Author Topic: Infantry, no Target Type Modifier? [Answered]  (Read 1770 times)

Vorpalstar

• Private
Infantry, no Target Type Modifier? [Answered]
« on: 03 September 2017, 22:26:09 »
This might belong in the game rules questions, but maybe not, so I will ask here first.

In Alpha Strike, why do conventional Infantry not receive a Target Type Modifier on the To-Hit Modifiers Table like Battle Armor do?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the +1 modifier to hit Battle Armor reflect they are a smaller, harder to hit target. Would this same concept not apply to conventional Infantry Soldiers?
« Last Edit: 05 September 2017, 12:02:43 by Vorpalstar »

GoldBishop

• Warrant Officer
Re: Infantry, no Target Type Modifier?
« Reply #1 on: 03 September 2017, 23:09:19 »
I think it mostly has to do with the carry over from Classic/Standard... which was explained to me once and made perfect sense back then:

"Think of it as stepping on ants - if you go for the hill, you're likely to get more of them with a single stomp than going after the ones scattered away from the nest"

There's fewer units in a Battle Armor platoon/squad (4-6) than there are in a conventional infantry (25-30) and yet they occupy the same amount of space on the table top (at least, in game terms).  The +1 may reflect the "bigger spread" of the fewer-numbered troopers versus the larger group, increasing the difficulty of hitting.  (whether you consider it bigger area to cover with a single attack, or the hex providing suitable hiding places for individual units - the end result's the same in abstract combat).

Mechanized/motorized infantry types (wheeled, tracked, hover, naval, or VTOL) I consider too cumbersome or too clumsy to get the bonus the more nimble battle suit gets, so I wouldn't award them a bonus either (pretty sure they count as Conventional Infantry anyway, at least rationally speaking).
"Watch the man-made-lightning fly!"  -RaiderRed

Vorpalstar

• Private
Re: Infantry, no Target Type Modifier? [Answered]
« Reply #2 on: 05 September 2017, 11:06:03 »
That actually makes a lot of sense the way you explain it above.

Of course it also makes me wonder why conventional Infantry are not further broken down into squads or fire teams like they are in real life combat theaters, but that is just the Veteran in me thinking.
Which makes me wonder if it would be legal by the rules of both AS and BT to do just that.

Thanks for the answer, I appreciate it.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #3 on: 05 September 2017, 11:17:48 »
That actually makes a lot of sense the way you explain it above.

Of course it also makes me wonder why conventional Infantry are not further broken down into squads or fire teams like they are in real life combat theaters, but that is just the Veteran in me thinking.
Which makes me wonder if it would be legal by the rules of both AS and BT to do just that.

Thanks for the answer, I appreciate it.

For your Home Games...ANYTHING is legal.

As for official...sadly, no the rules do not currently work that way :(
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #4 on: 05 September 2017, 13:31:43 »
Actually, you *can* deploy squad-level infantry (The Combat Manuals have them).  The problem is that they're mostly impotent at that scale.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #5 on: 05 September 2017, 13:42:27 »
Actually, you *can* deploy squad-level infantry (The Combat Manuals have them).  The problem is that they're mostly impotent at that scale.

As an add-on to Vehicles only. Still count the same CAR-1 as most standard Conventional Infantry, and yes, are by and large, impotent.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Descronan

• Master Sergeant
  • "No multi-pass."
« Reply #6 on: 27 September 2017, 20:25:08 »
That explanation works fine with a full platoon of 28 men, but falls apart when you've lost 2/3rds of the force/points. Of course AS doesn't take account of those losses.

Honestly, I prefer assuming platoons are one ton of about 7 men each like dai da chi snipers. That way they can be mounted on every transport.

http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/2978/sniper-house-dai-da-chi-snipers