Author Topic: And You Thought There Was Never an Anime Thread on This Forum!  (Read 163207 times)

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
Re: And You Thought There Was Never an Anime Thread on This Forum!
« Reply #90 on: 08 August 2017, 09:41:38 »
I think there's two key things that rubbed me the wrong way.

1)She's a complete prick to her older brother and he puts up with it.  Why?  Yeah he clearly cares for her, but that's not enough to put up with all that.

2) She physically changes into the little gremlin.   I thought it was supposed to just be a representation of her becoming a different person at home, but with Kirie it became really clear she actually changes.  Many times a work of fiction requires some suspension of disbelief, but this one just requires too large a leap for me.  Doesn't help that I didn't like Gremlin Umaru.    I'd rather have seen Umaru stay normal all the time.  She was actually likable that way even when she wasn't being a "perfect teenage girl".

Those were my exact reactions as well. I really didn't care for Umaru-chan, and dropped it after episode 1. If it becomes even more about people's phoney self-presentations, I'm glad I stopped when I did!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #91 on: 08 August 2017, 12:17:47 »
Ack, AnimeNewsNetwork down....hope it's not bad.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #92 on: 08 August 2017, 12:24:35 »
ANN's been down since late yesterday afternoon.
And I agree, I hope it's not anything really bad either.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #93 on: 08 August 2017, 12:56:53 »
They were hacked and thoroughly compromised. Considering they lost their DNS address & social media accounts, I suspect Zac or another owner's email was cracked. They've currently uploaded a backup of the site at their Capellan Confederation host: http://www.animenewsnetwork.cc/site-news/2017-08-08/update-what-going-on-with-anime-news-network/.119882

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #94 on: 08 August 2017, 15:02:36 »
Changing my password...i guess no where is safe these days.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #95 on: 08 August 2017, 20:45:09 »
I think there's two key things that rubbed me the wrong way.

1)She's a complete prick to her older brother and he puts up with it.  Why?  Yeah he clearly cares for her, but that's not enough to put up with all that.

2) She physically changes into the little gremlin.   I thought it was supposed to just be a representation of her becoming a different person at home, but with Kirie it became really clear she actually changes.  Many times a work of fiction requires some suspension of disbelief, but this one just requires too large a leap for me.  Doesn't help that I didn't like Gremlin Umaru.    I'd rather have seen Umaru stay normal all the time.  She was actually likable that way even when she wasn't being a "perfect teenage girl".
Ah, marketability - I think that part of it is still the idea that games are for the immature, so of COURSE you can't show a teenage girl who's getting straight A's at the top of her class enjoying video games as herself.

Made in Abyss. Anyone else keeping up with this? Because holy cow is it just as good as I thought it would be, especially now that their actual adventure has started.

Also, in a shocking break from HorribleSubs tradition, they're subtitling songs now? Since when?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #96 on: 08 August 2017, 21:48:46 »
Rather shockingly, it appears that Sentai actually included the OVAs with their Blu-Ray release of Monster Musume.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #97 on: 09 August 2017, 08:31:15 »
Made in Abyss. Anyone else keeping up with this? Because holy cow is it just as good as I thought it would be, especially now that their actual adventure has started.

Also, in a shocking break from HorribleSubs tradition, they're subtitling songs now? Since when?

Yep, Made In Abyss is fantastic! I am excited/dreading what all they'll end up facing as they descend, but hey, at least Riko's got Mega Man Volnutt w/her!

The song subtitles are probably just an artifact of whoever is streaming it, aren't they?

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #98 on: 09 August 2017, 12:39:02 »
Rather shockingly, it appears that Sentai actually included the OVAs with their Blu-Ray release of Monster Musume.
Ooo! Should I buy it... Nah, I'll stick to manga version
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #99 on: 10 August 2017, 22:42:59 »
Watching Gamers! thining I may need a diagram to keep track of all the varied misunderstandings between these characters.

Fun to wach at least
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #100 on: 10 August 2017, 23:02:07 »
Do you remember animated short ME!ME!ME!? Yeah, that one which wouldn't be liking to forum moderators, so I refrain from linking to it. Look up on YouTube a video What is ME!ME!ME! (NSFW) - Goombah's Real Talk on channel Gaijin Goombah Media. It gives detailed explanation about that light show and... it creeps me out!
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #101 on: 11 August 2017, 19:38:46 »
ok for those who had not noticed...
new game season 2 just started
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #102 on: 11 August 2017, 23:21:54 »
Do you remember animated short ME!ME!ME!? Yeah, that one which wouldn't be liking to forum moderators, so I refrain from linking to it. Look up on YouTube a video What is ME!ME!ME! (NSFW) - Goombah's Real Talk on channel Gaijin Goombah Media. It gives detailed explanation about that light show and... it creeps me out!

Definitely Not Safe For Work.  Or this forum.   But you're right it is psychologically interesting once you understand what is going on.
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #103 on: 11 August 2017, 23:26:12 »
It has a sequel now, called GIRL.  It's just as trippy and full of symbolism
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #104 on: 14 August 2017, 12:15:05 »
Ann (Capellan Combine version) reported that Full Metal Panic: Invisible Victory promo video (Japanese only) has been released in the wild.

Looks good so far.  It's now slated Spring 2018...

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #105 on: 15 August 2017, 13:23:34 »
ok came across this little gem

TO

2 ova nice visual and music is pretty good
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #106 on: 15 August 2017, 13:41:45 »
TO?

elf25s

• Major

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #108 on: 15 August 2017, 13:59:18 »
Where do I even find such a title?

kato

• Captain
« Reply #109 on: 15 August 2017, 14:31:20 »
Through Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Nights#TO
It's an adaption of two chapters of the 1980s scifi manga 2001 Nights into two mostly standalone OVAs.
CR has it under "TO Movie".

The 3-volume full manga was published in English by Viz in the mid-90s.

There's also a 1987 hour-long OVA (Space Fantasia 2001 Ya Monogatari) that has never been translated to English.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #110 on: 15 August 2017, 14:40:58 »
Oh, cool! I googled TO anime & it wasn't immediately clear, thanks!
« Last Edit: 15 August 2017, 15:52:24 by MadCapellan »

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #111 on: 15 August 2017, 15:33:32 »
Where do I even find such a title?
sent you the link earlier...enjoy! i did

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #112 on: 17 August 2017, 00:01:12 »
Through Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Nights#TO
It's an adaption of two chapters of the 1980s scifi manga 2001 Nights into two mostly standalone OVAs.
CR has it under "TO Movie".

The 3-volume full manga was published in English by Viz in the mid-90s.

There's also a 1987 hour-long OVA (Space Fantasia 2001 Ya Monogatari) that has never been translated to English.

Funimation also has it.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #113 on: 19 August 2017, 18:58:40 »
Re-watching the Heavy Object series from 2015.  Yes, some fan service, but i like the story and the humor that in it between the action.  How can you go wrong with Orge or 100k super-heavy dropship size Combat Vehicles dueling it out.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #114 on: 19 August 2017, 20:54:45 »
Re-watching the Heavy Object series from 2015.  Yes, some fan service, but i like the story and the humor that in it between the action.  How can you go wrong with Orge or 100k super-heavy dropship size Combat Vehicles dueling it out.
It is a lot of fun, too bad mobile structures are too slow.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #115 on: 22 August 2017, 16:50:30 »
Just saw some previews last night on YouTube.  A third season of Shokugeki no Soma is due out this fall.   Looks like they are introducing a bunch of new characters.  I though the first two seasons where hilarious, so I'll be looking forward to that.  The Godzilla Monster Planet anime movie looks cool.  Hope that gets subbed of dubbed fairly soon.  Saw that UQ Holder! (sequel to Negima) is coming out as an anime.  It will be interesting to see if they can break the curse on anime based on Ken Akamatsu's manga and produce something that doesn't suck.  Finger's crossed on this one.  Also a new Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World anime series.  Not sure of its a remake or a sequel but I'll be sure to watch.  A number of others look worth at least checking out; Mahoutsukai no Yome, Dies Irae, Black Clover, and Dia Horizon.  Should be a good Fall season.
« Last Edit: 22 August 2017, 16:54:39 by mdauben »
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #116 on: 22 August 2017, 16:56:33 »
Saw that UQ Holder! (sequel to Negima) is coming out as an anime.  It will be interesting to see if they can break the curse on anime based on Ken Akamatsu's manga and produce something that doesn't suck.
He's had a bad run with anime adaptions. I don't think it's his fault, since they kept make them while he was in the middle of production.

UQ Holder isn't as popular in Japan, i just hope anime mixup of it doesn't transform it into something it's not. I like more adventure/action oriented UQ Holder vs current manga where they're retreading into Negima flashbacks.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #117 on: 22 August 2017, 21:33:21 »
Just saw the most recent episode and Princess Principle continues to deliver a great show time and time again. Not a single one has been even average, they have all been high caliber. Keep it up guys!
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #118 on: 23 August 2017, 06:37:00 »
Yeah, hands down Princess Principal is the best show this season! Studio 3Hz does it again! Not only is the world gorgeously detailed, but the writing of all the overlapping schemes & mysteries is an absolute knock-out!

Steampunk! Action! Cute girls! What's not to love?

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #119 on: 23 August 2017, 07:45:54 »
Is Princess Principle streaming in US?
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

Register