Author Topic: Battletech Operation Nomenclature  (Read 2221 times)

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
Battletech Operation Nomenclature
« on: 19 April 2017, 13:30:39 »
Something's been bothering me for a while:  while are Operations in Battletech (at least in the newer material) always written in all caps?  The Liberation of Terra was Operation LIBERATION, the Clans had Operation KLONDIKE and Operation REVIVAL, I was just re-reading the First Succession War, which talks about, for example, Operation ELBOW JOINT, Operation SOLAR SHIELD, Operation BRASS RING, etc.  What's up with the weird caps?  You never see that anywhere in the real world, that I can recall.  I mean, the Normandy Invasion was Operation Overlord, not Operation OVERLORD (to cite an example off the top of my head).  Is it some weird stylistic choice by CGL?  Because I don't think I remember seeing it until the last 4-5 years maybe.  Reading through, it just makes me feel like I'm supposed to be shouting operation names in my head, which is always a little jarring.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Battletech Operation Nomenclature
« Reply #1 on: 19 April 2017, 14:11:02 »
I have no idea but this is not exclusive to BattleTech.
For example, Halo franchise has habit of using all-caps spelling for various things, like "SPARTAN-II project" or "Operation: TORPEDO".

I would assume it is some kind of military thing.

EDIT Googling a bit, it seems it is an American military thing to capitalize operation names. Might be result of old computer systems according to one thing. Having only all-caps letters was a matter of system resources and capability. EDIT This has the problem that this doesn't explain why operations use all-uppercase spelling.
« Last Edit: 19 April 2017, 14:16:23 by Empyrus »

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: 19 April 2017, 14:15:36 »
EDIT Googling a bit, it seems it is an American military thing to capitalize operation names.

Yes.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/1995/sieminsk.htm

Take a look at the first note.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 19 April 2017, 14:17:50 »
Yes.

That was my first source, lol.

Unfortunately casting a wider net doesn't net (har har) any concrete results as to why all-caps is used in the US for operation names.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #4 on: 19 April 2017, 14:18:43 »
actually this is normal practice IRL for many military forces (including the US and NATO). the operation names are codewords, generated by committees and/or programs. they use all caps as a deliberate stylistic choice.  if the codeword is changed (which happens often, as operations usually have a random and usually absurd codename assigned during early development for security, and then are given a more 'suitable' codeword later before being issued out to the people invovled), the all caps allows the codeword to be identified in the records more easily and replaced. some of it is inertia though.. the practice started back in WW2 when you didn't have computers, and had to use analog methods of editing and duplication.. and when the first computerized codeword systems were developed, they kept it to all caps to make it conform to regulations (and make the programming easier)

generally, it is the non-military media that remove the all caps, which is why it is not as well known. during the gulf war it was indeed labelled Operation DESERT STORM.. at least on the internal military files being distributed. just like how in WW2 the actual records and orders and such carried the title Operation OVERLORD.

since most of our perspective on operation names in battletech come from the POV of characters in the military, or from in unverse military records, it inevitably conforms to the typical military style.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 19 April 2017, 14:18:53 »
I have no idea but this is not exclusive to BattleTech.
For example, Halo franchise has habit of using all-caps spelling for various things, like "SPARTAN-II project" or "Operation: TORPEDO".

I would assume it is some kind of military thing.

EDIT Googling a bit, it seems it is an American military thing to capitalize operation names. Might be result of old computer systems according to one thing. Having only all-caps letters was a matter of system resources and capability. EDIT This has the problem that this doesn't explain why operations use all-uppercase spelling.
Five years and counting in the Army National Guard and I can't remember ever seeing anything in all caps that wasn't an acronym or pseudo-acronym.  (There may we'll be such a thing somewhere, my experience is hardly exhaustive.  But I'd wager it isn't common.)  I also can't recall having seen anything ever written that way in a history book, and I have a degree in history.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 19 April 2017, 14:22:53 »
Glitterboy's explanation above seems pretty reasonable. Press etc. just change it for readability.
As for BT using the military style, presumably it is because most books are presented as in-universe documents and reports for military personnel in military context.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 19 April 2017, 14:23:49 »
Yes.

actually this is normal practice IRL for many military forces (including the US and NATO). the operation names are codewords, generated by committees and/or programs. they use all caps as a deliberate stylistic choice.  if the codeword is changed (which happens often, as operations usually have a random and usually absurd codename assigned during early development for security, and then are given a more 'suitable' codeword later before being issued out to the people invovled), the all caps allows the codeword to be identified in the records more easily and replaced. some of it is inertia though.. the practice started back in WW2 when you didn't have computers, and had to use analog methods of editing and duplication.. and when the first computerized codeword systems were developed, they kept it to all caps to make it conform to regulations (and make the programming easier)

generally, it is the non-military media that remove the all caps, which is why it is not as well known. during the gulf war it was indeed labelled Operation DESERT STORM.. at least on the internal military files being distributed. just like how in WW2 the actual records and orders and such carried the title Operation OVERLORD.

since most of our perspective on operation names in battletech come from the POV of characters in the military, or from in unverse military records, it inevitably conforms to the typical military style.

Huh.  Weird that I've never seen that before.  (not that I've ever been involved in the planning of an operation big enough to get a code name, mind).
Sunrise is Coming.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 19 April 2017, 14:50:24 »
actually this is normal practice IRL for many military forces (including the US and NATO). the operation names are codewords, generated by committees and/or programs. they use all caps as a deliberate stylistic choice. if the codeword is changed (which happens often, as operations usually have a random and usually absurd codename assigned during early development for security, and then are given a more 'suitable' codeword later before being issued out to the people invovled), the all caps allows the codeword to be identified in the records more easily and replaced. some of it is inertia though.. the practice started back in WW2 when you didn't have computers, and had to use analog methods of editing and duplication.. and when the first computerized codeword systems were developed, they kept it to all caps to make it conform to regulations (and make the programming easier)
So your saying IRL if the computers called an operation BUTTERCUP it would get changed? For shame!

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: 19 April 2017, 15:05:20 »
So your saying IRL if the computers called an operation BUTTERCUP it would get changed? For shame!

Churchill had a great reason for changing operation names like BUTTERCUP - imagine being the CO of a unit that lost people during the operation. Would you want to write a letter to the family saying they lost their child/husband/wife during OPERATION BUTTERCUP?
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #10 on: 19 April 2017, 17:43:39 »

Huh.  Weird that I've never seen that before.  (not that I've ever been involved in the planning of an operation big enough to get a code name, mind).
I can confirm operation names are properly capitalized, having reviewed enough plans that I've lost count.  I'll add that it makes them a lot easier to identify in your inbox.

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #11 on: 19 April 2017, 21:14:34 »
I was a staff monkey in the Army for the best part of a decade.  Operation names are always all-caps, which ironically is something I was used to as a result of BattleTech before I ever joined the military.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #12 on: 19 April 2017, 21:26:41 »
I can confirm that the Australian Defence Force, we use all caps for names of exercises and operations. Although, I do note that, as the Australian Department of Defence website is run by civilian public servants, there is a mix if all caps and title caps for the operation names on the website http://www.defence.gov.au/Operations/
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

imperator

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 19 April 2017, 22:47:02 »
Yup, USN does it as well.  We also use all caps to highlight important systems, programs and equipmet, even if they aren't an operation or acronym.  PLALANXE and AEGIS are not acronyms, but names of equipment.
Their is no problem Jump Jets and an assault class auto-cannon can't handle.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 20 April 2017, 04:06:48 »
Churchill had a great reason for changing operation names like BUTTERCUP - imagine being the CO of a unit that lost people during the operation. Would you want to write a letter to the family saying they lost their child/husband/wife during OPERATION BUTTERCUP?
Operation Buttercup

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #15 on: 20 April 2017, 06:16:40 »

That's a great reason, IMHO. I'd be super pissed if someone told me my brother died during Operation FLUFFY BUNNY or Operation CANDYLAND.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #16 on: 20 April 2017, 06:57:23 »
Yep much better to be able to tell a NOK that their service member made the ultimate sacrifice during:

Operation TANDEM THRUST (there was a bi-annual joint US/Australia Exercise TANDEM THRUST)
Operation SLIPPER
Operation MORRIS DANCE
Operation MOUNTAIN THRUST (say it quickly  :o )

These are all real Operation/Exercise names that the Australian Defence Force have been involved in.
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #17 on: 20 April 2017, 08:36:25 »
As opposed to CENTAUR RODEO and ARROWHEAD RIPPER, actual ops from Iraq?
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #18 on: 20 April 2017, 13:11:59 »
there were actually several operation BUTTERCUP's in WW2

it was the code for a standard anti-submarine tactic
http://codenames.info/operation/buttercup-i/

An air and sea campaign against U-boats in the channel
http://codenames.info/operation/buttercup-ii/

and a Britsh special ops recon of Italy
http://codenames.info/operation/buttercup-iii/

usually the absurd seeming names are preferred for security. much like the logic behind Mr.Garibaldi's command password in babylon 5:
[the command staff have used their command code passwords to reset the station's computer system]
Cmdr. Susan Ivanova: Peekaboo?
Michael Garabaldi: Would you have guessed it?

anything that the public is not expected to learn about (at least, during the span of the war) gets a codename meant more for security than public relations.
« Last Edit: 20 April 2017, 13:18:22 by glitterboy2098 »

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 22 April 2017, 16:27:41 »
I can confirm that the Australian Defence Force, we use all caps for names of exercises and operations. Although, I do note that, as the Australian Department of Defence website is run by civilian public servants, there is a mix if all caps and title caps for the operation names on the website http://www.defence.gov.au/Operations/
It's the same for the UK armed forces - it was one of the things taught to me when I first joined the MOD, back in '97, as the team I was in was involved in planning exercises.

In addition to exercise and operation names being in all caps, it used to be the case that during vehicle acquisition programmes, the names of the vehicles were in all-caps until they'd achieved the defined In Service Date. That seems to be getting a bit squiffy over the last few years, predominantly I suspect because of changes in the training courses that people do, but I do periodically see briefs and project updates getting corrected by military staff because the pre-ISD vehicle names haven't been capitalised.

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

Ang Moh Siao

• Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 23 April 2017, 04:35:00 »
From a purely stylistic standpoint, I like it.  It lends a certain dignity to otherwise ridiculous names--something a wily Game Master can use to great advantage.

I just used Operation PROSPERITY ROOSTER for a campaign with my Grade 8 lads to tip a hat to our Chinese New Year. Which is Year of the Chicken, ah?
C.O. Gamma Company: First Singapore Irregulars
--Non calor sed umor est qui nobis incommodat--

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 23 April 2017, 15:32:13 »
Interestingly enough legal documents also do the same thing. Some people try to use as an excuse to get out of coming up with a defense, saying that that's not their name.