Author Topic: Miniatures Assembly Guides  (Read 48049 times)

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
Miniatures Assembly Guides
« on: 28 January 2011, 11:08:13 »
On BriansCache.com I have assembly guides for specific miniatures plus general assembly tips with plenty of pictures for everything.  You will be able to use these techniques to build nearly any BattleMech miniature out there.

Brian's Cache Assembly Guide Index

General Tips
Tools of the Trade
Antenna
Custom Bases (Super Sculpey)

Assembly Guides
20-994 MAD-5L Marauder
20-264 MAD-5R and 9S Marauder
20-993 TDR-9M Thunderbolt
20-987 and 20-261 LCT-5M and 5V Locust
20-980 SGT-8R Sagittaire
20-211 ARC-8M Archer
20-229 BLF-21 Blue Flame
20-230 WHF-3B White Flame
20-988 PXH-4L Phoenix Hawk
20-636 BSN-3K Bishamon
20-600RE Vulture (resculpt)
20-603RE Mad Cat (resculpt)
20-605RE Masakari (resculpt)
20-607RE Daishi (resculpt)

These are older, less detailed guides that I created before starting the assembly section of my website...
Warhammer
Goliath
Solitaire
Scorpion

txcboy36

• Recruit
Re: Miniatures Assembly Guides
« Reply #1 on: 18 March 2011, 22:52:40 »
On BriansCache.com I have assembly guides for specific miniatures plus general assembly tips with plenty of pictures for everything.  You will be able to use these techniques to build nearly any BattleMech miniature out there.

Brian's Cache Assembly Guide Index

General Tips
Tools of the Trade
Antenna
Custom Bases (Super Sculpey)

Assembly Guides
20-994 MAD-5L Marauder
20-264 MAD-5R and 9S Marauder
20-993 TDR-9M Thunderbolt
20-987 and 20-261 LCT-5M and 5V Locust
20-980 SGT-8R Sagittaire
20-211 ARC-8M Archer
20-229 BLF-21 Blue Flame
20-230 WHF-3B White Flame
20-988 PXH-4L Phoenix Hawk
20-636 BSN-3K Bishamon
20-600RE Vulture (resculpt)
20-603RE Mad Cat (resculpt)
20-605RE Masakari (resculpt)
20-607RE Daishi (resculpt)

These are older, less detailed guides that I created before starting the assembly section of my website...
Warhammer
Goliath
Solitaire
Scorpion
[notworthy]

Excellent GUIDE!!!!
War is not about dying for your country, its about making that other idiot DIE for his!!!

pintotheevil

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 24 April 2011, 13:09:33 »
The best thing I learned was the use of Clay/puddy to hold parts together.  put together several mini's that would have been a pain in the butt if I didn't learn this technique. (wish I learned it before I put together my archer [madflame] ) ah well... good excuse to buy another... that will make IWM happy ;D

Khan Jade Wolf

• Master Sergeant
  • Ut faciem venti bellum
« Reply #3 on: 24 June 2011, 00:53:54 »
I was given a Behemoth for my birthday! Still not compleat!
Semper paratus !
Praesto Novastar defendere!

Siberian-troll

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 19 November 2011, 23:12:42 »
Can you delete this message, please?
« Last Edit: 20 November 2011, 03:54:17 by Siberian-troll »

Shichiro

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 25 November 2011, 06:56:45 »
Great work Cache!!

Thanks

Narann

• Corporal
  • French player
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: 18 March 2013, 18:48:00 »
Arf! When I go on your site: http://brianscache.com/builds
I've got this:
Code: [Select]
404 Not Found

The server can not find the requested page:

brianscache.com/builds (port 80)
If the site never came back, there is a "archived" version: http://web.archive.org/web/20120126134240/http://brianscache.com/builds

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #7 on: 18 March 2013, 20:43:22 »
Arf! When I go on your site: http://brianscache.com/builds
I've got this:
Code: [Select]
404 Not Found

The server can not find the requested page:

brianscache.com/builds (port 80)
If the site never came back, there is a "archived" version: http://web.archive.org/web/20120126134240/http://brianscache.com/builds

My host changed servers.  It'll be back up soon.

Narann

• Corporal
  • French player
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: 18 March 2013, 20:55:39 »
Cool! I was afraid your wonderful site was down forever. :D

MiniaturesAssemble

• Recruit
    • Miniatures Assemble!
« Reply #9 on: 28 September 2016, 08:05:27 »
Hi everyone!

I've bought a lot of mech models the past few months, some from a Facebook trade group, others from ebay, amazon, and IWM directly. I also stripped the paint off of a lot of my mechs and some of them fell apart in the SuperClean (purple stuff) bath.

Since I had to reassemble these anyways, I figured, why not record it and have a record for people to refer back to? There's a lot of times that mistakes can be made (I reversed the missile racks on a Longbow, and on a Catapult), and times where you just don't know where to begin, and times when even a thousand pictures can't tell you what way to glue it.

So I've created the channel Miniatures Assemble! up on youtube and will be posting videos every week (Friday) with how to assemble some of these models. The short term goal of the channel is to have it self-sustaining (meaning I buy a model every week, assemble it, and post the video for everyone), maybe even have IWM put a section on their site for assembly videos (here's hoping!).
While created primarily for Battletech (my first love), I am open to other games as well (I have some Rifts miniatures that I CERTAINLY will need to figure out and get assembly videos), but for now will stick with Battletech, as I have about 6 months worth of content mostly recorded, including an unseen series, and the WoB packs.
Let me know your thoughts and comments, if you have any mechs you would like to see, let me know (if I have recorded them I'll put them ahead of the schedule, otherwise I will buy new ones when cash flow allows).

Miniatures Assemble! youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2bUXqI_zzDFDJv0-So5Szg

Thanks guys!

Ft_Hood

• Recruit
« Reply #10 on: 04 December 2020, 01:32:50 »
Where can I get some black plastic bases? I have some of the standard Iron Wind metal bases, but my Daishi Mech's feet are too wide to fit inside the base. Looking for some suggestions on other suppliers, thanks

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2021, 15:00:28 »
Where can I get some black plastic bases? I have some of the standard Iron Wind metal bases, but my Daishi Mech's feet are too wide to fit inside the base. Looking for some suggestions on other suppliers, thanks

Ironwind sells some larger bases with flat tops to accommodate different model sizes. They aren't cheap, but they are quite nice. You can also find flat wood and plastic bases from Litko designs if you search about. (For reference, the hexagons printed on official CGL maps are about 35mm from flat-to-flat. I would recommend avoiding anything much bigger than that unless you really need it, as they tend to interfere with game play.

If you're open to square or round bases (rather than hexagonal) your options expand dramatically.
« Last Edit: 26 May 2021, 15:08:07 by klarg1 »

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 26 May 2021, 16:16:53 »
I sometimes fill the center of the lipped hex bases with putty and use the mech's feet to leave an imprint as a solid attachment point.

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2021, 17:35:56 »
I use flat sprue segments to build up platforms where the feet will go until they're high enough, then pin the feet into the platforms.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 26 May 2021, 17:42:55 »
I do that too!

I use flat sprue segments to build up platforms where the feet will go until they're high enough, then pin the feet into the platforms.

dirty harry

• Lieutenant
  • Make my day
« Reply #15 on: 27 May 2021, 04:30:32 »
I cut my own filled hexes out of a board of 3mm thick plasticard. The material i use can be cutted with a simple cutter and doing the necessary geometry is not higher math. Thus i can create bases for oversized mechs as well as standard designs.

Known Glitch

• Warrant Officer
  • Why haven't we fixed this yet?
« Reply #16 on: 29 January 2022, 09:31:24 »
Thanks for keeping these available Cache.  Your Marauder-5L guide is really going to come in handy later today  :thumbsup: