Author Topic: Tell me about Morgan Fletcher of Star's End  (Read 3614 times)

Cavgunner

• Master Sergeant
Tell me about Morgan Fletcher of Star's End
« on: 15 January 2018, 11:47:21 »
There appears to be very little information available about this person.  When did he/she come to power?  What is his/her background?  The only information at Sarna.net appears to indicate that Fletcher had a brief power-sharing agreement with Susie Morgraine-Ryan over the Star's End pirates, but other than that... nothing.

Help?
« Last Edit: 15 January 2018, 14:46:05 by Cavgunner »

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Re: Tell me about Morgan Fletcher of Star's End
« Reply #1 on: 15 January 2018, 14:43:59 »
Sadly the Periphery- and by that I mean the smaller groups out there, not the larger nations like the Marians and Taurians- didn't get a great deal of ink. There's sections in the Periphery sourcebooks, Field Manual: Periphery, and Field Manual: Updates, and some get small mentions here and there in other books. The Field Manuals are probably the best bet in that regard.

I seem to recall Susie as being the antagonist in the Mechwarrior 3 expansion Pirate's Moon, but it's been so long since I played that one that I'm not totally sure anymore.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

JadedFalcon

• Lieutenant
  • Wins at Battleteching
« Reply #2 on: 15 January 2018, 20:53:38 »
There was a comic book about Fletcher. I assume that's where the character really came from.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Fallout_(Comic_series)

Individual issues used to pop-up on eBay from time to time. I've never read it, or seen the comics in person.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #3 on: 15 January 2018, 21:22:40 »
There was a comic book about Fletcher. I assume that's where the character really came from.

Individual issues used to pop-up on eBay from time to time. I've never read it, or seen the comics in person.

Reading the synopsis it almost sounds like it was intended as an offshoot of the Somerset Strikers storyline.

And it has some of the same wackiness. The mech selection they mention is crazy. I'm gonna headcannon it as a spinoff of the childrens program for a more "mature" crowd who sold product placement rights to mech manufacturers.

The Morgan Fletcher name dates back to the first periphery sourcebook. It was canonically established that her daughter was in power on Stars End during the clan invasion in the second periphery sourcebook (1996, she's referred to as Morgan Fletcher II).

Since Fallout was released in 1994-95, it's possible that this is where the idea of Morgan Fletcher the second came from. She's just referred to as Morgan Fletcher, but her age and description suggests she's not the same person (headcannon: Maybe it's a casting choice. :P). The description of the Belt Pirates capturing clan battlemechs intact might be a nod to the comics, and I wonder if the mention of "wild rumors of them capturing a Ghost Bear Warship" were a nod towards an unpublished story. 
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 15 January 2018, 21:30:51 »
Comes from an old family, originally part of Minnesota, but not the Minnesota Tribe per say. 

https://www.lordfletchers.com/

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #5 on: 15 January 2018, 22:18:00 »
That Ghost Bear Warship was most likely a CGB Comitatus.

So there.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #6 on: 16 January 2018, 03:43:20 »

Said comic is in the "hahahahaaaa no" level of apocryphal, so I wouldn't use it as a reference for anything.

(It's also amazing how much the artwork on it sucks, given that the artist was a good one who was great with mechs)
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Cavgunner

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 16 January 2018, 20:21:15 »
Thanks for all the responses.  Yikes... I guess this is a great example of, "Be careful what you wish for."  I can't unsee these mag covers now.  Every single one looks like Rocky IV and a Cyndi Lauper video had an illegitimate baby.

Well... due diligence completed.  Guess my campaign will just go its own way as far as Morgan Fletcher is concerned (the ORIGINAL Morgan Fletcher, not the one shown here in the comics, who is apparently her daughter).
« Last Edit: 16 January 2018, 20:24:09 by Cavgunner »

anastrace

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 17 January 2018, 11:42:21 »
Oh man, that synopsis and art...just wow. I also love on the first cover it mentions "based on the hit animated series". I imagine if it was in universe it would be a spinoff of that poorly reviewed holovid series. :)

I always wanted more periphery data myself, as there are some really fun little states out there. Maybe in the future we'll see more.
Missiles, how do they work? (Seriously, guided bottle rockets?)

Register