Author Topic: The 'Mechs that never see use in your games  (Read 13281 times)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: The 'Mechs that never see use in your games
« Reply #30 on: 17 April 2017, 23:15:33 »
Agreed.  The original Rifleman is just too poorly designed. 

I generally do not use the 20 tonners as for the speed there are better units or a hovertank can do the job better. 

I never use the Urbanmech.

I've had fun with a # of the 20 tonners..  The fireball, the flea, hornet, locust, stingers and wasps.  Even gave a mercury a go once..

The Withworth is very good in its role. Reasonably mobile 2xLRM-10 is incredibly useful in a game limited to only introductory tech or low amounts of Star League tech. Triple ML is excellent armament for close combat (and it is basically perfectly bracketed fighter). And it is quite tough for its size.
At the same time, the 'Mech is not exactly dangerous to elicit a response so it can slowly chip away at enemies... or it gets targeted and your other units aren't.

I agree.  I've had good experiences with the whitworth..

So many mechs in BT, it's easy to ignore the less shiny ones.

Especially if you use all the Tros..  If say you stick to the first 2 and 3055 which is when the clans first showed up, there's imo a more managble number to use all over time..

About the only 'Mech in my moderately sizable collection that I've probably never actually fielded in a battle is an Assassin, and only because I've got several other light and medium 'Mechs that perform basically the same role..

Cause of my made up mechs, i always can find a role for a mech mini.  This 40 tonner represents THAT 40 tonner..

It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #31 on: 18 April 2017, 06:44:18 »
Everyone has their own Tastes. JHB.

Shame to miss out on the quailty of a Griffin thou.

Yeoman. Have 2 don't think they've ever been on the table.

A lot of the ATM boats get passed over by me. Except one Savage Coyote I bought just so anther player couldn't use it on us at the time.
Funny coincidence, Hellbie's games often see Yeomen and ATM boats show up.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #32 on: 18 April 2017, 08:11:39 »
Funny coincidence, Hellbie's games often see Yeomen and ATM boats show up.

ATM boats, LRM boats, and no players.  :'(

But yeah, I do like the Yeoman. It does look stupid, I mean come on, but that's a whole mess of missiles downrange (same salvo as an LGB-0W from a few decades earlier on a much smaller package). Combined with Marik's semi-guided rounds, a Yeoman becomes an unholy beast to deal with. A couple of them backed by a good TAG spotter (Ostscout?) and a Hunchback as a bodyguard for the Yeomans is as solid of a team as one can build. Are there BETTER LRM options? Sure. Marik play isn't about BETTER Mechs- it's about using several flawed units to cover one another's problems to create a cohesive machine. And with its slow speed and total lack of defensive weaponry, a Yeoman is the personification of that way of thinking.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #34 on: 18 April 2017, 08:57:15 »
Alpha Strike got me to use a lot of my 'Mechs.  Everything becomes useful.

The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: 18 April 2017, 10:08:11 »
If you count MegaMek, there isn't a whole lot that I've avoided. I'll try darn near anything against the bot to pass the time. When it comes to table-top though, I don't think I've ever actually put a Stinger or a Wasp on the table. I own at least one of each, but I've never played with them. Since I don't get to play TT all that much, when I do, I don't like taking situational or easily vaporized mechs, and the 6/9/6 bug mechs always just feel like a wasted slot to me. On the other end of things, I don't think I've every intentionally brought a 2/3 mech to a TT game. I've played them electronically, but I don't think I've ever put something like an Urbanmech down on a real table. I find them too annoyingly immobile, and leave them in the box.

Technically, I have plenty of minis that have never seen the table, but mostly because I ramped up on collecting them in the past couple years, but don't have time to get them into physical games. But that isn't really in the spirit of what the OP was asking.

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 18 April 2017, 12:41:22 »
Think of them as one-shot jump jets.

Kit, I believe you may be the only person in Battletech who might advocate the full-leg ejection system with a straight face.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #37 on: 19 April 2017, 11:56:53 »
A lot of 3055 designs.

I don't have a lot of them, mini-wise. A lot of them are too ugly to justify owning an official BT model of.

I also find that while I've fielded a lot from 3025, 2750 and 3050, anything that isn't Faction Specific generally gets sidelined in our ongoing campaign games. This includes a lot of the 40-tonners, which there are a lot of.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 19 April 2017, 18:59:37 »
The Mauler DC mech  . AN ASSAULT MECH with a bunch of AC/2s and some energy weapons . Lack luster performance in combat but I think the real reason I don't see it much the mini requires pinning the arms on and people just don't want to go through that kind of effort for a mech they don't want to use anyway. This includes me . Seen it in combat twice  in thirty years.

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #39 on: 19 April 2017, 21:55:45 »
I am probably not the only one but there are a lot of mechs, vehicles and infantry that I have never used.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 20 April 2017, 01:15:18 »
The Mauler DC mech  . AN ASSAULT MECH with a bunch of AC/2s and some energy weapons . Lack luster performance in combat but I think the real reason I don't see it much the mini requires pinning the arms on and people just don't want to go through that kind of effort for a mech they don't want to use anyway. This includes me . Seen it in combat twice  in thirty years.

I honestly don't know what dunce made that mech up!

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: 20 April 2017, 04:52:40 »
Someone made a varient of the Mauler with 4 light AC/5s and 2 Snub-Nosed PPCs for Urban defense but that happens very late in the timeline . Since the mini is such a hassle to put together I never seen it fielded.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #42 on: 20 April 2017, 05:40:13 »
Got a snarky one here: Anything painted up in FWL colors

SteveUK

• Sergeant
« Reply #43 on: 20 April 2017, 06:45:16 »
Quads and Quad Vee's, I can't remember ever having played a 4 legged mech, I do own the miniatures but I don't think I've ever fielded one in a game. ???

Pooman

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #44 on: 20 April 2017, 07:13:30 »
Charger 1A1. Not used once since its purchase 20 years ago. Not just because of its crapness but I hate the model. Love the Charger 1A5 on the other hand.
PM me if you live in Perth Western Australia and are after a game. Please!

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #45 on: 20 April 2017, 08:33:08 »
Charger 1A1. Not used once since its purchase 20 years ago. Not just because of its crapness but I hate the model. Love the Charger 1A5 on the other hand.
What's not to like about it?  It's actually a pretty decent Medium 'Mech, except that it happens to weigh 80 tons.  Anything within its 8 hex movement range is at risk of a 16 point kick or a pair of 8 point punches, so the pathetic weapons selection is nearly irrelevant.  Put one on the table and other players joke about it and wonder what you were thinking.....except for the few who remember the LAST time it appeared and start to back away from it.

Diamondshark

• Lieutenant
  • Bringing back the enlightenment to the Star League
« Reply #46 on: 20 April 2017, 09:36:55 »
What's not to like about it?  It's actually a pretty decent Medium 'Mech, except that it happens to weigh 80 tons.  Anything within its 8 hex movement range is at risk of a 16 point kick or a pair of 8 point punches, so the pathetic weapons selection is nearly irrelevant.  Put one on the table and other players joke about it and wonder what you were thinking.....except for the few who remember the LAST time it appeared and start to back away from it.

Basically, the Charger is a pair of legs and a reactor, with a bunch of useless things attached to soak up damage. Go up to bad things and kick them until they stop resisting, and don't mind losing arms and side torsos; they were red herrings, anyway.
"We are the Clans, the Star League incarnate.
None can stand against us and survive."

-- The Remembrance, Passage 272, Verse 8, Lines 18-19

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 20 April 2017, 09:54:04 »

It can also, you know, charge.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #48 on: 20 April 2017, 16:09:16 »
Quads and Quad Vee's, I can't remember ever having played a 4 legged mech, I do own the miniatures but I don't think I've ever fielded one in a game. ???

I've used a lot of quads over the years.  Though i always preferred the unseen Goliath, i loved the Trantula, even if it was a mess to put together..

Don Lunardi

• Master Sergeant
  • Purple on Purple!
« Reply #49 on: 21 April 2017, 09:49:57 »
I've used a lot of quads over the years.  Though i always preferred the unseen Goliath, i loved the Trantula, even if it was a mess to put together..

Clearly since both designs have trouble getting love, someone needs to organize a game of Goliaths vs Griffins!

with maybe a lone Shadow Hawk thrown in there
"Andurien: It's Hell with Jump Points!" - Failed Marketing Slogan for Tourism Andurien, circa 2398

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #50 on: 21 April 2017, 09:54:01 »
It can also, you know, charge.
Well yes, there is that little detail (Who'd have guessed that a Charger could charge?), but a much less safe option in most cases.  A charge attack carries a higher to-hit number, and the penalties for missing are more dangerous, plus you take damage even if you succeed.  Besides, casually strolling up and kicking them is a much more "dignified"  and controllable way of expressing your discontent at their political views than by running into them, soiling your immaculate paint scheme, and scattering damage all over the place.
« Last Edit: 21 April 2017, 09:56:30 by Kovax »

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #51 on: 21 April 2017, 10:11:59 »
Its just the sometimes there's a stupid Rifleman ignoring the Charger in back of him so I just want to run through him like the Kool Aid Man through a brick wall. It's so satisfying to yell, "Oh yeah!" after coring him....

bluedragon7

• Sergeant
« Reply #52 on: 21 April 2017, 13:57:42 »
The older the TRO, the more likely I have used a mech from it. I don't think there is any mech from 3025 that did not appear in my games on either side.
But if I look at the latest early Jihad Era game, maybe only 10-15% of mechs were from that era.

By Mech I mean a specific chassis, not just a specific model.

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #53 on: 21 April 2017, 14:41:08 »
Well yes, there is that little detail (Who'd have guessed that a Charger could charge?), but a much less safe option in most cases.  A charge attack carries a higher to-hit number, and the penalties for missing are more dangerous, plus you take damage even if you succeed.  Besides, casually strolling up and kicking them is a much more "dignified"  and controllable way of expressing your discontent at their political views than by running into them, soiling your immaculate paint scheme, and scattering damage all over the place.

True.  But way less fun and cool.
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

Ang Moh Siao

• Sergeant
« Reply #54 on: 23 April 2017, 04:51:52 »
I know that summa you youngsters like 'em just fine, but I absolutely despise all the 'mechs that came along with the nonsense that happened after the "official timeline" advancing past, say, 3047.
Clan 'mechs? Blech! I hate everything about them, and especially the storyline. 

In my universe, that abortion that is the Clan Invasion never happened, and never will. The clock is stopped, and that calendar page ain't never gonna turn!

Also, you damn kids get offa my lawn!  <shakes fist!>
 >:(
C.O. Gamma Company: First Singapore Irregulars
--Non calor sed umor est qui nobis incommodat--

Don Lunardi

• Master Sergeant
  • Purple on Purple!
« Reply #55 on: 24 April 2017, 09:50:36 »
Its just the sometimes there's a stupid Rifleman ignoring the Charger in back of him so I just want to run through him like the Kool Aid Man through a brick wall. It's so satisfying to yell, "Oh yeah!" after coring him....

Great, now I am never going to be able to look at the Big Red Charger attached to Sorenson's Sabres (or any other Sword of Light Charger for that matter) the same way again...
"Andurien: It's Hell with Jump Points!" - Failed Marketing Slogan for Tourism Andurien, circa 2398

Generalstoner

• Corporal
  • "Iron Within. Iron Without."
« Reply #56 on: 24 April 2017, 11:11:36 »
The Clint and the Sunder.  In 3025 I actually had 2 Clints painted but never fielded them... ever.  I also had a Sunder that was painted up in a Sword of Light scheme that I never field but once.
Twelve Highlanders and a Bagpipe make a Rebellion.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #57 on: 24 April 2017, 11:18:12 »
The Clint and the Sunder.  In 3025 I actually had 2 Clints painted but never fielded them... ever.  I also had a Sunder that was painted up in a Sword of Light scheme that I never field but once.

I'll back you on the Sunder- that lack of CASE means I've never seen one leave the field in any way but in multiple high-velocity chunks on assorted vectors.  ;D

The Clint though... man, that 3050 version with the ER PPC is just fun. Not perfect, but a lot of fun.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Crimson Dawn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #58 on: 24 April 2017, 14:40:49 »
I'll back you on the Sunder- that lack of CASE means I've never seen one leave the field in any way but in multiple high-velocity chunks on assorted vectors.  ;D

The Clint though... man, that 3050 version with the ER PPC is just fun. Not perfect, but a lot of fun.

I always liked that clint.  I have always been a fan of designs that replace ACs with PPCs.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #59 on: 24 April 2017, 14:42:27 »
I always liked that clint.  I have always been a fan of designs that replace ACs with PPCs.

Well, there is that Rifleman....

Register