Author Topic: How do I get into BattleTech?  (Read 4061 times)

K Peterson

• Recruit
How do I get into BattleTech?
« on: 08 December 2017, 13:36:06 »
I'm pretty much new to Battletech. Many, many years ago I played MechWarrior 2 on PC, but that's my only real exposure to the franchise.

I was lured to this forum because of an article on Polygon.com (https://www.polygon.com/features/2017/11/29/16709142/battletech-mechwarrior-weisman-babcock-bills), and it made me curious. How does a new player get into playing BattleTech (specifically the boardgame/wargame side of things)? Is there a starter boxed set to purchase, or some other kind of introductory product? Is there a rulebook to purchase? What's the best way to get into this game?

I already enjoy painting and modelling miniatures. And I'm looking forward to doing that with some giant war machines.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
Re: How do I get into BattleTech?
« Reply #1 on: 08 December 2017, 13:49:21 »
At this moment, there is no physical starter box. But, there is two products of that nature in the pipeline...
The first is a beginners box that will contain basic rules, two plastic Mechs, and other assorted stuff.
The second is called Game of Armored Combat (GoAC) that will have eight Mechs, Rules, Maps, and stuff.
These should be out sometime in 2018.

The best way right now is look into getting the Battlemech Manual and TRO:Succession Wars. those two books will get you familiar enough with the rules and a good majority of Mechs in the early ears of BT lore. You can also purchase minis from Iron Wind Metals.

And welcome to the madhouse Forums...

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #2 on: 08 December 2017, 13:49:34 »
Step 1: Click your heels three times...

Nah, welcome to the forums and to the hobby!

The starter box is currently out of print (you can find them on ebay and such, but they're pretty expensive). HOWEVER, we found out just in the past couple of days that preliminary work on the new starter set is done and we should be seeing them in stores sometime in the near-ish future, so I suspect when that time draws near you'll be able to tell from the hornet-nest buzzing around here.  ;)

In the meantime, the official full rules (the box set has starter rules) is Total Warfare. Paper copies are, again, easy to find on assorted web stores and such, and sites like drivethruRPG have the PDF as well, I'm pretty sure (I'm posting from a phone, so it's hard to check). I personally prefer PDFs thanks to the ability to search by keyword, as well as the ability to store them on a tablet to bring to games rather than a back-wrenching backpack full of rulebooks, but a lot of people prefer paper, of course.

For miniatures, the official maker is Iron Wind Metals (www.ironwindmetals.com), very nice people who make very nice figures. Catalyst also makes four-Mech sets in high-quality plastic.

And of course, any questions you have that we can help with, there's no shortage of helpful, friendly, mentally-competent folks here on the forums happy to assist as well.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 08 December 2017, 13:51:27 »
Barring waiting, there's a couple free PDFs for new players available at http://bg.battletech.com/new-to-the-board-game/ including Quick Start PDFs for BattleTech, Alpha Strike and A Time of War.  There's also a free universe primer introduction to the background universe of BattleTech.

Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

K Peterson

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 08 December 2017, 14:02:13 »
The best way right now is look into getting the Battlemech Manual and TRO:Succession Wars. those two books will get you familiar enough with the rules and a good majority of Mechs in the early ears of BT lore.

In the meantime, the official full rules (the box set has starter rules) is Total Warfare.

What is the difference between the Battlemech Manual and Total Warfare?

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 08 December 2017, 14:07:40 »
What is the difference between the Battlemech Manual and Total Warfare?

BattleMech Manual just covers the game rules as they apply to 'Mechs.

Total Warfare has rules for almost everything that doesn't fly in space, and many things that do.  Tactical Operations/Strategic Operations/Interstellar Operations/Campaign Operations (TO/SO/IO/CO in forumspeak) cover everything else from optional rules to WMDs to playing entire House Armies vs House Armies.  Giving the reason for the unofficial BattleTech tagline of "There's a rule for that."

EDIT:  Not that you've expressed any interest in Alpha Strike.. but I'm going to recommend taking a look at it as well out of an assumption you simply have never heard of it.  It's a separate rules engine from TW and the "Operations" series of books, although it is compatible with them.  Alpha Strike is designed to let you play games with larger numbers of 'Mechs involved than the "classic" board game does.  I prefer it, and it's tons easier to learn if you're starting from scratch.
« Last Edit: 08 December 2017, 14:11:54 by Tai Dai Cultist »

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #6 on: 08 December 2017, 14:32:22 »
What he said. Basically, the Manual is a how-to guide for running Battlemechs, and Total Warfare expands that to being able to run tanks, infantry (armored and not), helicopters, fighter jets, whatever else you might see on a battlefield in-general.

Another handy book EVENTUALLY is Tactical Operations (TacOps for short), which contain expanded and optional rules for anything Total Warfare didn't cover. Artillery, advanced weaponry, planetary conditions like extreme temperatures, gravity, etc., it's a remarkably handy and fun book- but you'll want to learn the main rules before adding that stuff in.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #7 on: 08 December 2017, 15:42:35 »
Welcome to the forum!  I'm surprised no one else has mentioned Tech Manual yet... that has most of the rules for designing your own 'mechs/tanks/etc (large space craft are in Strat Ops).

Also, the "prove you're human" stuff goes away after 10 posts here...

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #8 on: 08 December 2017, 20:46:46 »
Yeah but tech manual is out of print, and honestly you can find designers pretty easily, like megameklab, that do the heavy lifting for you.
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #9 on: 08 December 2017, 20:57:52 »
But it is available as a pdf, just like all the other rule books so far mentioned.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 08 December 2017, 21:14:23 »
What he said. Basically, the Manual is a how-to guide for running Battlemechs, and Total Warfare expands that to being able to run tanks, infantry (armored and not), helicopters, fighter jets, whatever else you might see on a battlefield in-general.

Another handy book EVENTUALLY is Tactical Operations (TacOps for short), which contain expanded and optional rules for anything Total Warfare didn't cover. Artillery, advanced weaponry, planetary conditions like extreme temperatures, gravity, etc., it's a remarkably handy and fun book- but you'll want to learn the main rules before adding that stuff in.
I'd like to point out that BattleMech Manual is basically a subset of Total Warfare and TacOps, it only includes the things in those volumes that apply to 'Mechs and doesn't include construction rules and I think artillery. It also doesn't include rules for Land-Air 'Mechs, much to the disappointment of some (Land-Air 'Mechs, or LAMs for sort) are 'Mechs that can/could turn into fighters, needless to say including them would require including rules for fighters.

I don't have it myself but I've got a feeling it includes basic building, as those are also terrain to a certain point.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #11 on: 09 December 2017, 00:24:40 »
Welcome aboard and welcome to the forums!  Battletech is fun in all its forms, but I would agree with Tai Dai Cultist that Alpha Strike is a good place to start.  Things are kept simple to start and then you can expand from there as much as you want.

And if you're painting minis, be sure to post them up in the miniatures section.  We all love seeing painted up stompy robots... 8)
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #12 on: 09 December 2017, 00:48:16 »
right now, the easiest way to get into the game is to grab a PDF of Total Warfare, and then one or more boxes of the Alpha Strike Lance packs

i recommend the PDF of total warfare because it is not only cheaper than the physical books, but you are guaranteed to receive the most recent version, while the physical printings might well be lacking some important errata. (especially if they are an early printing)

the Alpha Strike Lance packs have 4 mechs each, in plastic, and at around $15 each, are the cheapest way to get a decent number of mechs fast.

another option you may want to consider is the Alpha Strike Ruleset. this is a quicker play ruleset. not as detailed, but easier and faster to learn and play. getting started with it requires you to obtain the Alpha strike rulebook (again, a PDF is recommended, since there have been a few major rules fixes since the last printing), and then 3-4 Lance packs or a number of metal figures from IWM to build up your force.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 09 December 2017, 06:28:04 »
Barring waiting, there's a couple free PDFs for new players available at http://bg.battletech.com/new-to-the-board-game/ including Quick Start PDFs for BattleTech, Alpha Strike and A Time of War.  There's also a free universe primer introduction to the background universe of BattleTech.
The BattleTech Quickstart Rules as indicated by nckestrel's link above are what I strongly recommend.
Completely free and quite comprehensive to get new players off the ground. In a way, it's the content of the original Battledroids/BattleTech boxed sets, fully digitized and for free.

Beyond that, I think I'd recommend the BattleMech Manual. It's a comprehensive ruleset with a good focus. The Total Warfare et al series is the complete package, but I don't think a new player needs or even wants rules for submersible mobile strucures, WiGEs, or ICE-powered quad IndustrialMechs with wrecking balls.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 09 December 2017, 08:11:17 »
Note on PDFs and printed. The PDF is not (usually) updated any more often than a new printing. The Alpha Strike PDF matches the 2nd printing. The PDF does get free updates versus a printed having to buy the new printing. But generally the PDF and most recent printing are the same thing.
There have been a few exceptions (Tech Manual).
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #15 on: 12 December 2017, 01:44:22 »
There is also unofficial, rules compliant computer game, you can play a few times against the bot to get a hang of rules and flow of turns.
Shoot first, laugh later.

jackpot4

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #16 on: 11 January 2018, 01:36:32 »
I posted this in another thread, it might be of use to you!

Welcome to Battletech!  This universe is massive and full of awesome fiction, designs, books, minis, and more!

To get started typically the Intro box set is your best bet but, that is Out of production and the new one isn't due until roughly 2nd quarter 2018 from what I've heard.  Even if you get everything by then, like many of us, you might just be the intro box set at that time anyway for the minis. 

Every player typically winds up with at least these basics:  Minis, The base rulebook, hexboards/mats, and a record sheet program.

To start you will do best with Total Warfare, you are looking for the CGL copy as that will find you one of the most recent editions.  It'll be in green print on the cover.  This book includes all your basic mech rules and sets you up in the future IF you want to add armor, infantry, VTOLs, etc. to your game.  A book has been/will be released called Battlemech manual that supposedly has all the Mech specific rules and that is it.  You will have to compare prices and info vs value for yourself.

Next up are the actual minis.  Ironwind Metals is the place to go for pewter minis.  They look fantastic with minimal shaving of mold lines and sprues.  Remember, Battlemechs are a representation of a mech controlling a hex, they are not all to scale, even though many are pretty close.  Don't forget to get hex bases for your pewter minis!  I would recommend using Loktite gel superglue (gray or black and blue squeeze bottle at any big store).  You want to cut them all out, shave any excess pewter, score the joints with a utility knife, wash them with soap and warm water (removes mold release), then add a primer and paint.  The next cool option is CGL's Lance packs.  You get a full lance in each one and each one has at least 2 mechs that were in the out of production intro box.  It's roughly 10 bucks for 4 plastic minis and they look pretty good. 

This may be the most difficult to decide on.  What to play on.  You can find hexboards for sale on ebay and sometimes you will even find the mountains and canyons or cities and roads hexpacks for sale online.  (The lakes and rivers is a unicorn find, I barely have the one i found).  There are multiple sellers of hexmats you can unroll.  As for terrain, hexpack terrain cutouts are fantastic but if you like 3D better, there are a few people that have good 3D terrain for sale, you can check out Battletech International on Facebook and find them a lot. 

Finally, for a record sheet program, I highly recommend Solaris Skunk Werks.  You will need java to run it.  It already has most designs through 3085 and everything to build most mechs up to the current year in 3150.  There is also a vehicle builder through them, soalris armor werks.

I am not sure how caught up you are to the fiction but the current year is 3150 starting from way back before the year 3000.  There is a lot of cool stuff you can use in the current era that can play just as well with mechs from before the clan invasion in 3050.  I would recommend looking at some cool mechs like the Gunsmith, Lament, Prefect, Malice from the current era.  (There are minis for these 4). 

You have a mountain of fiction you can read through as well.  There are Mechwarrior, Battletech, and Mechwarrior: Dark Age novel series.  Sourcebooks about factions and eras.  Technical readouts (TROs) for every decade nearly.  Sarna.net is the wiki of Battletech as well.  If you have never played through a game I have a video series on Facebook called How to Play Battletech that breaks down the basics of using mechs, imperfect, but the only ones in detail like that.

If you have more questions, ask away!
Truth is treason in an empire of lies.

Be the Light in the darkness.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 11 January 2018, 02:45:40 »
There is also unofficial, rules compliant computer game, you can play a few times against the bot to get a hang of rules and flow of turns.

I would call it a simulator or perhaps... Best way to play double blind on TT (tabletop).

Cheapest way to get into BattleTech for now is the Lance Packs (Amazon has all 8 iirc) and PDFs of the core rule books. For print copies.. until the new print run is finished (no street date from CGL yet) most of the books except the new BattleMech Manual may be hard to come by.

MegaMek is a tabletop simulator for the most part
MegaMekLab handles unit construction (Infantry, Vehicles, Mechs, Aerospace, Dropships)
MekHQ is a campaign system for use with the mercenary books (Campaign Operations and the older Field Manual Mercenaries) use by many(?) to keep track of tabletop campaigns (or for MM)

There are other design software packages out there such as HeavyMetal PRO (not free) but none of them are current, and are really outdated.

Pooman

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 11 January 2018, 05:10:21 »
Do you live in Western Australia? If not, move here as soon as possible. I will give you all the help you need. Happy to host games and provide all the necessary materials. The wife also cooks a mean samosa.

Seriously...
PM me if you live in Perth Western Australia and are after a game. Please!

Register