Author Topic: Demolisher WIP  (Read 1804 times)

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
  • 3d artist, spread sheet warrior, KTF
Demolisher WIP
« on: 24 November 2017, 10:30:59 »
I really wanted to make the SRM Carrier and after that move on to the Rommel. However somehow I ended in trying to invent the Demolisher anew.

It is really interesting that the lore was very correct in using liquid binary propellant for the ChemSet 185mm because those shells are so huge that the loading with solid propellant would have resulted with the lack of enough space to store all the ammunition. (20 will be placed on the ready in the turret) the other 40 somewhere in the hull.

I never was a real tanker, driving in the back of a M113 and blowing stuff with a Laser  :o doesn't count.
But I hope I will get the interior correct as well as the stations of the three crew man.

as you might realize i dropped the unique placement of the Demolisher cannons (AFAIK no other tank ever used this diagonal layout again, the Devastator. the Demo II, the Challenger and other multi main gun tanks place the guns horizontal to each other (of course this grant a small silhouette)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Re: Demolisher WIP
« Reply #1 on: 24 November 2017, 12:06:36 »
An excellent update, she's looking like a Merkarva's bigger, angrier brother (if that's possible) and the turret layout and protection makes it look like its been pulled off a cruiser. But with 185mm guns it bloody well should be!
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
  • 3d artist, spread sheet warrior, KTF
« Reply #2 on: 28 November 2017, 05:19:46 »
The guns can fire multiple shells but the main ammunition might be a light saboted 105mm API-T - so you've got the inner ballistics of a 185mm and the outer ballistics of a 105.
When I did the math correct aprox 1600m/s are possible on those cannons and those should be able to penetrate around 360mm RHA at ~2km.
of course the classical APFS-DS would be even better but in terms of battletech i would not use them.
Maybe because of over penetration (a Mech might got hit by such a dart and nothing happens (but two neat holes)  where as the above 105mm will rock the target much better, maybe because of some Unobtanium

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #3 on: 28 November 2017, 05:25:46 »
IIRC from the old story about the first test of the Mackie she was shot at by a drone tank using a 105mm round and the armour resisted the round causing a deflection despite not being sloped.  The round just just didn't penetrate and left a dent and some flaking/spalling of the outside of the armour. 

Of course thats damn near impossible but hey its B-tech's magic armour :D  But your math, the rounds still plenty fast enough and packs a massive wallop.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Register