Author Topic: Kit-bashing a Federation Dreadnought (image intensive)  (Read 986 times)

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
Kit-bashing a Federation Dreadnought (image intensive)
« on: 18 April 2017, 13:53:10 »
Okay, so a little background first: I follow a YouTube channel called Trekyards that does videos reviewing spacecraft from various science fiction universe, primarily Star Trek (as the name kind of implies). One of their recent videos covered what is probably one of my favourite ships in all of Sci-fi, the Liberator from the cult British 70's series Blakes 7.

During the video, one of the commentators remarks how much more unique it would have looked had it been flying the other way round, with the spherical section at the front. This triggered a memory of another of their videos, this one about Federation Dreadnoughts in the Star Trek universe, and those wheels started turning, until I came to the decision that I was going to have to kit-bash my own Liberator class Dreadnought.

The obvious place to start was with one of the old Corgi die-cast toys that I have used in the past, but a quick look on eBay showed that incomplete ones were still a little on the expensive side (and I refused to even consider using a pristine one that should be sitting in someone's collection), but fortunately, as often happens, my local send-hand toy and collectable shop came to the rescue, and I was able to pick up a somewhat worse for ware Liberator for just £1.50. But this only gave me the primary hull and the bulk of the three warp nacelles I would need. Fortunately, I never seem to throw anything away, and I still have the MicroMachines Enterprise A I had gotten as a kid that had gotten snapped in two at one point, giving me a neck and saucer section. A quick look on Shapeways (god, am I falling in love with that place) provided a quartet of warp nacelles that I can easily trim down to provide the aft section of the nacelles and the rear of my primary hull. I believe I have something in my parts box that should serve as a deflector dish, but I have yet to fish it out.

Parts to date:

Rough layout idea:

Close up of nacelle (pre trimming):

As you can tell from the photos, unlike most Federation Dreadnoughts, the Liberator class will have the third nacelle descending below the primary hull, which will unfortunately mean that, in the event of an emergency saucer separation, the saucer will be limited to sub-light speeds.

Updates will be posted as and when appropriate.
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
Re: Kit-bashing a Federation Dreadnought (image intensive)
« Reply #1 on: 18 April 2017, 15:00:15 »
honestly.. i'd not use a saucer. i'd make it an early federation tri-nacelle ship (i despise people calling something a dreadnought just because it has 3 nacelles.. the original dreadnaught from the Franz Joseph book was called so because it fit the battlecruiser or light battleship role, not because of its warp configuration)

specifically, i'd use a spherical primary hull, aiming for the feel of the Daedalus class.

the end result might be something like a beefed up version of the wasp class from starfleet museum

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
Kit-bashing a Federation Dreadnought (image intensive)
« Reply #2 on: 18 April 2017, 15:17:39 »
I'm certainly open to suggestions, but I don't think I have anything that would be suited to use as a spherical secondary hull (my understanding has always been that the area that holds the warp core and main shuttle pay is the primary hull, while the saucer/sphere is the secondary hull, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Nor do I think that the decals I've ordered would work on a spherical hull, and I'm nowhere near good enough to try free-handing it.
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

Register