Author Topic: Stacking XP cost bonus  (Read 1362 times)

Restemayer

• Recruit
Stacking XP cost bonus
« on: 17 September 2017, 19:20:42 »
How do traits that effect XP skill costs stack?  I might just be missing it, but I can't seem to find it in either the manual or errata.

If I have a character with both fast learning and tech empathy, for example, for a tech skill would that be XP(1-0.2)(1-0.1) or is it XP(1-0.3)?  Those get two different results.

Also, I'm assuming these round down?

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Re: Stacking XP cost bonus
« Reply #1 on: 17 September 2017, 21:52:43 »
It is additive.

So if a skill is covered by Tech Empathy and you have Fast Learner it is 30% cheaper.

I actually have a chart in my AToW game aides thread.  Link should be in my signature and it should be on the first page of said thread.

Restemayer

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2017, 22:59:51 »
Thanks!  I think those all come out to whole numbers then, so the rounding issue doesn't come up... which is useful.  Lastly, about tech empathy, the errata adds text that specifies that it's only applicable after character creation... but I'm wondering why that addition is necessary.  Because the XP scheme is cumulative, why does that matter?  It retroactively effects the entire table anyway.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #3 on: 17 September 2017, 23:13:29 »
It is a strange errata but it actually does have an effect with that wording.

Optimization is basically the last step, an optional one sure, so thanks to that wording you don't actually get any XP back to spend elsewhere and thus have partial investments to the next skill rank since the discount is never enough to grant a full extra skill rank if I remember right.

Overall it is something I personally would ignore for the sake of consistency and simplicity.  So which ever works for your game.

Register