Author Topic: Battlemech Damage - Internal Skeleton Modding  (Read 2414 times)

carl_s_Z

• Private
Battlemech Damage - Internal Skeleton Modding
« on: 29 September 2017, 19:48:57 »
I was wondering what folks were doing to represent internal structure/endo skeleton of mechs that have been busted open from battle damage.  Kinda looking for ideas that look great!

Dakkon

• Corporal
Re: Battlemech Damage - Internal Skeleton Modding
« Reply #1 on: 29 September 2017, 23:11:55 »
This ( https://orig00.deviantart.net/28b9/f/2017/044/8/6/field_stripping_by_spooky777-dayy9ub.jpg ) would probably be a good reference.

Remember, mechs have muscles.

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 30 September 2017, 07:57:25 »
I did this one maybe 7 years ago...

I hacked off the Griffin's arm and rounded the shoulder to represent Inner Structure. I drilled holes all around that shoulder piece and originally added fiber optic strands to be the mynomer fibers, but they were too stiff and looked like a bristle brush. So I removed the strands and added green cross stitching floss. The ends were burned to make it look like they had melted off... To this day I think it could have benefited from more floss.

Other than that, I don't tend to maul my minis. I'm actually the person who tends to buy ones that have been damaged, cut them into even more pieces and then rebuild them to look new.

Caz

Hythos

• The Embiggened Man
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 30 September 2017, 10:04:16 »
Robots work off of framework and joints controlled by actuators (linear drives, hydraulics, motors, peizo's, servos, etc), where BattleMechs just simply replace these with Myomer musculature, just like human/oid physiology. If using human anatomy as a basis and substitute synthetic / metallic colors, you'd be just fine.

To represent this on a miniature scale, you could use balsa or styrene strips, pewter sprue (use clippers then file flat), or pieces of flat toothpick and glue into a cage-like formation, then fill in-between with parts, floss or 20-22g stranded electrical wire would work well for Myomer. If you have any damaged/broken electronics, you could probably find some tiny diodes and components... If you're going for 'damaged' and/or 'in repair', don't de-solder, just use some dykes and clip them off or in half ;)
IF you're good with soldering (OR would like to learn/practice), building a structure with pewter sprue would work great because tin-based solder will hold better than glue.

For concept, consider the Descent Stage for the Mars Science Laboratory... Here's an image without any "armor" (external components):
Agent 722
Salt Lake City / Utah
Have 'Mech, will travel.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #4 on: 30 September 2017, 22:09:55 »

"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 01 October 2017, 06:25:21 »
I tried to do that some years ago to represent Colonel J. Elliot Jamison.
It is a mix of wires in different thickness. Did a lot of coolant liquids to hinder more insights.

shadhawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: 01 October 2017, 07:44:17 »
these are some wreck counters I did

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 03 October 2017, 10:28:21 »
For what it's worth: The bundle of fibers spilling out of the CAV mini that Natasha K posted above is made out of sewing thread, soaked in superglue to stiffen it up.