Author Topic: Pirate Mech Choices  (Read 7119 times)

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
Re: Pirate Mech Choices
« Reply #30 on: 05 August 2017, 14:17:27 »

The capability to produce primitive technology may or may not exisst, depending on the era.  But as Jihad examples like the Rook show, establishing or reproducing a primitive technology production capability is easier than doing the same for introductory or higher levels of military technology.

I'd also note that things like industrial and commercial armor should be more widely produced and available than standard armor, regardless of era.

FWIW...

"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #31 on: 05 August 2017, 17:37:22 »
Couldn't some of those be made by a blacksmith?
Well first you'll need to FIND an actual blacksmith, which is probably harder then you'd think. Plus if any of the parts you need were machine made (not sure on chances of this) he'll need to find jigs and other tools to actually make the parts.

Compare this to a modern gun where parts are COTS. Sure if there's no gun production anywhere it MIGHT be easier to make the civil war gun, but it's pretty iffy, you'd need sample either way and modern weapons probably have better technical data lying around. Then there's the differences in refining technology, better hope that doesn't muck things up, as it did for the US with their nuclear program.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #32 on: 05 August 2017, 17:40:13 »
I've heard blacksmiths in Afghanistan can make some parts for modern weapons, but you're probably right about needing a jig or some kind of template.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #33 on: 06 August 2017, 08:56:39 »
Something else to consider about primitive tech.. yeah, it's not going to stand up to modern (3025) weaponry. Period.

You're also a pirate, so going toe-to-toe with the planetary militia is probably not what you're wanting to do anyway, at least if you're a SMART pirate. Take what you want and run like hell, right? What good does it do to beat on the enemy military? Even if you get a few kills, you probably take serious losses if you do- and while they can just request reinforcements from home in a few weeks, pirate losses are pretty permanent. Any replacements have to be stolen in yet another dangerous raid- and with less force than you had to begin with, so you're in a bad spiral now.

So. A smart pirate (so, one who lasts longer than a couple of months) will hit targets carefully. Things that aren't well defended, or that they can gain a significant advantage over. Maybe feint attacks to draw off defenders, or cause a disaster that forces the defenders to assist in relief efforts. Anything to reduce the number of guns pointed at them.

So if all you're facing is civilians and local police are your expected opponents, with militia forces a worst-case scenario (we're not even thinking about raiding somewhere that could have line military forces on-site because SMART PIRATE), ancient tech will work just fine- after all, a group of civvies with hunting rifles will have just as tough of a time against a primitive Shadow Hawk as they will against a 2H or 5D or whatever. As long as I don't get into a slugfest with the enemy defenses, all is well. (And if I do, at least make sure the modern-tech valuable stuff is what makes it back to the Dropship first- after all, that stuff is valuable!)
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #34 on: 06 August 2017, 14:06:26 »
Another good Pirate mech around this time would be the Exterminator 4A. It's like a Quickdraw with more armor. ;D
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #35 on: 06 August 2017, 14:14:36 »
Primitive tech would be good canon fodder as long as there was steady and inexpensive source for it.
Primitive = Commerical technology, thus why it would be popular if people had known.

If Succession Wars had been more knowledgeable about it.  Standard tech would be Star League technology in comparison to Primitive tech users that would properly be more common if wasn't completely forgotten about.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #36 on: 23 October 2017, 11:35:59 »
Pirates. The Shadowrun game of Battletech.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #37 on: 23 October 2017, 13:57:41 »
Standard 1V Locusts, standard Stingers, standard Wasps. All three are very common across the Inner Sphere and Periphery, and reasonably common among pirates (though badly maintained).

Pirates prefer Stingers to Locusts and Wasps (and Wolverines over Griffins and ShadowHawks) because the standard model is the R variant.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #38 on: 23 October 2017, 16:54:27 »
Ouch Kit. *winces*
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

cpip

• Corporal
« Reply #39 on: 23 October 2017, 17:16:17 »
Pirates prefer Stingers to Locusts and Wasps (and Wolverines over Griffins and ShadowHawks) because the standard model is the R variant.

I'm embarrassed to say I didn't get it at first blush.

That's magnificently terrible.

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
  • Master of the LolCat Horde
« Reply #40 on: 23 October 2017, 18:12:45 »
Wut AARRRRR yee trying to say matey? ;)
One does not just walk into Detroit

She ignored the dragon, and Freddy Mercury who arrived to battle it with the Power of Rock.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #41 on: 23 October 2017, 18:20:13 »
Too bad this thread wasn't up on Talk Like a Pirate day...  ::)

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #42 on: 24 October 2017, 10:55:50 »
There's a drastic difference between the ideal choice for a pirate 'Mech and what a pirate is most likely to have.  Typically, a pirate uses whatever is available, not what he (or she) would WANT to use.

The ideal would be for something reasonably fast with hands, primarily energy weapon oriented, with some anti-personnel capability.  Granted, not everything in the force would need to follow that format, but that would be the preferred "norm".  An Ostsol or Ostroc as the commander's ride checks off the speed, hands, and energy boxes, and would likely have another 'Mech armed with machineguns or other anti-personnel weapons working in close support to cover the last base.

Most likely, a pirate is going to either be running something that he was operating when the unit he was a part of went rogue, or else something under-guarded that he was able to steal.  Whether it was well suited for piracy or not will very likely have absolutely nothing to do with it.  Whether the pirates are able to modify their equipment to better suit their needs, or have no choice but to modify their equipment (resorting to things even less suitable for the task) just to keep it running at all, depends on the situation and the abilities of the pirates.

If the pirate unit is operating with a "letter of marque", with the tacit approval or even direct undercover support of a House, then it may be able to acquire more of what it wants, rather than suffer with whatever it has.  This obviously depends on the nature of their relationship to their patron, and the terms under which they are permitted to raid.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #43 on: 24 October 2017, 13:14:11 »
Shiver me timbers, I'm banning Kit for that pun. Y'arrrr!  #P
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #44 on: 25 October 2017, 11:59:35 »
Shiver me timbers, I'm banning Kit for that pun. Y'arrrr!  #P
Aye, he be punishing us with his puns. Time to walk that matey off the plank.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki