Author Topic: ASFs and unit standardization  (Read 2240 times)

Terrace

• Lieutenant
ASFs and unit standardization
« on: 05 December 2017, 20:26:33 »
Would you guys consider it appropriate for a House unit to be far more likely to use the same airframe across an entire squadron, simply because of how much more difficult it is to salvage enemy ASFs in repairable condition? Perhaps with squadrons and wings more commonly remaining understrength until a fresh shipment of pilots and machines come in?

I would also expand this into mercenary units that are conveniently close to a planet with a manufacturing facility that produces ASFs (whether they are a single jump away or lucky enough to be on the planet).

Mismatched mercenary squadrons? Those are the ones who likely buy used airframes from retiring pilots and such, or simply show up late when a manufacturer's yearly "for general sale" production is up for grabs.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: ASFs and unit standardization
« Reply #1 on: 05 December 2017, 22:04:25 »
Aerospace forces have always been only slightly more homogeneous than ground forces in the lore.  You'd almost never see full squadrons of 6 identical airframes going all the way back to the AT1 days. Squadrons of 2 of one and 4 of another have always been pretty common, though.

Whereas it's true that ASFs are more likely to be unsalveagable after being killed than ground forces, there is still a good bit of chassis exchange across House borders.  I'm sure at least some of it is salvage... or perhaps "salvage" is represented by capture of ASFs caught on the ground.

Terrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 05 December 2017, 22:16:22 »
Aerospace forces have always been only slightly more homogeneous than ground forces in the lore.  You'd almost never see full squadrons of 6 identical airframes going all the way back to the AT1 days. Squadrons of 2 of one and 4 of another have always been pretty common, though.

Whereas it's true that ASFs are more likely to be unsalveagable after being killed than ground forces, there is still a good bit of chassis exchange across House borders.  I'm sure at least some of it is salvage... or perhaps "salvage" is represented by capture of ASFs caught on the ground.

The bolded is more in line with my own assumptions. You'd be more likely to spot these captured (and likely refit) Fighters in lower-priority units that need something to fly, but would happily dump them at the first opportunity for their own birds.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #3 on: 06 December 2017, 18:47:46 »
It depends on what era, but I can see more standardizations where Houses share a plant, either captured from parts stockpiles or outright production lines.

Just add in their own variants / parts.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 06 December 2017, 19:13:46 »
I don't see why not. Even real life militaries have squadrons composed of different aircraft. Moreso if the unit has actually been in combat and suffered losses.

Mismatched squadrons will happen despite best efforts, and yes moreso in merc units - you'll see that effect yourself if you play in that kind of game campaign. House militaries in the post-Helm era should be able to ensure at least flights are homogenous... but then again as upgrades roll in, they might not be of the same variant. Again, this also happens IRL.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #5 on: 06 December 2017, 22:05:31 »
I wonder if mixed but same speed, Air Lances would be more common? Or should that be same frame, different guns?

TT

Tai PM sent...
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Terrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 08 December 2017, 00:46:46 »
I don't see why not. Even real life militaries have squadrons composed of different aircraft. Moreso if the unit has actually been in combat and suffered losses.

Mismatched squadrons will happen despite best efforts, and yes moreso in merc units - you'll see that effect yourself if you play in that kind of game campaign. House militaries in the post-Helm era should be able to ensure at least flights are homogenous... but then again as upgrades roll in, they might not be of the same variant. Again, this also happens IRL.

Building on this, the Helm Core would make supply easier due to providing the info needed to fix up the factories to improve production rates. As for the old variants they'd gladly get rid of, there's always mercenaries who'd be glad to take that junk off their hands...

As for how frames spread, I favor the trickle-down theory. High-priority unit is told that they're getting a shipment in of new, upgraded fighters to replace their current birds. The pilots transfer over, and the suddenly vacant lower-tech birds are sent to lower-priority units that have holes in their formations. Any excess is then sold to mercenaries on-contract who have need of fighters.

I favor the same theory in regards to how most mercenary units acquire BattleMechs. High-priority House units get new, shiny equipment that has the latest tech as factory standard, the old stuff they don't need anymore is sent down the chain, the lower-priority units take that excess equipment to upgrade themselves and send their old stuff onward, terminating with mercenaries and local militia.

Incidentally, this is why, if I'm making a post-Blackout mercenary unit that has a stable contract with a Great House, they get mostly Jihad-Early Republic stuff the House units have been getting rid of as they upgrade. And considering the eras in question, there'd be a lot of surplus equipment. But that would mostly be to give players something resembling a fair fight without having to take Clan Invasion-era (or worse, Succession Wars!) equipment up against Dark Age units loaded up with shiny tech.