Author Topic: Arm actuator and firing arc rules adjustments, and other stuff  (Read 3537 times)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
These are part of my larger tech and rules overhaul/modification project done entirely for the fun of it.
But i'm posting these now for feedback and because someone might find these interesting (there are no guarantees my "overhaul" gets posted ever).

In standard BattleTech rules, there are two ideal arm actuator configurations (assuming addition space is not needed). These are:
-Both arms have all actuators for maximum utility and benefit in melee (eg Shadow Hawk)
-Both arms have only shoulder and upper arm actuators for capability to flip arms (eg Rifleman)

Asymmetric and partial configurations, such as:
-One arm has only shoulder and upper actuator while the other has at least lower actuator (eg Thunder)
-One or both arms having only lower arm actuator (eg Enforcer, Vindicator)
are effectively pointless.

My aim is to "fix" this issue and add slight amount of realism in the process, by modifying different configurations's effects on firing arcs and close combat accuracy.

Under standard rules, the most baffling arm configuration is one that lacks a hand actuator but not the lower actuator. What is the point? The cost of hand actuator is negligible, and removing it causes melee penalty. Sure, this matches art (eg the Marauder) but where's the benefit? The Marauder does not need additional critical space either, except in some of its advanced variants.
The solution here is to give meaning for presence of a lower arm actuator by making its absence modify arm firing arcs, and to give some benefit to weapons when removing hand actuator while making hand actuator more useful in melee combat.
Code: [Select]
-Missing hand actuator no longer affects melee accuracy. (Functionally this means all only-lower arm actuator 'Mechs will be treated as having Barrel Fist quirk from BattleMech Manual)
-Having hand actuator grants -1 to hit bonus for melee attacks (including melee weapons [under my overhaul, melee weapons can be attached to elbow and do not require hand actuator])
-Hand actuator increases melee attack damage by 1 whether it is a punch of a strike with a melee weapon.
-Clubs require only one hand, and clubs gain benefits of hand actuators but picking up one prevents firing that arm's weapons.
-Removing hand actuator while retaining lower arm actuator reduces minimum range by 1. For example, the PPC's minimum range without hand actuator would be 2. This does not benefit all weapons but may be significant when it has effect (This idea is borrowed from Sabelkatten, in modified form.)
-Lacking lower arm actuator reduces that arm's field of fire (diagram 2 and 3 illustrate this, below).
-Lacking lower arm actuator allows weapons in that arm to fire to rear arc, regardless of the other arm's actuator configuration, and can be done simultaneously with firing another weapon forward or arm's own side arc, and while torso twisting without PSR.
-OmniMechs no longer require removing lower and hand actuators for heavy weapons like autocannons.

Diagram 1, standard firing arcs:

C for hexes where both arms and torso weapons can fire.
R and L for hexes where right and left arm weapons, respectively, can fire.
B for hexes where rear-mounted weapons, including weapons from arms without hand and lower arm actuators, can fire.

Diagram 2, right arm does not have hand and lower arm actuators:

Diagram 3, neither arm has hand and lower actuators:

Some reasoning behind these changes:
-One additional component here is tweaking cost of actuators to be actually meaningful: Hands offer utility and benefits in melee combat but the trade-off is additional cost and complexity.
-I am also trying to make melee combat more desirable by buffing punches. While nerfing kicks would make punches possibly better option, overall it would be a nerf for melee combat. By buffing punches, melee overall becomes better.
-Never saw any point in clubs requiring both arms since melee weapons can be held in one-hand and most clubs are one-shot weapons anyway. This change makes picking up clubs easier and perhaps more desirable depending on the 'Mech.
-Placing weapons where hands should be allows aiming weapons more quickly, which is mostly useful in close combat. This is a result of moment of inertia, a shorter appendage is easier and faster to move. A hand actuator does not weight a meaningful amount as 'Mechs are concerned but it does lengthen an arm, and makes weapon placement more complex requiring overall larger arm.
-I felt that flipping arms (let alone torso-twist+arm flipping!) is somewhat restrictive rule, especially with my other modifications. Especially so in my overhaul, which will require rebuilding most 'Mechs and i'll use that to remove rear-firing weapons in most cases. 'Mechs with only upper and shoulder actuators in one or both arms can respond to backstabbers moreeasily but gives them slight a new blind-spot unless torso is twisted.
-Limited firing arc for arms that lack lower arm actuator is an added bit of realism, and was inspired by MechWarrior Online's actuator system. An analogue: Place your palm on the same arm's shoulder and point your elbow forward, and then turn it sideways. Contrast to the whole arm's range of motion when forearm and elbow can be freely used. Humans can't flip their arms but 'Mech construction is not quite identical to humans'.
-Lacking lower arm actuator limits the arm's lateral motion and so such configuration does not gain the reduced minimum range benefit.
-The OmniMech restricted actuators rule was always a bit odd. It makes sense in fluff to an extent but functionally it was kinda stupid, especially since it was so selective (10 ton Streak LRM 20 can be fitted with a hand but a 0.5 ton AP Gauss rifle cannot...).

Register