Author Topic: Specialty Ammunition's - How to calculate AP/BD for Explosive Bolts?  (Read 1603 times)

kronovan

• Corporal
Yes, as weird as it sounds I have a scenario where some threats/adversaries will be armed with crossbows and explosive bolts. I'm confused though, as to how I create an explosive bolt/arrow with the listed AP/BD modifier of -1X/+1S.  Arrows/bolts have a default AP/BD of 3B/3, so I'm wondering how that -1X gets factored in? Do I just start with an eXplosive that's equivalent to the Ballistic and then subtract the 1 from 3 to arrive at an AP of  2X, or do I do something else? As well, is the +1S added to an eXplosive equivalent of the Ballistic giving me a final BD of 4S?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: 21 December 2017, 16:10:12 by kronovan »

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Re: Specialty Ammunition's - How to calculate AP/BD for Explosive Bolts?
« Reply #1 on: 21 December 2017, 23:19:00 »
You've pretty much got it.

-1X does mean drop the AP by one and the damage type changes to eXplosive.  Which can be very important as not all armors protect equally against each damage type and some are better at protecting against particular damage types than others.  +1S likewise does mean increase the BD and it is now a Splash damage effect.  How this changes things depends on what rules you use as there are two different ways to handle this in A Time of War and I know I cover one of them in my example thread(should be a link to it in my signature).

kronovan

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 22 December 2017, 00:35:02 »
Many thanks for the reply. I thought that was the way it was done, but could only find examples in AToW for when the AP & BP for the same damage type were being modified.

I'll definitely check out you examples.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #3 on: 22 December 2017, 03:24:31 »
No problem.

A Time of War is a system that does take some getting used to and does have it's flaws but I think that can be said for most systems.