . It's got me fired up to clean off the workbench and take a go at it myself.

Hooray!  Madness shared is madness made better! 

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #5 on: 26 March 2017, 08:36:44 »
Nice! (I think my fondness for the Shadow Hawk dates from that rulebook cover, too - and at least in that period of the game, it was semi-effective! Still a damn cool-looking 'mech (and sculpt!) even with the flaws.)
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 26 March 2017, 11:13:17 »
Hooray!  Madness shared is madness made better!

It isn't so much madness, as it is going to the Dark Side... Diamond Shark, who also likes to sculpt his own stuff, will be happy to know there is another Sith Lord out there. He keeps trying to tempt me over, but I prefer to only dabble.

Caz