Author Topic: The Most Militarily Successful Solaris 'mech?  (Read 2464 times)

Dayton3

• Lieutenant
The Most Militarily Successful Solaris 'mech?
« on: 15 May 2017, 08:42:07 »
Sorry if anyone is getting tired of my multiple threads but I couldn't find an existing one that this question fit it.

I know that it has been a practice for centuries on Solaris  (in addition to regular 'mechs) to build custom 'mechs strictly for the games.   IIRC some of these customized 'mech designs have caught the attention of the regular militaries of the Inner Sphere and been purchased by them for regular combat operations.

Does anyone have any idea which of the "Solaris 'mechs" have been most successful in terms of production for the regular militaries and in terms of regular combat performance away from Solaris?

Getz

• Warrant Officer
Re: The Most Militarily Successful Solaris 'mech?
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2017, 09:46:02 »
I think the Tsunami was supposed to have got respectable sales as a combat mech.

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2017, 10:30:22 »
TRO: 3055U explicitly mentions the following as military exports:

Koto (Mercs)
Copperhead (DCMS)
Tsunami (Mercs)
Sasquatch (WoB, rumored)

Many Solaris mechs indicate production in the single digits (or even a single example). The VEST-produced designs especially are largely hand-built.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Dayton3

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2017, 13:18:19 »
TRO: 3055U explicitly mentions the following as military exports:

Koto (Mercs)
Copperhead (DCMS)
Tsunami (Mercs)
Sasquatch (WoB, rumored)

Many Solaris mechs indicate production in the single digits (or even a single example). The VEST-produced designs especially are largely hand-built.

Weren't the Copperhead and Sasquatch VEST designs?

By the way,   though perhaps I'm wrong but the Sasquatch both original and later variants (like the one with the large left arm held shield) seem way under armed for an 80 ton assault 'mech.

I'll add this:

From what I can see it seems almost all 'mechs built for the Solaris games are under armed when compared to comparable tonnage regular military machines.    It could be that without the need for long range weapons in most Solaris matches that those are simply not mounted and thus it makest the 'mechs seem to be more weakly armed.
« Last Edit: 15 May 2017, 14:28:28 by Dayton3 »

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2017, 00:03:15 »
Jackal was manufactured for 25 years in the setting, its a solid design.  Not sure which metric you would use to judge "success" but I like them.  It also looks cool.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2017, 01:58:00 »
Weren't the Copperhead and Sasquatch VEST designs?

By the way,   though perhaps I'm wrong but the Sasquatch both original and later variants (like the one with the large left arm held shield) seem way under armed for an 80 ton assault 'mech.

I'll add this:

From what I can see it seems almost all 'mechs built for the Solaris games are under armed when compared to comparable tonnage regular military machines.    It could be that without the need for long range weapons in most Solaris matches that those are simply not mounted and thus it makest the 'mechs seem to be more weakly armed.

The Sasquatch 001 is deadly at close range. x4 MPL, SRM-6, and Gauss is pretty solid considering the thing has 8 tons of jump jets... not a bad assault mech 3055. for The 002 is a 'lets turn the advanced tech to 11' kind of design. It has a XXL engine, which makes it a massive liability. The 003 is lunacy with the 5/8/8 movement profile. No wonder it only has three weapons.

I'm not sure who made what on Solaris, but the ones I listed above had explicit mentions of exporting to regular military and mercs. I'm sure the numbers weren't very high, especially if any of them were VEST designs.

Here's a list of Solaris units I found that show up on other factions' lists
http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/59/aquagladius-aqs-4
http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/690/copperhead-cpr-hd-002
http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/1837/koto-kto-2a
http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/1838/koto-kto-3a
http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/2798/sasquatch-sqs-th-001
http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/2799/sasquatch-sqs-th-002
http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/3311/tsunami-ts-p1
http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/3312/tsunami-ts-p1d

With the exception of the rogue Aquagladius showing up, it matches what 55U tells us. Interestingly enough, the Jackal was designed by VEST, but in conjunction with Earthwerks. It depends ultimately on what you consider a "Solaris Mech." If you accept the Jackal's pedigree as a VEST-designed unit, it's clearly the winner as it likely was the only one mass-produced.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2017, 08:29:24 »
I had good luck running a Koto as the commander of a Locust lance. The original one from the Solaris VII boxed set.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2017, 11:25:44 »
The Valiant was also originally a VEST design as well, and has become pretty widespread, built at factories in three Successor States.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

CrazyGrasshopper

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2017, 20:06:56 »
I would not call Koto and Copperhead underarmed...

bobthecoward

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 01 June 2017, 22:48:07 »
I also read the entries in 3055U as saying only the level 2/standard models are picked up by the houses.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #10 on: 06 June 2017, 08:26:40 »
I would not call Koto and Copperhead underarmed...

Hell, the Koto 3A kicks serious ass.   O0
I have spoken.