Author Topic: Game of Thrones- S7: Let the bodies hit the floor (Spoilers)  (Read 14101 times)

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
Re: Game of Thrones- S7: Let the bodies hit the floor (Spoilers)
« Reply #90 on: 18 August 2017, 12:56:13 »
1) As said, it's not just anyone.  All thouse who have become wights have been killed in White Walker situations.  All the slain around Crastor's Keep after that little dust up didn't reanimate, or at least not in a hurry, having been killed by mortal men.  Now, had a walker shown up, perhaps it could have made use of thouse corpses. 

2) Of course, the reason they're doing that is because it's super cool, naturally.  They've explicitly said it won't take place in the books, which is natural since the books benifit less from that sort of cinimatic drama.  But, if you want the Magnificant Seven with swards and zombies, then this is what you get.  It's a bit less Game of Thones-y and more TV-y, so there's no small part of me that doesn't really like it, but at the same time there should be a lot of awesome fighting and so on, so there's a medium sized part of me that's relitively excited.

Now, I just hope they're well prepaired.  There's really no point in assembling a small, elite strike force and not prepairing them for the job correctly.  So if they don't each have a belt full of obsidian I'll be a little put out.  They should also have pretty excelent intel, since Bran sent a fleet of spy drones in to do airial recon, so if (when?) they blunder into the enemy unexpectedly I'll again be a bit shocked.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #91 on: 18 August 2017, 15:07:58 »
They should also have pretty excelent intel, since Bran sent a fleet of spy drones in to do airial recon, so if (when?) they blunder into the enemy unexpectedly I'll again be a bit shocked.

You mean the flight of ravens that was detected by the Night King and flicked away? Doesn't seem like Bran would have gotten much info from that, nor that he passed on much more intel than "really BIG zombie army coming, guys".

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #92 on: 18 August 2017, 18:47:04 »
Ehh, not quite. Refer the Hardhome battle. They become wights (i.e. fast zombies), and the Night King (or any White Walker, not sure) needs to reanimate the undestroyed body.

Based on what I watched this morning, the next episode shows exactly what can be done with this...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #93 on: 19 August 2017, 01:01:24 »
You mean the flight of ravens that was detected by the Night King and flicked away? Doesn't seem like Bran would have gotten much info from that, nor that he passed on much more intel than "really BIG zombie army coming, guys".

True, he didn't have time to loiter and count heads, but he presumptivly knew where he was, at least roughly (how long flying in a given direction, or just past some known landmaark), that the army was vast more than a small squad can handle, and personally lead by the knight king. For someone who knows that chaos is a ladder and how pretty the snow was on his sister's wedding day, a half second glimpse should be ample.

Now, did he pass that on? Maybe not, but if nit what was the point? He already knew they were coming in general terms, his companions having died protecting him from them.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #94 on: 19 August 2017, 05:30:01 »
When I think about it, Bran didn't really do anything exept see a big army that is coming and they already knew that. But he saw where they were going and that will help.
The Night King also knows he is being watched and that would change a few things.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #95 on: 20 August 2017, 11:04:18 »
I don't think it's anyone who dies north of the Wall becomes a wight; they have to specifically be reanimated by the White Walkers' magic.

Huh. Waaaaay back in the beginning, when Jon Snow was aide to the Night's Watch Commander, didn't he (JS) kill a walker that was made from someone who died north of the wall but was then brought back to the keep? Am I remembering that incorrectly?

ajh

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #96 on: 20 August 2017, 12:47:19 »
Huh. Waaaaay back in the beginning, when Jon Snow was aide to the Night's Watch Commander, didn't he (JS) kill a walker that was made from someone who died north of the wall but was then brought back to the keep? Am I remembering that incorrectly?

ajh

More or less.  The corpse in question was already a wight, it was just playing possum. Sam nailed it when he said the bodies were strange, no smell AT ALL, but Mormont wanted them examined. Why these particular wights were tasked with playing dead hasn't been touched on, but that's what they were doing.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #97 on: 20 August 2017, 14:28:13 »
Well, they didn't just happen to die, if memory serves, they were killed by a White Walker, so that's already there.  As to why they may have not just spring back to life at once, may be that that's just how long it takes, but more likely the White Walkers are actually pretty sophistocated and they did that intentionally to cause harm to the Night's Watch.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #98 on: 20 August 2017, 21:36:11 »
I am so happy right now (after having seen S7 e6)

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #99 on: 20 August 2017, 22:32:59 »
Very predictable but awesome ending.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #100 on: 20 August 2017, 23:31:53 »
Reading online reviews, a pet theory that has been rattling around in my head might have a small, tiny bit more credence.

Suppose the third head (of "the dragon has three heads" fame) is actually the night king. In the original novels, the night king was most likely originally a Stark (in the show, he's apparently one of the first men, which still kinda counts, really, so are the Starks by blood).

And it's a Song of Ice and Fire. Maybe the end game isn't for one side to vanquish the other, but achieving a balance between the two, with a child of both sides (Jon Snow) serving to balance each side in a way that keeps one side from slaughtering the other every few millennia.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #101 on: 21 August 2017, 00:00:56 »
I've been predicting it for about two seasons now... and i finally get to say it: UNDEAD FREAKING DRAGON!

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #102 on: 21 August 2017, 00:54:02 »
I've been predicting it for about two seasons now... and i finally get to say it: UNDEAD FREAKING DRAGON!

Bah... FLAMING ZOMBIE POLAR BEAR!

;)
« Last Edit: 21 August 2017, 01:03:17 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #103 on: 21 August 2017, 01:29:26 »
Kind of saw it coming. If any dragon-on-dragon action was to occu,r it had to happen. Now just wait, Jon's going to get the other dragon and then both he and Dany will go after the Night King... there's your Song of Ice and Fire right there...

In the books (not sure about the show) that body was already wighted, one of the Watch who found the body commented that the body's eyes were blue and the original person hadn't had blue eyes.

Later on Jon does an experiment and puts some dead bodies in the Watch's cells, hoping that they'd turn, but nothing happens. That establishes the principle we see in the TV series - it takes a White Walker to personally turn a corpse into a wight.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #104 on: 21 August 2017, 01:46:04 »
That was the dumbest ****** episode to date of this often too dumb for its own good show.

Though I will say they did surprise me by not killing off Tormund, especially once he started talking about his future plans.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #105 on: 21 August 2017, 02:12:40 »
That was the dumbest ****** episode to date of this often too dumb for its own good show.
Okay, but why?

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #106 on: 21 August 2017, 02:13:47 »

And it's a Song of Ice and Fire. Maybe the end game isn't for one side to vanquish the other, but achieving a balance between the two, with a child of both sides (Jon Snow) serving to balance each side in a way that keeps one side from slaughtering the other every few millennia.

Kind of like what the Matrix turned out to be?

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #107 on: 27 August 2017, 21:30:32 »
All I have to say about this episode is pretty much everything I expected to happen happened except for one thing.

All I have to say about the one thing that happened that I didn't fully expect is Sansa finally became a big girl and Arya was awesome.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #108 on: 27 August 2017, 23:26:55 »
Yeah, the turn to Littlefinger was quite interesting . . . he must not have heard the rumors about Bran.

One fun thing is . . . they left it up in the are if Tormund is still alive with Beric Dondarrion.  Both were running down the tunnels of the wall headed inland rather than to the stairs.  They will have to walk the wall on the abandoned paths to one of the other outposts though the show did not go into more of them being manned.

Not sure I get Tyrion's look about Jon stepping into Dani's cabin.  Sam recalling the part told to him by the daughter while they were reading was a stretch, he was shouting down the woman while she told him that part of the diary.

Predictions for early in next/last season!

Dani is preggers by 1/4 of the way
Still say the new Lord Lannister ends up killing Cersei
If Tormund survives will Briene have TWO suitors?
Hound kills Mountain . . . who seems to have shrunk- last episode, at the same time Jaime the little brother kill his sister
Sansa becomes the Lady of Winterfell . . .
I expect Arya to be sidelined in the war in the North though we see her in the Xth Battle of Winterfell that ends the threat of the dead, she plays a key role in sneaking Hound & Jaime back into Kings Landing with the Onion Knight.

Things that will be interesting-
How Bran tells Jon & Dani . . . and what the fallout will be, he submitted to her . . . will she submit to his stronger claim?  Or will they break the wheel to be co-rulers?
Do any of the Dragons survive?
The Gold Company has a internal story that is not what may be expected, do they stay with Cersei?

Do not care . . .
Theon can sail off the end of the world, not sure what the Iron Isles is contributing to the story outside of Eulon & his fleet.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #109 on: 27 August 2017, 23:38:04 »
Do not care . . .
Theon can sail off the end of the world, not sure what the Iron Isles is contributing to the story outside of Eulon & his fleet.

Dues Ex Machina.

Somehow some way Theon and Yara will come in swooping to save someone in Team Double Dragon's battle.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #110 on: 27 August 2017, 23:58:20 »
Oh yeah, I figure we will get the simple route where they turn Eulon's fleet when he shows he does not care about the Isles.  Theon will grow more of a spine and become the figurehead with Yara.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #111 on: 28 August 2017, 04:08:54 »
I was kinda upset on how cowardly Euron was when he saw the Zombie. I can see his point, but if what Cersei says is true...he will be back in a big way. I really wanted Theon to go away. Im so tired of him, and wished he would of been the big death in there also.
I wasn't really surprised with Littlefinger getting what was coming to him, he played his cards to much and lost. The Arya and Sansa part was great, Sansa has turned into a good leader and now with the help of Arya it will stay that way.
I was really surprised with Cersei not ending both Tyrion and Jamie, she hates both (everyone she has met) and I thought Jamie was going to lose his head with the help of the Mountain.....he needed to do something cool this season.
The wall coming down, the big reveal with Jon and Dany getting together, It was no big surprise to me. Now how will they be being nephew/aunt will be quite different, the sides might change, knowing he isnt a Stark will really change the minds on the People of the North.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #112 on: 28 August 2017, 04:26:08 »
Typical Sam. Woman hits on idea/revelation. He shouts her down. Weeks later expresses her same idea as his own.
In the bin, Sam...

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #113 on: 28 August 2017, 05:12:04 »
I wasn't really surprised with Littlefinger getting what was coming to him, he played his cards to much and lost. The Arya and Sansa part was great, Sansa has turned into a good leader and now with the help of Arya it will stay that way.

Kind of disappointing that Arya did the deed IMO.  As I said in the previous season's thread, I would have liked Littlefinger to go out like this guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_I,_Duke_of_Guise

with the Northern and Vale lords advancing on Littlefinger and knifing him en masse.  It would have kept with the story's habit of having major events and personalities modeled on real-world history.

A bit of a kangaroo court, though, with the major source of evidence being Bran's visions...

I was really surprised with Cersei not ending both Tyrion and Jamie, she hates both (everyone she has met) and I thought Jamie was going to lose his head with the help of the Mountain.....he needed to do something cool this season.

I'm surprised that Jaime didn't end Tyrion already!  He never really believed Tyrion poisoned Joffrey, but there is still that matter of Tyrion having killed their father while Tywin sat on the loo...

The wall coming down, the big reveal with Jon and Dany getting together, It was no big surprise to me. Now how will they be being nephew/aunt will be quite different, the sides might change, knowing he isnt a Stark will really change the minds on the People of the North.

Well remember, Jon (or should we call him Aegon now?) is still half-Stark, through his mother.  And personality-wise, he's the closest thing to the second coming of Ned.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

William J. Pennington

• Lieutenant
« Reply #114 on: 28 August 2017, 07:08:00 »
What is certain is Jon can't be the leader of House Stark by tradition if his true parentage becomes known, but tradition has been not holding up well lately. Traditionally, being in the Nights Watch removed you from inheritance, and being a bastard..so ignoring a third rule, inheritance going to the eldest daughter after all male sons are eliminated before the sibling (or heirs of the sibling) of the parent, isnt impossible.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #115 on: 28 August 2017, 07:41:14 »
What is certain is Jon can't be the leader of House Stark by tradition if his true parentage becomes known, but tradition has been not holding up well lately. Traditionally, being in the Nights Watch removed you from inheritance, and being a bastard..so ignoring a third rule, inheritance going to the eldest daughter after all male sons are eliminated before the sibling (or heirs of the sibling) of the parent, isnt impossible.
Given this, then Bran is the Lord of Winterfell, as Ned's eldest son. Suck it, Sansa*.

* - I'm sure he'll abdicate in her favor as he is an invalid.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #116 on: 28 August 2017, 08:20:25 »

Until Death releases him from his vows . . . Jon died, thus in death released from his vows.  They did not take into account any resurrection.

Bran already said that he could not be Lord of Winterfell.
Colt Ward

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #117 on: 28 August 2017, 09:09:57 »
Until Death releases him from his vows . . . Jon died, thus in death released from his vows.  They did not take into account any resurrection.

I am really quite surprised that literally nobody has said "Hey Jon, aren't you breaking your vow by leaving the Night's Watch?" because who is actually going to believe he died and came back? And that's even if he's told anybody outside his intimate circle since it seems as if he's trying to keep that secret (because it sounds nuts).

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #118 on: 28 August 2017, 09:38:05 »
I am really quite surprised that literally nobody has said "Hey Jon, aren't you breaking your vow by leaving the Night's Watch?" because who is actually going to believe he died and came back? And that's even if he's told anybody outside his intimate circle since it seems as if he's trying to keep that secret (because it sounds nuts).

I chalk it up to everyone assuming he's just getting away with breaking his Night's Watch vows simply because he can by virtue of being King in the North.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #119 on: 28 August 2017, 10:14:16 »
When Jon died that is when his watch ended. He got revived and im sure for "lawyers reasons" says he don't have his vow to the Nights Watch anymore.

Register