Author Topic: Modifying non-mech units  (Read 1428 times)

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
Modifying non-mech units
« on: 19 May 2017, 16:48:39 »
Is there a program out there that I can use to modify non-mech units such as dropships, ASFs, tanks, etc. for megamek?

I have megamek, meklab and mekHQ. 

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
Re: Modifying non-mech units
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2017, 16:52:34 »
Is there a program out there that I can use to modify non-mech units such as dropships, ASFs, tanks, etc. for megamek?

I have megamek, meklab and mekHQ.

MegaMeklab can do Tanks, ASF, BA and Infantry. There isn't an editor for DS/WS those have to be done by editing the files.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2017, 17:02:20 »
MegaMeklab can do Tanks, ASF, BA and Infantry. There isn't an editor for DS/WS those have to be done by editing the files.

Silly me, I just noticed the option to change the unit type.

How do I modify the file for the DS/WS and is there a guide for doing so somewhere?

Thanks Hammer and have a great day!

JenniferinaMAD

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2017, 17:12:29 »
I believe the units are saved in semi-readable files, i.e. you can open them with notepad and once you get past the HTML-ish formatting, it should be possible to figure out how most things work.

You could then find traits from canon dropships and copy paste them to make a new one out of traits you want. E.g. if you want to add a light vehicle bay to a Union, you find a dropship that has light vehicles bays, copy paste the section over and adjust the numbers as needed.

It's awkward and has no rule validity checking (so you'd need a copy of Techmanual to do it by hand), but it should work.

BlueThing

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2017, 18:47:38 »
I believe the units are saved in semi-readable files, i.e. you can open them with notepad and once you get past the HTML-ish formatting, it should be possible to figure out how most things work.

You could then find traits from canon dropships and copy paste them to make a new one out of traits you want. E.g. if you want to add a light vehicle bay to a Union, you find a dropship that has light vehicles bays, copy paste the section over and adjust the numbers as needed.

It's awkward and has no rule validity checking (so you'd need a copy of Techmanual to do it by hand), but it should work.
This is my experience was modifying a DS.

I made a custom layout Triumph to suit my normal merc unit. If I remember correctly, it carries 16 mechsvehicles, 4 light vehicles, 4 heavy vehicles, 2 ASF, and 4 infantry platoons. It lets me start with a company and and expand to a nice sized combined arms unit. Plus, it has solid cargo space, which is something every healthy mech unit needs.

I looked at the rules (for bay weights), did a little math, and had a new custom drop ship in a few minutes.

Register