Poll

Who, if anyone, should pull double duty?

Only Vehicle Crews
5 (7.9%)
MechWarriors & Vehicle Crews, Excluding Officers
3 (4.8%)
MechWarriors & Vehicle Crews, Including Officers (for admin)
12 (19%)
Everyone
34 (54%)
No One
3 (4.8%)
Other, Please Explain
6 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author Topic: Pulling Double Duty  (Read 3157 times)

Nebfer

• Lieutenant
Re: Pulling Double Duty
« Reply #30 on: 03 January 2018, 02:59:48 »
Given that most house combat units have a dedicated tech and most units likely having a pool of astechs, perhaps full dedicated teams at times. I would feel that by in large most mechwarriors/vehicle crews generally do not do much in the way of actual maintenance, though may supervise and or inspect, perhaps performing some of the basic maintenance dutys.

Though given the wide range of general personnel available to Mercs having crews pulling more of the Maintenance duty's would be more likely.

Dark Jackal

• Corporal
« Reply #31 on: 05 January 2018, 12:19:43 »
Probably everyone should pull double duty at some point especially if it does not require special knowledge/training to work on a machine. It's easier with more crew you have to spread the tasks out with vehicles but much harder once you get to 'Mechs which require special knowledge/training. For the sole MW, he gets the inglorious job of trying to fix his mech on the battlefield and RNG gods working against him. If the MW manages to survive and get his machine back to the DS then we can do rolls with the MechTech who has this knowledge/training and hopefully experience to win those rolls.

There are no hard rules on who is in charge of what in a vehicle but normally the driver is the actual mechanic and second senior member next to the crew commander.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #32 on: 05 January 2018, 16:21:54 »
Depends on the vehicle, but usually the driver is the FNG and yes is the mechanic- because they are in training.  Drivers move up into the gunner position for vehicles that have such a weapon.

For my section & its APC . . . yeah, I was senior and the driver.  Because I am a bit controlling and I did not want to sit in the dark in the back of the armored box.  But the FNGs who would have been the normal driver still did a lot of the regular PMCS in garrison and in the field if they had not been tapped for other duties, the long time members observed and helped under the FNG's direction so they would learn what to do & how to do it.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Dark Jackal

• Corporal
« Reply #33 on: 05 January 2018, 19:57:47 »
Well even the most experienced MechTech or Vehicle Crewman can roll snake eyes failing to properly unload autocannon or missile ammo and cause an ammo explosion taking out half the drop ship. Or, a rookie Tech replaces a Gyro by a magic 12 roll.

BT does have those D20 moments.

[blank]

Register