Author Topic: Campaign Operations mods  (Read 1219 times)

Lord greystroke

• Sergeant
Campaign Operations mods
« on: 20 March 2017, 13:36:12 »
Campaign Operations so after reading it was was thinking of some minor changes to the unit creation side of things and decided to see what you guys think.

1 after 3055 -1 to get basic 3025 units makes sense to me that its easier to get old units at this point
2, a -1 to get faction specific units so I would say thing you faction builds anything else is as standard

this is all I can think off quickly anyone else had similar ideas or suggestions

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
Re: Campaign Operations mods
« Reply #1 on: 22 March 2017, 16:15:55 »
Certainly seems reasonable to me.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

boilerman

• Lieutenant
  • Spinning wrenches since 1968.
« Reply #2 on: 22 March 2017, 22:33:10 »
I wish they would've broken the medics out of the administrative personnel. In previous unit creation rules medical was a separate group. It is in SO too.
Minor nitpick, though, I think overall the Force Creation and Force Operations rules are an outstanding success.

Thanks CGL for all the hard work.
« Last Edit: 22 March 2017, 22:35:09 by boilerman »
Avatar by Wombat. Thanks Wombat!

Lord greystroke

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 23 March 2017, 13:18:13 »
Agreed the Admin and medical stuff was better in the old rules but overall its a really good set of rules

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #4 on: 23 March 2017, 17:22:15 »
I wish they would've broken the medics out of the administrative personnel.

The medics are broken out of the administrative personnel. If you want medics that have a useful in-game effect then you may equip your force with MASH systems (p. 228 Tech Manual) and/or paramedic gear (p. 233 TM) and appropriate quantities of standalone MASH personnel/paramedic infantry (p. 169 StratOps, p. 341 Tactical Operations) and use the appropriate MASH rules in Strategic Operations (p. 187). If you don't want or use that level of detail in your supporting forces, then you've got some nominal doctors among the generic administrators.

The same goes for other specialty support for your force like artillery, engineers, logistics vehicles, etc. There are now rules for all those and they're broken out if you want to use them. Fortunately, BT hasn't added administrator or bureaucrat infantry types yet since they don't do much in combat (though we've seen persuasive arguments to the contrary ;) ), so those were kept in Campaign Operations' force creation rules.

In previous unit creation rules medical was a separate group.

The former force creation system only required a few doctors in a force and integrated poorly with the pre-Total Warfare MASH rules, let alone current ones as existed by the time Campaign Operations were drafted.

Agreed the Admin and medical stuff was better in the old rules but overall its a really good set of rules

What points of administrators in the older force creation rules stand out as more useful than the current? There's always room for errata in the current rules if you spot something handy, like something that steamlines current rules.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Lord greystroke

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 23 March 2017, 17:37:47 »
I just liked knowing how many doctors I had in the old set so if I was in RPG game were we had used the creation rules I knew that I only needed make a singe say NPC doctor and name one person thats the only reason I liked that part of the old rules really.

As my next unit will have so many admin staff I must give them guns for when I need anther infantry platoon LOL

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 23 March 2017, 18:01:15 »
I agree that the number of admin looks kind of absurd but if you read over it it does say that admin personnel are a catchall for units that would normally be in a unit anyway and not just file clerks.

As far as the medical change, it would still be nice to have something close to the old rules on the number of medical personnel that are required to keep the units other personnel healthy much like what was in Merc Handbook 3055. There is still a good deal of information that is useful from that book that didn't make it into FMMr or CO.

boilerman

• Lieutenant
  • Spinning wrenches since 1968.
« Reply #7 on: 23 March 2017, 21:37:21 »
The medics are broken out of the administrative personnel. If you want medics that have a useful in-game effect then you may equip your force with MASH systems (p. 228 Tech Manual) and/or paramedic gear (p. 233 TM) and appropriate quantities of standalone MASH personnel/paramedic infantry (p. 169 StratOps, p. 341 Tactical Operations) and use the appropriate MASH rules in Strategic Operations (p. 187). If you don't want or use that level of detail in your supporting forces, then you've got some nominal doctors among the generic administrators.
Which is basically what I do, that is, break medics out StratOps and TacOps style.
Avatar by Wombat. Thanks Wombat!

Nebfer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 24 March 2017, 12:00:13 »
Personally I list
Admins (calculated per normal, though at the battalion level, half goes to Btln admins the rest get bumped to regimental)
Medical (5 man team per company, 4 teams per battalion, 11 teams per regiment (2 MASH trucks))
Kitchen (3 man team per company, battalion, regiment unless more is needed (3 men operate a field kitchen which feeds 150 per day -Tac ops))
Maintenance (all units have their attached tech, with 1 to 4 squads of astechs per company, 2-8 teams per btln  over all numbers dependent on unit type, foot infantry have the fewest, heavy tanks and battlemechs the most.)

While I generally don't, I would also do Coms units (I often just lump them under Admins though)
I also prefer that Supply units be separated from their Astech maintenance overlords, currently I take that the "free" 5th tech team you get with every 4 assigned tech teams is really the supply unit who moonlights as a tech team (found in strat ops).

I also add a 7 man squad for all companys as it's command staff, battalion and regimental have a various number, dependent on the type generally 2-4 squads of inf with a platoon of vehs

Generally I follow the Org listed in the 4th SW atlas, so the regiments are a bit bigger than what is typically shown.

Register