Author Topic: 'Mech of the Week: THR-* Thunder  (Read 10584 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: 'Mech of the Week: THR-* Thunder
« Reply #30 on: 08 May 2017, 15:43:40 »
The C4 is the only Thunder variant I've ever seen on the table.  This was at the GenCon 2016 Masters and Minions event, and when it tried to exchange long-range fire with my BNC-9S, things went badly for it.  One Thunderbolt 20 isn't nearly good enough against a Gauss Rifle, HPPC, and LPPC that are all tied to a TC and on something 25 tons heavier with decidedly thicker armor.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #31 on: 09 May 2017, 06:44:20 »
The C4 is the only Thunder variant I've ever seen on the table.  This was at the GenCon 2016 Masters and Minions event, and when it tried to exchange long-range fire with my BNC-9S, things went badly for it.  One Thunderbolt 20 isn't nearly good enough against a Gauss Rifle, HPPC, and LPPC that are all tied to a TC and on something 25 tons heavier with decidedly thicker armor.

The fact that the Banshee outweighs it by 40 tons probably didn't help either.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 09 May 2017, 06:46:52 »
The fact that the Banshee outweighs it by 40 tons probably didn't help either.
Banshees weigh 110 tons?
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #33 on: 09 May 2017, 07:15:35 »
Banshees weigh 110 tons?

*cough* Congratulations AW! You passed my test. Today at lunch collect your cookie to celebrate.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 09 May 2017, 07:17:15 »
A Banshee weighs 110 tons when it is using a flatbed truck as club.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 09 May 2017, 08:32:19 »
Steiner needs to make that happen, though.  "The new and improved Banshee II!  Now even heavier!"
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 09 May 2017, 13:23:27 »
I actually checked. It is sadly not possible due to the main selling point often being speed. At least not 110 tons.
Guess we'll have to have a lighter Thunder, then. Though the CC is really not short of 55 tonners, are they?
Speaking of the thunder, the stealth armour would afford it some benefits against a slow long range design. Maybe not enough to offset the firepower discrepancy, sure, but every bit helps.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 09 May 2017, 13:33:26 »
Speaking of the thunder, the stealth armour would afford it some benefits against a slow long range design. Maybe not enough to offset the firepower discrepancy, sure, but every bit helps.
You didn't read the article or TRO entries, did you? Because THR-2L and -3L Thunders do sport stealth armor.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #38 on: 09 May 2017, 14:51:04 »
The Thunder may also be a throwback to the ancient Koschei, an early heavy cavalry design that sported an AC/10 in its left arm with massive barrel/cooling shroud (IRL, things may be other way around though, the Koschei being styled after the Thunder).

Hehe, actually the Koschei had artwork done first and was sporting a missile rack instead of an AC. I tinkered around with it a bit and came up with the design as it is today and the artist was gracious enough to tweak the artwork to make it an autocannon. I don't think the Thunder ever came up at all in that process.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 09 May 2017, 14:52:25 »
Huh. Well, it still makes for a nice potential historical connection in-universe.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #40 on: 09 May 2017, 14:58:02 »
I'm all for that.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

CrazyGrasshopper

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #41 on: 09 May 2017, 20:01:25 »
Hehe, actually the Koschei had artwork done first and was sporting a missile rack instead of an AC. I tinkered around with it a bit and came up with the design as it is today and the artist was gracious enough to tweak the artwork to make it an autocannon. I don't think the Thunder ever came up at all in that process.

The great mystery is resolved. Before, when looking at Koschei's left arm I was asking: "Just why?" It makes sense now.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: 10 May 2017, 09:54:21 »
You didn't read the article or TRO entries, did you? Because THR-2L and -3L Thunders do sport stealth armor.
I totally did, which is why I'm posting here.
Even quoted a comment regarding it fighting a long ranged banshee.
I have to admit I have no idea where you're coming from here.  ???
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #43 on: 09 June 2017, 04:50:12 »
to be honest, i kinda wonder whether the original Thunder wasn't designed around the idea of supporting the CapCon's existing designs, rather than as a true cavalry mech? many of their existing designs were 4/6 longer range platforms (Vindicator, Catapult, Cataphract), so a 5/8 short ranged brawler would have filled a niche.

(also, does anyone else find it ironic that the Cataphract is not a cavalry design?)

Yes but the name is quite fitting.  Or they could have made a 5/6/x heavy called the Clibanarii and had the Cataphract go 5/8/x.

I could also see the machine replacing the Victor add stated earlier.

Yes the Lao Hu is a better design, IMO.

Register