Author Topic: Short story: Smoke and Errors  (Read 2105 times)

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
Short story: Smoke and Errors
« on: 15 June 2017, 10:13:22 »
Latest in my series of stand-alone short stories, designed to fill the void left by BattleCorps.

The year is 3038. As war between the newly-minted Federated Commonwealth and the Draconis Combine looms, a discovery on the Outworlds Alliance planet of Alegro brings together 12 dispossessed for what appears to be the perfect heist.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tstpu0qayjuk1j3/Smoke%20and%20Errors.pdf?dl=0

I realize people here seem to prefer stories in serialized format, but I kind of like having each story as its own self-contained publication. Plus it means I get to do cover designs, too.

Previous three stories published here:

Of Marble and Mud (Periphery pirate and Davion warrior stranded together on a desert island in the middle of a civil war)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c2yr8qgyauo800l/Of%20Marble%20and%20Mud.pdf?dl=0

Any Man's Death (In the wake of the Fourth Succession war, a Capellan soldier travels to Solaris to try to rebuild his life)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/238tb3w48h1zrbp/Any%20Man%27s%20Death.pdf?dl=0

Falling on Dead Ears (Smoke Jaguar occupiers and Combine citizens clash on Bjarred)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/35qlm7wegf7id03/Falling_on_Dead_Ears.pdf?dl=0
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

Easy

• Warrant Officer
Re: Short story: Smoke and Errors
« Reply #1 on: 15 June 2017, 10:49:22 »
"I realize people here seem to prefer stories in serialized format, but I kind of like having each story as its own self-contained publication. Plus it means I get to do cover designs, too."

I've thought the opposite, at times. I post in serialized format. One, because I'm in the habit of posting stories, parts of stories, maps, sourcebook-style content, casual essays and what-have-you, basically, *as it comes*. I literally write some things in the forum post buffer.

Things that I've been paid to write, pretty much every time so far, have involved the story or article flying under someone else's banner. I've run no website that ever had paid ads, subscriptions, etc. Or, more to the point, a real publishing *agenda*. The serialized format is just convenient for me right now, that's all.

On with the show.

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 15 June 2017, 18:33:33 »
I suppose the advantages for the reader are fewer clicks to read the story,  concerns about the safety of an off-site link and lower time commitment per installment. Also seems more interactive​, people comment on the story progression.

For the writer, as you say you can write more stream of consciousness, plus regular thread bumps keep it at the top of the page where it's most visible.

I may try a hybrid approach for the next one: daily installments plus a Dropbox link to a PDF.
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

PeacMaker03

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 16 June 2017, 06:34:39 »
   "Of Marble and Mud," I like it.
Nice to see a story as convoluted as real world working relationships.

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 16 June 2017, 09:41:51 »
   "Of Marble and Mud," I like it.
Nice to see a story as convoluted as real world working relationships.

Thanks for reading and leaving a comment!
Probably no way to say this without sounding full of myself, but I was rather pleased the way that one turned out. Thought the language, imagery and story came together well. Plus I'm a sucker for circular stories--think Chris Nolan's Memento.

Register