Author Topic: Shut down the Catalyst store  (Read 13403 times)

Konrath

• Corporal
Shut down the Catalyst store
« on: 12 July 2017, 19:15:58 »
So I bought a lance pack on Jan 27th. I got zero response that it had shipped. After waiting a month, i started emailing their customer service every couple of weeks. In May i tried their facebook page. Finally i got a response from Randall to cc him on it. Then finally i got my first response from "Talon" that they had some weight problem in their system and its now "fixed" and they'd send it out on May 8th. Then radio silence since then.

What a bloody joke. My grandfather runs a better e-store than Catalyst. It would literally take 1 intern 5 minutes to pick up a lance pack, put it in a box and put a shipping label on it. Shut the thing down or dont sell anything physical. I'm a new BT tabletop player, and I'm honestly given up on anything to do with Catalyst. Everything is out of print, you try and order something from their store and 7 months and no delivery but they took my money? I can't get my mastercard to reverse it because its been past 3 months. Complete joke. This is not how you make BT relevant to a new generation of table top players.

SteveRestless

• Major
Re: Shut down the Catalyst store
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2017, 19:56:49 »
I'mma do you one better.

Shut Down The Catalyst Store. Period. Full Stop.

We hear tons about how Catalyst is a bunch of freelancers and volunteers and is short-handed enough for it to take the better part of a month for a file to get uploaded. Fine, if that's how it is, don't waste effort running a storefront, there are other people who do that well enough. DriveThruRPG does a wonderful job selling your products, and as near as I can tell from the outside, does it without the headaches, bad press and resource sinkage that the company store generates.

Or, if you insist on perpetuating the PR black hole because certain products will only be sold though it, sell only those products.

Go back and count how many posts, how many threads, in the last three years, have been created by people having trouble with the store. I would think that the last thing a company run on a starvation budget by a skeleton crew should want, is to generate ill will and friction with their customers. Your best-case scenario with the store is that it works, and no one has problems with it. This is more or less to be expected of a storefront in the year 2017, so it's kinda taken for granted. nobody will go "man this is a really nice store, I should buy more."

On the other hand, if the store DOESN'T work, maybe you have a forgiving fan who doesn't get upset. Do you really want to have to rely on such a saint? Don't they deserve better? Much more likely, you frustrate, sadden or anger someone. I have to wonder, what benefit there is in risking that just to run your own storefront.

TL;DR - don't try and do everything yourself, let professionals handle it.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #2 on: 12 July 2017, 20:06:37 »
Konrath, I'm sorry for your problems.

The new BT Line Developer, Brent Evans, has asked anyone with store issues to email him, not Randall. The address is brent (at) catalystgamelabs.com. Many people with issues have had them resolved by Brent. Email him, with (IIRC) "BattleShop Customer" in the subject line.

Let me know if you get a response.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Konrath

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 12 July 2017, 22:10:05 »
Thanks, Worktroll, i've tried emailing him. That doesnt solve the problem when you email "support" and no one responds in 2+ months. They really shouldnt have a store up if its not working. A normal customer or anyone new to BT/SR shouldnt have to find try emailing 5-6 times, and finally trying a random forum in order to find who to email to get a basic thing fixed. The Store should be taken down or anything physical taken off their storefront until they learn how to operate it. CGL will lose more business than gain it by having it up in its current state.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 12 July 2017, 22:39:13 »
Look, don't get me wrong. No, you shouldn't have this experience. And yes, CGL aren't staffed to do it themselves the way it should be done. But their choices seem to come down to

a) Get someone else to do it, which would cost more than the revenue stream
or
b) don't do it.

And let's also recognise that the handful (literally!) of full time CGL staff are not web savvy geniuses. They make books & games. But they're also gamer fanatics, and want to have a webstore. Reconciling a) and b) is not simplistic when your cashflow is thin.

Yes, it's apologies. But also trying to set some realistic expectations, and to help out where we can.

W.

(Not a PTB, not employed by CGL, just another volunteer and fan of little giant stompy robots)
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 12 July 2017, 22:51:21 »
or
b) don't do it.

Someone else is already doing it. DriveThruRPG. You can buy BT stuff there with far less hassle, than through CGL's own efforts.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Porkins

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 12 July 2017, 23:24:41 »
Yes, it's apologies. But also trying to set some realistic expectations, and to help out where we can.

Set some realistic expectations?  Really?  Sorry, but I think 7 months after payment and no lance pack after he sends countless enquiries is not an expectation a customer should be setting. 
Praise the Sea, but keep on Land.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 12 July 2017, 23:42:23 »
Agreed. I'm talking about for the future. 7 months ago is the battleshop that was.

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #8 on: 13 July 2017, 00:15:59 »
Look, don't get me wrong. No, you shouldn't have this experience. And yes, CGL aren't staffed to do it themselves the way it should be done. But their choices seem to come down to

or
b) don't do it.

And let's also recognise that the handful (literally!) of full time CGL staff are not web savvy geniuses. They make books & games. But they're also gamer fanatics, and want to have a webstore. Reconciling a) and b) is not simplistic when your cashflow is thin.

W.

(Not a PTB, not employed by CGL, just another volunteer and fan of little giant stompy robots)
I thought being a property of Topps allows you access to legal & material support to maintain (and improve) your products?

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #9 on: 13 July 2017, 00:32:47 »
I thought being a property of Topps allows you access to legal & material support to maintain (and improve) your products?

Topps licenses the BattleTech IP to Catalyst; they have nothing to do with it apart from that.

IronSphinx

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Robots!!!
    • PlayBattletech
« Reply #10 on: 13 July 2017, 00:44:08 »
The new BT Line Developer, Brent Evans, has asked anyone with store issues to email him, not Randall. The address is brent (at) catalystgamelabs.com. Many people with issues have had them resolved by Brent. Email him, with (IIRC) "BattleShop Customer" in the subject line.

Let me know if you get a response.

I e-mailed Brent Evans on June 20th about an order I placed on the new CGL store back in November 2016 and haven't heard anything back. Any idea how long it takes to get a response from him because Randall, Loren, and Talon never responded to my e-mails?
« Last Edit: 13 July 2017, 01:11:47 by IronSphinx »
Charles "IronSphinx" Wilson (CDT #66)
=======================
Want to find a Battletech game in Michigan?
Go to www.playbattletech.org.

BattletechisLit

• Recruit
« Reply #11 on: 13 July 2017, 01:28:59 »
Agreed. I'm talking about for the future. 7 months ago is the battleshop that was.
The battleshop of then and the store that exists now appear to be run exactly the same. And I doubt the future holds any change. One can dream though.

TurboCooler

• Private
« Reply #12 on: 13 July 2017, 06:23:52 »

There is nothing and no proof that anything will be any more improved in the future.  They should focus on refunding people who have not received their product.  Hire a book keeper for a week.  Then shutdown the shop until they can deliver. If they have no way to guarantee they can deliver on products ordered, shut it down permanently and make sure items are available at other retailers who can deliver.

If people who have purchased items in 2016 and 2017 cannot get refunds on the items after all these months it says they have no clue how to run an online store.   All that it would take is 1 person dedicating themselves to fulfilling orders 1 day per week as many online mom & pop shops do to be able to deliver items in reasonable if not slow time.  To be 7+ months late is pure neglect. 

No excuse and no apologies can justify the pure neglect.

Here is the truth -- NOBODY should purchase from the CGL online shop as they are not going to receive what they ordered.

"I'm sorry" is no longer a good enough answer.

CGL has to officially announce they have a problem, announced how they are going to make users who have been waiting whole, tell us how they are going to fix the shop fiasco and shut it down until they can guarantee the fix.  Anything less is just more excuses.

Lastly, the excuse that they "are just a few guys" or that "they are small" or have "no idea about computers" is old and tired because there are plenty of other small shops including those on Etsy, eBay or other places who can handle it with just a few people and CGL should be able to as well and if they really CANNOT, shut down the shop.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #13 on: 13 July 2017, 08:03:38 »
Email him, with (IIRC) "BattleShop Customer" in the subject line.

Customer Service was the requested subject line, that may help move things along.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

IronSphinx

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Robots!!!
    • PlayBattletech
« Reply #14 on: 13 July 2017, 08:11:29 »
Customer Service was the requested subject line, that may help move things along.

And WHERE exactly does it say that?

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=57791.0

Hello everyone - I've been able to get a handle on all the cases from my original announcement, so I'm expanding my call out to everyone to make sure no one falls through the cracks.

As the new Line Developer for BattleTech I'm taking the lead on helping anyone with outstanding Customer Service issues in need of getting their orders fulfilled through the Catalyst web store.  This includes any outstanding orders placed through the old web store as well.  I don't want anyone left behind.

It was no secret that our old webstore was faltering pretty hard by the time we were able to get the new one built from the ground up, and despite the web-team's best efforts - we've been correcting gremlins every since it went live in November.  We've got a massive product list so there were bound to be glitches, but we are committed to making sure no one falls through the cracks.

And I'm willing to put products where my mouth is to prove it.

So if you have an old issue or product that you ordered, paid for, and for some reason are still waiting for delivery after 60 days or more - please email me directly so I can get it resolved for you.  If you placed an order for a PDF product that never arrived, the link didn't work, or it downloaded the wrong product - please email me directly.  If you've been emailing to the Customer Service address for months and not getting a resolution - just email me directly.  I will send a PDF product of your choice free of charge for every order like these that you send me.

Thank you for helping us make sure every fan gets their gaming needs fulfilled.  I appreciate your collective assistance.

Sincerely,

Brent Evans
brent@catalystgamelabs.com 
=======================

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 13 July 2017, 08:18:14 »
And WHERE exactly does it say that?

Well, here. It was from an earlier post to the staff and volunteers and might have gotten lost in the public posting. Or not.

IronSphinx

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Robots!!!
    • PlayBattletech
« Reply #16 on: 13 July 2017, 08:23:41 »
Well, here. It was from an earlier post to the staff and volunteers and might have gotten lost in the public posting. Or not.

It definitely got lost because burying it in the restricted staff and volunteers section doesn't help the non Agents/Mods/Writers.
=======================

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 13 July 2017, 08:31:11 »
It definitely got lost because burying it in the restricted staff and volunteers section doesn't help the non Agents/Mods/Writers.

That's why I mentioned it.  ;)

IronSphinx

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Robots!!!
    • PlayBattletech
« Reply #18 on: 13 July 2017, 08:41:13 »
That's why I mentioned it.  ;)

Yeah, no, I do get that. But understand that you're not Brent Evans. Ask yourself: why should anybody listen to you when he spelled out what he expected in the official post to everyone CGL-volunteer or otherwise?

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but for those of us who have been waiting over eight months to get product that we PAID for, with no responses from our e-mails to CGL whatsoever, to have two people putting information in three separate threads, one inaccessible to non-volunteers, and expecting people to format their e-mail 100% correctly is completely unreasonable. I have access to the volunteer threads and didn't even remember that he said the thing about the subject header. I just read the general missive to all people in the public thread and acted accordingly. You'd think that the subject header I used for my e-mail would be clear enough to warrant notice AND a response: "Product ordered from Catalyst Game Labs website that was never delivered"
=======================

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 13 July 2017, 08:43:42 »
I'm just trying to help. Feel free to ignore it.

IronSphinx

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Robots!!!
    • PlayBattletech
« Reply #20 on: 13 July 2017, 08:49:00 »
I'm just trying to help. Feel free to ignore it.

If you want to help, then may I respectfully request that you ask the mods to add your comment regarding the expected subject line be added to Brent's original public missive that I linked to in my earlier e-mail--if that's what's preventing him from responding to e-mails about product problems with the CGL store that are sent to him? Based on the previous eight months of no responses whatsoever, I don't think it'll do any good, mind you, but at least all the information will be collected in one public place.
=======================

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #21 on: 13 July 2017, 11:23:14 »
Watching all of this unfold makes me glad that I recently purchased BattleTech items on Amazon and other distributors instead of the Catalyst store.  I made this decision because I have a friend who has not gotten his pricy order for well over a year.  Sent a bunch of emails, facebook messages, some of them I helped him get, and he hasn't gotten a single acknowledgment from every contact referenced.

Like it was said earlier in the thread...  we're not just customers, we're LOYAL fans.  Treat us better if we're the ones keeping this property afloat.  EDIT:  We want you to succeed.
« Last Edit: 13 July 2017, 11:28:37 by Fear Factory »
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

ScrapYardArmory

• Master Sergeant
    • ScrapYardArmory
« Reply #22 on: 13 July 2017, 12:02:13 »
This has been an issue for years.

I get all of my PDFs from DriveThruRPG and all of my physical products from MiniatureMarket/Coolstuffinc/Amazon.  They have never failed me.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #23 on: 13 July 2017, 12:03:06 »
I would agree with the others.  I quit using BT's online outlets b/c I could not get access to my BattleCorps account for the year & half I tried- I wanted to get the original fiction I had back when BattleCorps came out.  I eventually gave up, noticed the threads about store problems and have been happy with DriveThruRPG ever since.

If your staff is stretched as tight as is constantly claimed, DROP what is failing.  You may make back more revenue on items sold on your company store, but you are losing money for your products as a whole- how many people have been turned off buying new BT products b/c of the hang up on the official store?  You cannot quantify it, but you CAN look back and see all the threads where people are trying to get help to have products delivered.  Which REALLY does not look good on the company's official website.  Take the resources (cash & manhours) that is being poured down the rathole of the company store and go back to what the company does- create products to sell.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #24 on: 13 July 2017, 12:22:58 »

I am also very tired of these store problems.
The current situation is just damaging the brand.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
« Reply #25 on: 13 July 2017, 15:23:21 »
Who was running the online store before IronSphinx?

Quite simply, they(if there were more than one) should be fired immediately. There is no excuse for EVER having someone to wait one week let alone 7 months for their order AND with no communication!

Customers don't care about the companies problems or if they are only "part time", they want what they order the next day in some cases. If not, then there must be communication to the customer as to why, when to expect shipment or offer money returned.

Want to know what is really sad? I can get CGL products faster on Ebay than the online shop AND the seller communicates AND provides a tracking number of the shipment. I usually get the package within 3 to 5 days after the end of the auction.

Get your shit together CGL and hire people to help or close the ecommerce site and let other ecommerce sites get the revenue you would be making...

IronSphinx

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Robots!!!
    • PlayBattletech
« Reply #26 on: 13 July 2017, 15:32:36 »
Who was running the online store before IronSphinx?
Commas, dude. ;)

I'm assuming you meant to ask me the question: "Who was running the online store before, Ironsphinx?" not imply that I'm running the store right now--which I assure you is definitely not the case, nor was it ever true. I have no relationship with the BattleShop nor the current CGL store beyond being a frustrated (former) customer.

It is my (limited) understanding that purchasing online directly from CGL in the past was accomplished via the BattleCorps.com "BattleShop". As for who did fulfillment for the BattleShop, I have no idea. Just like I have no idea who does fulfillment from the current CGL webstore. Sorry. Wish I knew. I vaguely remember one of the Stansel-Garner brothers doing some sort of fulfillment back in the early days of CGL, but I only interacted with one of them at a con once (David, I think) and online once or twice, so I wouldn't trust my memories on that issue.
« Last Edit: 13 July 2017, 15:42:33 by IronSphinx »
=======================

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #27 on: 13 July 2017, 15:48:33 »
...how many people have been turned off buying new BT products b/c of the hang up on the official store?

In Catalyst's defense, more people are turned off by the lack of something core to the game since it was created:  Box Set.

Snark aside, I agree.  I decided against ordering from the store for that reason.  It's not just hang up though, it's actually getting your stuff!
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

abou

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 13 July 2017, 18:59:50 »
There is no excuse for EVER having someone to wait one week let alone 7 months for their order AND with no communication!

I am getting closing in on 13 months.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 13 July 2017, 19:15:03 »
Have you sent an email to Brent Evans, with the subject line as noted?

Thanks,

W.