Author Topic: MekHQ: Size of Astech pool?  (Read 2867 times)

meltdown

• Recruit
MekHQ: Size of Astech pool?
« on: 21 August 2017, 06:55:52 »
First of all, hello! This is my first post on these forums. So good to meet you all.  ^-^

I have a question about MekHQ and the way it calculates the number of astechs you need to have in order to have maximum efficiency. Previously I calculated it based on the rules laid down by Field Manual Mercenaries (Revised) where it states:
To operate at full effectiveness, technical staff must include at least one astech for every two technicians (for medical staff, a paramedic is equivalent to an astech).

Currently I have a pool of 14 mech techs, 2 mechanics (for vehicles) and hired 8 astechs (they show up in my personnel pool). According to the text in FM:Mr this should be sufficient (1 astech per 2 technicians, 16:8 ratio)

However, when I try to advance the day, I get the warning that my astech pool is missing 9 astechs to provide full maintenance.

Am I doing something wrong? Or missing something? or does MekHQ calculate Astech requirements differently? Any clarification or assistance would be appreciated. :)
« Last Edit: 21 August 2017, 09:06:46 by meltdown »

Bonepart

• Corporal
Re: MekHQ: Size of Astech pool?
« Reply #1 on: 21 August 2017, 09:06:59 »
I would have to look it up but I'm pretty sure one of the new rule books, StratOps I think, says 1 Tech needs 6 Astechs for a full team.

Edit: The usual course of action for people is to hire your Techs and then just use the option to 'bring teams to full strength'. I forget the exact wording. It hires all the astechs you need as temps. The same for your medical teams.
« Last Edit: 21 August 2017, 09:08:40 by Bonepart »

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #2 on: 21 August 2017, 09:30:43 »
You can use the check-boxes in the campaign options to select an alternate set of maintenance rules.  One requires 6 Astechs per tech who's got an assignment (which it sounds like you're using), the other goes strictly by man-hours, and only requires a large number of Astechs if you're doing a lot of repairs.  You do need a minimum of 6 Astechs, however.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 21 August 2017, 17:56:45 »
not sure if it helps but whenever i play i switch the astech bring it to full in mhq it brings in  4 astech per tech regardless if its mechtech or mechanic as fer doctor and medics its seems to be 1 doctor 4 medics
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

meltdown

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 22 August 2017, 02:20:21 »
Thanks for your suggestions. It seems that I was erroneously mistaken that with setting some of the rules to FM:Mr I also changed that behavior. I did manage to find the text to the Strat Ops book, so I have some reference.

I've been reluctant to switch to the new books, mainly because of my vast collection that is based on MechWarrior 3rd edition and the people that I play with (who love that system), but for terms of repairing and maintenance I suppose it doesn't matter that much. As long as their mechs keep running I don't think they care how many astechs they have running around. ;)

meltdown

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: 22 August 2017, 02:25:49 »
You can use the check-boxes in the campaign options to select an alternate set of maintenance rules.  One requires 6 Astechs per tech who's got an assignment (which it sounds like you're using), the other goes strictly by man-hours, and only requires a large number of Astechs if you're doing a lot of repairs.  You do need a minimum of 6 Astechs, however.
Could you by chance tell me where to find these checkboxes? I've been looking on the campaign settings (mainly the Repair and Acquisitions tab) but I haven't been able to find anything I identify as changing that behavior.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 22 August 2017, 02:40:18 »
Sounds like turning maintenance off and only using the astech hours for repairs which means you can use however many astechs you like. Don't remember if it affects your Dragoons rating. I know it will for Cam Ops rating.