Author Topic: Testing into a new sub-caste...  (Read 1757 times)

Tegyrius

• Master Sergeant
  • They Are Not Our Friends
Testing into a new sub-caste...
« on: 29 September 2017, 18:16:11 »
Is this found in the warrior caste of any clan other than the Ghost Bears?

(I'm trying to align the fluff for a custom design that's on my whiteboard.)
Some places remain unknown because no one has gone there.  Others remain unknown because no one has come back.

AlphaMirage

• Major
Re: Testing into a new sub-caste...
« Reply #1 on: 29 September 2017, 22:54:38 »
I suppose it's possible to go up a level although it seems like mostly falling from one to another. 

Warrior to Tech or Scientist (or Laborer for Elementals) though I suppose Laborer to Merchant or Tech is possible as well.  We don't see much of the Clans other castes except when the Scientists go nuts during the Reading.

Tegyrius

• Master Sergeant
  • They Are Not Our Friends
« Reply #2 on: 30 September 2017, 06:23:39 »
I was specifically thinking of the Ghost Bear system for testing from, say, MechWarrior to Elemental. Getting a second Trial of Position.
Some places remain unknown because no one has gone there.  Others remain unknown because no one has come back.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #3 on: 30 September 2017, 09:16:06 »

I could have sworn the Bears can test down to become tankers like the Horses, but I can't find the reference.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 30 September 2017, 09:31:54 »
I always got the impression that this was standard practice in most clans, but those it is specifically called out in make more or better use of it.  I figure most of it goes something along the lines of

1) Trial of position for a combat cluster position
2) Trial of position for non-combat cluster position (guard duty, police, etc. - potentially even PBI in a combat cluster)
3) Trial of position for a civilian position
4) You are a failure, become a laborer

Any of the first two could, and probably often do, result in the death of the potential warrior.  Those clans which are specifically called out to allow for secondary trials are for other combat cluster positions, a MW or ASF pilot could become a battle armored warrior, or a tanker could become tanker crew, etc.

I don't have any fluff to back any of this up, but this is kind of how I see the clans working.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 02 October 2017, 05:44:50 »
I always got the impression that this was standard practice in most clans, but those it is specifically called out in make more or better use of it.I don't have any fluff to back any of this up, but this is kind of how I see the clans working.

Most clans didn't for the simple fact that they didn't deploy conventional forces in significant enough numbers in their toumans for it to matter and those that did were forgotten by their leaders most of the time ('Real warriors' don't consider members of the Watch or police to be 'true' warriors  ;)).
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Minchandre

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 06 October 2017, 20:45:18 »
Hell's Horses can "test down" - i.e., vehicles or conventional infantry, if they fail their trial.
Ghost Bears can retest as any other subcaste (even of equal prestige); e.g., 'MechWarrior to Aerospace Pilot
Steel Vipers can retest as conventional infantry only.

EDIT: Also, ProtoMech pilots are drawn from washout Aerospace Pilots, though I don't know if it's been said that it's only from those who fail their final Trial.
« Last Edit: 07 October 2017, 09:40:44 by Minchandre »

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 17 October 2017, 16:32:29 »
EDIT: Also, ProtoMech pilots are drawn from washout Aerospace Pilots, though I don't know if it's been said that it's only from those who fail their final Trial.

It depends at what point during the development of the ProtoMech.  Initially only washouts were used as Clans were testing the technology, but later entire aerospace sibkos were being reassigned as a whole before they even took their initial Trial of Position and finally some Clans started designing/creating ProtoMech pilot sibkos.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.