Author Topic: Mechanized Infantry - what good are they?  (Read 1352 times)

StingerTheRaven

• Private
  • Vroom
Mechanized Infantry - what good are they?
« on: 14 April 2017, 15:51:48 »
Hello,
I've been looking into various units on the MUL, particularly infantry, and noticed something a bit off: Mechanized infantry just don't seem points-efficient compared to anything.
IS Mechanized Hover vs. IS Jump vs. Savannah Master

Looking at the cards, I can't help but notice how Mechanized infantry have next to no health, relatively little movement, and no ability to execute Anti-'Mech attacks. They're too big to be seriously carried by anything but the biggest Support Vehicles, and everything they can do, the other two linked above can do better.

Savannah Master vs. IS Hover Mechanized:
26"h > 10"h
TMM4 > TMM2
PV10 < PV9
The SM seems to be capable of filling the same role as the infantry can, far better, and for negligibly higher points cost. The infantry aren't BA, so they don't get a +1 modifier - they'd still be TMM3 anyway - and they can't benefit from standstill accuracy.

IS Jump vs. IS Hover Mechanized:
6"j < 10"h
TMM1+jump = TMM2 (remember Infantry can jump without suffering accuracy penalty)
2arm > 1arm
AM > no AM
CAR4 > CAR20 (you can actually put them in an APC, and if you're using Prowlers, 2 jump platoons can fit in 1 transport)
PV11 < PV9
Jump infantry better fill the general Infantry role of crit-seeking ambushers, particularly since they actually can seek crits, while Mechanized infantry can't. Jumpers can survive 2 damage, meaning they can seriously fight some light 'mechs even on their own just by being careful. PV cost for multiple still doesn't justify it; 22pts for 4HP, 2-4 crits per turn, and total CAR8 is far better than 18pts for 2HP, 0-2 crits, which can't even hide in APCs, and it doesn't really go in Mechanized favour until you start buying obscene amounts of infantry to the point it'd just be better to grab some arty or 'mechs & tanks instead.

It doesn't get any better for the Clans; Mechanized Hover Points vs. Jump Points vs. Motorized Points vs. Foot Points vs. Fire Moth Hotel or Echo

Mechanized still has almost no health compared to the other options; FOOT INFANTRY becomes a serious contender, especially if you're willing to grab an APC (almost no way to use foot infantry without one), and all other forms of infantry can take far more punishment as well - a must when facing ridiculously high-damage Clan assets - and thus, have more chances to dish it back out.

And, as with the IS, Mechanized Hover Points have a counterpart 'mech that does the job better: the Fire Moth, which I list the 2/1/1 Echo variant, and the ridiculous 5/0/0 Hotel; versus Mechanized points, the former can fire once from range, then finish up close, and the latter can just instakill even Motorized and Foot points, both for a mere 2 extra PV assuming you always use laser infantry.

For both Clan and IS Mechanized infantry, I just don't see the point; if infantry mobility is a problem, there are plenty of speedy APCs on both sides, (Svantovit, Maxim, and Anhur for Clan, and a massive plethora for IS) and if you want a cheap ambusher, just use the other infantry and their AM attacks. Raw damage output isn't it; almost no Field Guns are actually present on MUL, and you have BA and Urbanmechs for that anyway. If you need a cheap arty spotter, there are plenty of VTOLs, 'mechs, and Battle Armour dedicated to the task. If you only want cheap cannon fodder to throw at the enemy and forget about, just use Foot infantry; they cost less and can eat more damage.

Can anyone enlighten me to any possible unique (I.E. should be your go-to answer for the problem) usage of Mechanized infantry in Alpha Strike, no matter how ultra-specific it may be?

ps. hi forums!

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Mechanized Infantry - what good are they?
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2017, 16:22:42 »
They can move around faster than foot infantry w/o need of an APC.  And they're dirt cheap in PV.

Sometimes all you need is a pawn. To be a spotter. Or to provide presence for scenario objectives.  If you want infantry that's actually gonna kill stuff, yeah mechanized is probably not your best option.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 14 April 2017, 16:26:34 »
Oh yeah, and be aware of the PV reevaluation they're doing.  Those tmm 4 APCs and omnimechs are going to become fairly more PV intensive... when that happens the self-contained mechanized infantry will look even better in price comparison.

StingerTheRaven

• Private
  • Vroom
« Reply #3 on: 14 April 2017, 17:24:39 »
Ah, the upcoming revision, thanks for reminding me. Hopefully that will be what fully justifies MechInf; right now, the Savannahs listed earlier are strictly superior to IS MechHovers for only one point more, but when SMs start costing 14 per unit, you start having to choose between 2 SMs for 28, or 3 Laser-equipped MechHovers for 27, or 3 Laser MechWheels for 24, or 4 for 32, and that's not even getting into Rifle platoons.. in general that TMM nerf seems like it'll be the gate that opens Mechanized Infantry to be useful instead of totally outclassed by literally everyone, and I can hardly wait until it's ultimately applied to the MUL.

Register