Author Topic: MegaMek campaing Server settings  (Read 1687 times)

Drifter

• Corporal
MegaMek campaing Server settings
« on: 10 June 2017, 17:08:45 »
Greetings all.  I am looking to run a small megamek campaign.  I would like to host the games for the players on my server and set it so deployment is blind and prevent local saves from being made and use some of the alternate rules such as quirks and pilot skills.  Now I would like to get these to be default setting so everyone connecting will get them.  Also do I need to adjust the ram for the server hosting.  I have 96 gig on the server.    Server running 2012 R2 with 96 gig and a 8 core cpu so that should be overkill.

elf25s

• Major
Re: MegaMek campaing Server settings
« Reply #1 on: 10 June 2017, 20:52:43 »
ok since i had not messed with megamek in a long while i cannot help you directly but....

on the board here look for user tigershark
he runs hi own server dominion wars server

another person you may ask  he is not much around but still runs his own server is spork
he runs the mekwars server. to get in touch go to mekwars.org(?) it had been a while since i spoke with him but i found hm to be always helpful

and let us not forget folks here who keep the project of mekwars alive and well

i mentioned the first 2 because they are constantly active with their servers and have more hands on expiriance on daily usage and running one
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

arlith

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 14 June 2017, 10:45:25 »
To host a server, you need to use the -dedicated flag when you start MM.  Then it won't open up a UI, and will just host the server.  Everyone who connects to the server can edit options in the lobby, per usual.  The options will be saved on the server.  Things like blind deployment and preventing local saves are game options that you can edit in the lobby.  You can also set a server password so only those with the password can change game options.  Also, once you have the game options you want, the game options dialog has the options to save the options to an XML file.  That way, if anyone changes the options later, you can just reload them.  Changing the amount of RAM really depends on how large of a game you want to run.  It can't hurt  to allow more RAM to be used.  I feel like anything over 2GB is overkill.
Member of the MegaMek Team.

Drifter

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 15 June 2017, 17:18:41 »
Do I modify the l4j file where the memory setting is to start the server as dedicated.   Also is there a flag for server name and port that I could use as well ?

Drifter

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 15 June 2017, 17:25:33 »
Follow up question, for performance does mega mek like single thread or multithreaded \ dual processors better?

Register