Author Topic: Help Customizing Stormcrow  (Read 2845 times)

JerseyMekWorks

• Recruit
Help Customizing Stormcrow
« on: 09 April 2017, 19:48:44 »
In the current Clan Invasion campaign I'm playing, I've found a custom Stormcrow (Ryoken) configuration that I absolutely love. I run two versions of it, depending on the terrain.

Here's the open terrain version (no jump jets):
Ryoken (Stormcrow)  Brawler 55t, 6/9/0, XLFE, ES; 9.5T/98% FF Armor; 10 DHS; 2 ERML, 3 MPL, 1 LB20
The LB-20X is in the right arm (I'm right handed), 3 Med Pulse are in the left arm and the ML are in the head and RT.

If the map is congested, I run the jump jet version:
Ryoken (Stormcrow)  Mobile 55t, 6/9/6, XLFE, ES; 9.5T/98% FF Armor; 10 DHS; 1 ERML, 1 SSRM6, 1 LB20
The autocannon stays in the right arm, the Streak is in the left torso and the ML is in the head.

I'm relatively new to miniatures, so hard core kit bashing is likely not an option, I'd like to use existing Omni / Scrapyard parts from IWM as much as possible. I won't be able to make my own parts and will only really be able to assemble parts that are meant to go together - pinning and Loctite, not breaking down and rebuilding tiny bits.

So, how would I go about building either the Brawler or Mobile configurations of the Stormcrow? Which Stormcrow should I use as a base, 20-320? Should I use Scrapyard Omni parts or another model's arms? The model doesn't have to be perfect, just pretty close... so a big gun in the right arm and some smaller guns in the left or SRM 6 in the torso.

Appreciate your help and insights!

Luciora

• Major
Re: Help Customizing Stormcrow
« Reply #1 on: 10 April 2017, 02:29:15 »
 Most of the parts you want like the AC and the LRMs are in the omni parts section.  What you may run into is representing the lasers on the head and CT being a bit harder to pull off since most of the stand alone laser bits won't mount well due to size, location or space.  You might want to just handwave them and have the main weapons on the mini to represent them.

The original Ryoken release was molded with a twin SRM rack in the chest, but might be too small for your needs.  The new sculpt is pretty easy to work with, does cone with an alternate arm set with an Ultra AC but is mounted on the left side.  I'm sure there is a right arm mount you could order though from another Omni with a more cannon look than gatling though.   As for the chest wespons, that might take a bit of work as well, since you would be adding the weapons over the existing molding.

JerseyMekWorks

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 10 April 2017, 21:19:48 »
OK, so I looked through the IWM online store... I would appreciate your thoughts and feedback as I've never purchased Omni parts or built my own mini...

OP-054 Masakari A Right Arm or OP-070 Uller B Right Arm for the LB-20X
20-320 Ryoken (Stormcrow) for the legs, torso and left arm

Thoughts??????

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 10 April 2017, 23:44:01 »
For your brawler, it's possible with that Masakari arm.   You might have to mount it a bit higher than expected however as the Ryoken has very low arm clearance.   For the left arm, you could go with the Ryoken D arm and order the Pariah A weapon set.  Yes they are heavy lasers, but its a triple mount that should work well and frankly, probably the best option if you are not going the modding route.

For the other lasers, the Dragonfly A laser parts are a good generic laser you can place.  You just have to figure out how to place them on the head and torsos.

For your jumper, using the Koshi B SRM-6 and offsetting it to the right side of the torso should be ok.

Also, are you open to non-omni parts for your custom build?   How strongly do you feel about the 3 arm actuators as well?

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #4 on: 11 April 2017, 17:04:08 »
Will the B variant work for you? If the Ultra works for you as an LB, you would only have to trim some lasers off the other arm to make it work.

JerseyMekWorks

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: 11 April 2017, 19:52:11 »
I was thinking about the B variant, aside from the AC being on the wrong side. I just imagine my right arm being the big gun... a hold over from Eclipse Phase where I'd just sleeve into the 'Mech...

Clearly the B variant is the simplest solution, and I just change my Omni variants to put the LB-20X in the left arm. Making the left arm the big gun, so I have to change my table body language to '******' my left arm when firing an LB-20X slug... :)

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #6 on: 11 April 2017, 20:40:17 »
Your only options for big AC in the right arm are the Uller B, Gladiator C, and Masakari A. For left arms with ACs, there is the Ryoken B and the Thor Prime. Slim pickings. Using a gauss arm instead picks you up a few more options.

You can probably order Black Hawk Prime arms to help with the other arm if needed.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 11 April 2017, 22:42:09 »
Looking at my Stormcrow and the weapon choices, Blackhawk arms might be best.  The Uller B arm just might clear the thigh, barely.

The pictures are to show your available clearance of the arms to the legs, its a tough fit.  I dont have an unfinished Ryoken to show a proper pre-fit sans arms.
« Last Edit: 12 April 2017, 09:41:17 by Luciora »

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #8 on: 12 April 2017, 09:33:39 »
The Uller arm doesn't look quite right. The two parts aren't meeting correctly.

The Black Hawk arm appears to be the ones from an A variant. They are actually Loki arms in case someone is looking at using them. The regular Black Hawk arms (Prime, H, and most variants other than the A) are like the Ryoken ones with the wide socket for attaching. I've had to pin the A variant ones in place.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 12 April 2017, 09:39:04 »
Correct.   I don't have an unfinished Ryoken to take a proper pre-fit picture of and should have clarifiedi was just showing the available clearance of the arms to the top of the legs, apologies.

The Uller arm doesn't look quite right. The two parts aren't meeting correctly.

The Black Hawk arm appears to be the ones from an A variant. They are actually Loki arms in case someone is looking at using them. The regular Black Hawk arms (Prime, H, and most variants other than the A) are like the Ryoken ones with the wide socket for attaching. I've had to pin the A variant ones in place.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #10 on: 12 April 2017, 18:01:01 »
No worries. I was only trying to point out that the Uller arm was a little longer than it would be. I think it would be fine as long as there is an appropriate torso twist but you need to make sure the other arm is good.

Heavyguard

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 12 April 2017, 20:44:53 »
http://i.imgur.com/qt1jsfF.jpg Masakari A RA and Black Hawk Prime LA
http://i.imgur.com/RWHL6yj.jpg Same as above but with Dasher Prime RA flipped for use as an SSRM6 on the LA if you arent opposed to moving it. You can then use the same mini for the 2 variants and can magnetise the one arm. The CT already has a ERML in it as well.
« Last Edit: 12 April 2017, 20:46:57 by Heavyguard »

JerseyMekWorks

• Recruit
« Reply #12 on: 14 April 2017, 07:46:37 »
Wow, thanks for the pics and suggestions- looks like Masakari A RA and Blackhawk Prime LA will work. Is there leg clearance?

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 15 April 2017, 11:29:04 »
That does look good.

Draco

• Private
« Reply #14 on: 18 April 2017, 16:58:57 »
http://ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=4388 OP-030 Gladiator C Right Arm should be a identical but mirrored equivalent to the Stormcrow B AC/20 left arm.

The SRM 6 front plate from OP-098  Missile Launcher Front Plate Sprues (3) glued to the torso might work for your torso SRM launcher, but it might be too large to fit snug to the torso. Carefully cutting the face off of OP-052 Koshi B SRM6 would get you something that will almost certainly fit and match the style of other clan launchers, but would be more work.
As a more expensive, slightly less difficult alternative, you could get OP-092 Ryoken A Torso, which has an SRM 6 sculpted into both side torsos. Cut or file off the missiles on the right side and you'd be good to go, careful work with a fresh Xacto knife would probably do it. For reference: http://d15yciz5bluc83.cloudfront.net/wp-content/gallery/omni-images/RyokenALeft.png?x64300.

If you want to go crazy with the RT lasers, you could use a couple from OP-039 Dragonfly A Lasers (4), just drill a pair of holes in the shoulder part of the Torso and glue them in. Maybe shorten them a but so they don't stick out so much, or drill extra deep. Again, more work than plug and play, but throwing it out there if you want lots of greebly detail.

The Stormcrow B RA should be identical to a Nova Prime RA, so the Nova Prime LA should have no problem clearing the leg. If anything, the Nova arm may be sculpted so that it's held higher up, so it should be fine.  OP-091 Ryoken A Left Arm, which should look like the picture above, has 4 Medium Pulse Lasers. Not sure what would be tougher, cutting off one laser from the tight cluster of the Ryoken A LA, or just clipping/ignoring three bits from the Nova Prime LA. Probably go with the Nova arm for simplicity.

Heavyguard

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 19 April 2017, 10:06:02 »
Wow, thanks for the pics and suggestions- looks like Masakari A RA and Blackhawk Prime LA will work. Is there leg clearance?

I believe so but as this is all still sitting on my desk I can work it up tonight to check for you.

Heavyguard

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 20 April 2017, 08:20:22 »
I didnt get pictures but by loosely holding it together there is a tiny bit leg interference. I was able to get around it slightly by angling the arm away from the waist. The other option might be to cut of the small hydraulic looking piece on the bottom of the Masakari A arm.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #17 on: 20 April 2017, 11:00:13 »
Will a torso twist help?

Heavyguard

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 20 April 2017, 11:29:49 »