Author Topic: UD-4L "Cheyenne" - the Aliens "dropship"  (Read 19690 times)

Fireangel

• Major
  • 7397 posts right down the toilet...
UD-4L "Cheyenne" - the Aliens "dropship"
« on: 22 August 2011, 17:15:18 »
UD-4L "Cheyenne" - the Aliens "dropship"

A forum crash or two ago there was a discussion about the UD-4L "Cheyenne" Dropship from the second movie in the Aliens franchise and how it could be adapted to BattleTech.

During the discussion I introduced the version presented herein, using the construction rules for Aerospace Fighters. Why ASF and not an actual, you know, ''dropship''?

Glad you asked.

The first thing we have to do is look at the capabilities of the "Udie" in the film and from canon Aliens sources and compare these to BattleTech unit types.

We know that the Udie has a crew of two and packs a LOT of missiles. It is capable of trans-atmospheric performance and can carry a vehicle in a bay that permits fast deployment. The Udie is also capable of flying "low & slow" and can take off and land vertically. We can see this on-screen. Official sources state that the Udie weighs in at a featherweight 34,640kg fully loaded, yes; a 35-ton unit.

In BT terms, the design is clearly an aerodyne. The trans-atmospheric capability rules out conventional fighters or fixed-wing support vehicles. The "low & slow" flight profile and VTOL (what BT terms "VSTOL") capability rules out aerodyne dropships (which would be too big and expensive to be considered for the role. While an aerodyne small craft might be considered, too many features make small craft undesirable for the role; lack of VSTOL, crew of four and incapability of "low & slow" flight profile (I'll get to this in a bit). This leaves us with the ASF; it has a crew of 1 (can be fluffed to 2), is VSTOL capable and can fly "low & slow", meaning that it can make use of special maneuvers available only to ASF/conventional fighters and could conceivably fly slow enough to use ground-scale movement (in a very limited manner; basically hover over a board to bring its firepower to bear against ground targets).

So it's an ASF, now what? How do we build it? The single most defining characteristic of the Udie is its ability to carry an APC and quickly deploy it in battle. The M577 APC is a lightweight 14,500 kg, so it's really little more (less, actually) than a standard 10-ton wheeled APC (heck, I wouldn't be surprised if the M577 inspired the 10-ton wheeled APC art!) with a top speed (according to official sources) of 150kph, matching well with a 9/14 or 10/15 MP profile; basically, a light vehicle. The fast deployment seen on-screen (Udie lands, opens the ramp, APC drives off and the Udie takes off again in less than ten seconds) requires a light vehicle bay, so that's 50 tons right there. Obviously, a 35-ton frame will not do.

For simplicity's sake, let's go with a 100-ton frame.

Now the armament. Look at the thing: it's bristling with missiles! (in those cool deployable box wings!), but read the official stats; one-shots. We can do better than that:

Official armament list, approximated in TM/TO:

1 x 25 mm gatling gun with 900 rounds  - MG with 1/2 ton of ammo (remember, they list individual rounds while CBT lists "shots")
32 x 150 mm unguided rockets - 4 RL-20's
12 x 70 mm unguided rockets - 2 RL-10's
8 x 120 mm guided rockets - 2 SRM-4 launchers
7 x AGM-220 air-to-ground missiles - Thunderbolt-5 launcher (or LRM-5 launcher)
3 x TSAM threat suppression missiles - alternate ammo bin for TB/LRM-5
3 x AIM-90 short range air-to-air missiles - alternate ammo bin for TB/LRM-5

As an ASF it can also carry external ordnance, though not much can be carried without compromising its capability of returning to the orbiting ship.

What we don't need:

Infantry bay - the infantry boards the APC on the mothership, the APC then gets loaded onto the Udie, with the troops riding inside the APC all the way down.

Escape pods - two crew; IF there is an escape system, the standard cockpit ejection should suffice; APC and PBI are SOL.

Transit drive - orbit-to-surface and surface-to-orbit does not require advanced small craft engines.

So let's take a look at what we've got:

AeroTech 2 Vessel Technical Readout
                                  Freehand

Class/Model/Name:  UD4L Colonial Marines Dropship
Tech:              Aliens
Vessel Type:       Aerospace Fighter
Rules:             Level 1, Standard design
Rules Set:         AeroTech2

Mass:              100 tons
Frame:             UD4
Power Plant:       TF-900 200-rated Fusion "Turbine"
Safe Thrust:       4
Maximum Thrust:    6
Armor Type:        Standard
Armament:         
    1 MG
    4 RL-20's
    2 RL-10's
    2 SRM-4
    1 Thunderbolt-5
Manufacturer:   Republic Dynamics
Communications System:  WTWGA-6
Targeting & Tracking System:  69-4U2
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Class/Model/Name:  UD4L
Equipment:                                                              Mass
Power Plant:  200 Fusion                                                 8.50
Thrust:  Safe Thrust: 4
      Maximum Thrust: 6
Structural Integrity: 10                                                 0.00
Total Heat Sinks:    12 Single                                           2.00
Fuel:                                                                    5.00
Cockpit & Attitude Thrusters:                                            3.00
Armor Type:  Standard         (184 total armor pts)                     11.50
                           Standard Scale Armor Pts
   Nose:                                  46
   Left/Right Wings:                    46/46
   Aft:                                   46

Weapons and Equipment      Loc        SRV    MRV    LRV    ERV  Heat    Mass
1 MG                       Nose         2     --     --     --    0      0.50
  100 rd. ammo                                                           0.50
1 Thunderbolt-5            Nose         5      5      5     --    3      3.00
  36 rd. ammo                                                            3.00
1 RL-10                    RW           6      6     --     --    3      0.50
1 RL-20                    RW          12     12     --     --    5      1.50
1 RL-20                    RW          12     12     --     --    5      1.50
1 SRM-4                    RW           4     --     --     --    3      2.00
  25 rd. ammo                                                            1.00
1 RL-10                    LW           6      6     --     --    3      0.50
1 RL-20                    LW          12     12     --     --    5      1.50
1 RL-20                    LW          12     12     --     --    5      1.50
1 SRM-4                    LW           4     --     --     --    3      2.00
  25 rd. ammo                                                            1.00
1 Light Vehicle Bay        body                                         50.00
TOTALS:                                                    Heat: 25    100.00
Tons Left:                                                                .00

Calculated Factors:
N/A

What good is it in BT? Well, the capability of carrying and quickly deploying a 50-ton light tank/APC into battle, directly from orbit, sounds good to me. It is not a dogfighter, so speed is not essential to its transport mission. It can stick around to provide some support to its dismounted units or take off again to stand by for a quick extraction or return to base for another unit pickup.

Who could field something like this? I see this more as a merc/corporate forces transport, since it requires tactics uncommon among IS militaries.

Among the clans, we can use the basic concept of the Udie and come up with something truly scary; a dedicated Protomech or BA Transport; instead of a single 50-ton light vehicle bay, we can put in a 50-ton five-proto bay OR a five-point Elemental bay. The reduced weight of clan missile systems can allow for ''real'' weapons to be used (if you want to keep the original flavor) OR other weapon systems might be used instead (like pulse or ER lasers). Conceptually the craft could be visualized as a Star Wars LAAT "gunship"; an effective means of getting small numbers of combat troops on the ground FAST.

I can easily see the Blood Spirits using such a unit to deliver protos in the defense of York, or the GBD military to deliver elementals.

Edit: Corrected weapon location typo. Yes. It's a typo... we'll go with that...

Edit: Corrected coding errors, reformatted code tags.
« Last Edit: 05 October 2016, 17:24:16 by Fireangel »

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
  • I am here to keep the peace
Wow, thats pretty good...........It was just last week that i was trying to design the exact same thing along with the APC

Maybe a typo, but i see eight locations for RW.......i'm sure you meant 4x RW/4x LW

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
I rather love this thing.   A very compact raiding lander.  Really nice to be able to make an ASF bay a bit more versatile.   Thanks for posting this!
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Do not offend the chair leg of truth.  It is wise and terrible.

The GM is only right for as long as the facts back him up.

Fireangel

• Major
Maybe a typo, but i see eight locations for RW.......i'm sure you meant 4x RW/4x LW

Good catch! Yes, it was an oversight. Thank you.

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
The only concern I would have would be a relatively low amount of fuel for something that might need to have additional endurance incase there is a need for it to have to move around before, during, and after a mission.  Is there anything that could be done to address that?
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Do not offend the chair leg of truth.  It is wise and terrible.

The GM is only right for as long as the facts back him up.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
I always pictured it as an Aerodyne Small Craft myself, not a Dropship or ASF.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Fireangel

• Major
The only concern I would have would be a relatively low amount of fuel for something that might need to have additional endurance incase there is a need for it to have to move around before, during, and after a mission.  Is there anything that could be done to address that?

5 tons is plenty for its mission profile. If additional endurance is needed, it can pack external stores of fuel.

Remember that After dropping off the M577, the Udie moved off to land until the all-clear was given; I see it as a fuel hog; IMHO, 5 tons of fuel is enough.

I always pictured it as an Aerodyne Small Craft myself, not a Dropship or ASF.

To quote myself from the archived thread:

Quote from: Fireangel
Quote from: Dragon Cat on 18 Jul, 2008, 05:09:08 am
Fireangel I like it but was thinking...

Up it to 150 tons, making it a Small Craft

Add a bay for the marines to man the APC and a couple of escape pods keep everything else the same
Several problems with that:

First, the UD-4L did not have a dedicated bay for the marines; they mounted the APC aboard the sulaco and rode it down all the way to the surface.

Second; the UD-4L did not have escape pods. This is clear from its layout, which is closer to a VTOL than any kind of actual spacecraft. At any rate, they would be unnecessary since the infantry would travel inside the vehicle and the crew of 1 (2 if you want to fluff it that way) would have the standard ASF ejection system.

Third; The movement types of small craft don't match what we know of the UD-4L; it can make vertical takeoffs and landings (which an aerodyne cannot do) and move horizontally through the atmosphere at speeds that a spheroid can't reach. ASF's can actually move the way that the Udie did... with great difficulty, but they can...

Fourth; as an ASF, there is but one required crewmember, which uses a single 3-ton cockpit for all its life support needs. If it were done as a small craft, it would have a requirement of 4 crew and 2 gunners, each requiring at a minimum a 5-ton steerage quarters to accommodate them (required by the small craft construction rules).

Fifth, small craft have transit drives, allowing them to travel vast distances. We know from the movie that the Udie is deployed from orbit and is not equipped for extended trips.

Nope. She's an ASF in CBT terms, no doubt about it.

YMMV, of course, and Herb's Rule #1 applies.  ;)

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
I'm going withthe spirit of the ship rather than aping it exactly.

Commanche Assault Lighter

VALIDATED

Class/Model/Name:  Commanche ASL-4C
Tech:              Inner Sphere / 3067
Rules:             Level 2, Standard design

Mass:              30 tons
Power Plant:       60 Fusion
Armor Type:        Standard
Armament:         
    2 Small Pulse Laser
    8 RL 10 (OS)

Power Plant:  60 Fusion                                                  1.50
Structural Integrity: 4                                                   .00
Total Heat Sinks:    10 Single                                            .00
Armor Type:  Standard  (104 total armor pts)                             6.50
                           Standard Scale Armor Pts
   Nose:                                 26
   Left/Right Wings:                  26/26
   Aft:                                  26

2 Small Pulse Laser        Nose         3     --     --     --    4      2.00
4 RL 10 (OS)               RW           6      6     --     --   12      2.00
4 RL 10 (OS)               LW           6      6     --     --   12      2.00
1 Light SuV Bay                                                          5.00
1 Command Console                                                     3.00
TOTALS:                                                     Heat: 4     30.00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost:        1,027,295 C-Bills
Battle Value:      485
Cost per BV:       2,118.13
Weapon Value:      771 (Ratio = 1.59)
Damage Factors:    SRV = 46;  MRV = 28;  LRV = 0;  ERV = 0
BattleForce2:      MP: 4,  Armor/Structure: 3 / 0
                   Damage PB/M/L: 1/-/-,  Overheat: 0
                   Class: FL;  Point Value: 5
-Jackmc
« Last Edit: 23 August 2011, 14:27:19 by Jackmc »

Fireangel

• Major
1 2nd Crew Person                                                        3.00

IMHO the second crew might be better represented by a 4-ton dual cockpit.

The Light SuV bay is homebrew, right? Maybe instead of that you could use a (rules legal) single-squad mechanized infantry compartment [5-tons](just make sure they are XTC troops or that the small support vehicle carried has environmental sealing). With the extra 2 tons (plus another one taken from somewhere else) you could even use a bay instead of a compartment.

Even at 5 tons for the bay, it could be swapped for a foot infantry platoon bay; a convenient platoon-level orbital assault transport easily transportable aboard most dropships.

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
IMHO the second crew might be better represented by a 4-ton dual cockpit.

The dual cockpit doens't really work.  On cargo planes and gunships, the second crewman is not just a gunner, they are also a fully-qualified pilto with a fully functional set of controls whereas a BT dual cockpit is a set of specialized controls for both the gunner and pilot with a massive penalty for using them for the other function.

Scatch that entry and make it a Command Console which is a full set of contorls and rules legal.

The Light SuV bay is homebrew, right?

Not really, it's just a cargo bay with a different name.  Since there's infantry in the APC,  it can use the Loading/Unlaoding rules from the Cargo Carriers section on p. 261 of TW which means it takes 10-20 seconds to load/unload.

-Jackmc

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
Good catch! Yes, it was an oversight. Thank you.
No problem, i've done that too O0

Not sure if you've seen this.....UD-4L
Whats interesting is that its classed as a Dropship, but its the size of an Aerofighter
« Last Edit: 23 August 2011, 14:53:30 by Snake Eyes »

Fireangel

• Major
Not really, it's just a cargo bay with a different name.  Since there's infantry in the APC,  it can use the Loading/Unlaoding rules from the Cargo Carriers section on p. 261 of TW which means it takes 10-20 seconds to load/unload.

Yeah, that's the problem; as cargo, there are delays, the infantry must disembark... while a combat unit bay can discharge quicker and the troops can remain in the APC.

Honestly I love the design as an infantry platoon orbital transport.

Not sure if you've seen this.....UD-4L
Whats interesting is that its classed as a Dropship, but its the size of an Aerofighter

An older version of that page (IIRC) was one of my sources, confirmed with the old RPG book and movie magazine.

The name "dropship" is the result of different nomenclature; in the Aliens universe, it means "landing craft", while in BT it means a particular type of craft with many common features.

Notice how the popular media has labeled all sorts of units that are superficially similar to the Undie "dropships", regardless of role or capabilities. The GI Joe "DragonHawk" is one particular example; it is a rotary-wing craft incapable of transatmospheric flight that sort-of looks like the Undie (bring a ton of imagination and squinty eyes) which can carry a module underneath which can be "dropped" on the battlefield. This is also the same reason that the "dropships" in the Starship Troopers films are thus called.

As far as nomenclature goes, both my and Jackmc's designs fully qualify as dropships in the Aliens universe, but the Aliens version does not in any way qualify as a dropship in BT.

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
An older version of that page (IIRC) was one of my sources, confirmed with the old RPG book and movie magazine.

The name "dropship" is the result of different nomenclature; in the Aliens universe, it means "landing craft", while in BT it means a particular type of craft with many common features.

Notice how the popular media has labeled all sorts of units that are superficially similar to the Undie "dropships", regardless of role or capabilities. The GI Joe "DragonHawk" is one particular example; it is a rotary-wing craft incapable of transatmospheric flight that sort-of looks like the Undie (bring a ton of imagination and squinty eyes) which can carry a module underneath which can be "dropped" on the battlefield. This is also the same reason that the "dropships" in the Starship Troopers films are thus called.

As far as nomenclature goes, both my and Jackmc's designs fully qualify as dropships in the Aliens universe, but the Aliens version does not in any way qualify as a dropship in BT.
So, the DragonHawk is classed as a DS ???
Its VTOL thats just shaped funny.........Though i see your point about why it would be considered a Dropship.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
Have you tried to replace the Thunderbolt-5 with maybe a MML-X ? That way you could :

have all of these in one slot.

Just a thought.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Fireangel

• Major
Have you tried to replace the Thunderbolt-5 with maybe a MML-X ? That way you could :

have all of these in one slot.

Just a thought.

TT
When I first designed (*ahem*... adapted) the thing, I did not make much use of MMLs. I chose to use RLs for both economy of weight and their one-shot nature.

My main goal with this design was to present the possibility of ASF-sized combat transports; I'd love to see some really cool designs like the Commanche with different combat and transport capabilities.

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
Yeah, that's the problem; as cargo, there are delays, the infantry must disembark... while a combat unit bay can discharge quicker and the troops can remain in the APC.

Ordinarily I wouldn't be rules lawyerly-but since we're trying to use the the game rules in a realistic fashion (ie the simplicity of jsut driving down the ramp): Has this been covered in an errata thread?  Because if not, my reading of TW just sees that it says that  the infantry unit must be in the same hex as the unit to be loaded/unloaded.  If you rape the rules and attach a 1 man "loadmaster" squad to the unit then the lighter has 2 infantry units to do the unloading which means that the APC is off 10 seconds after touchdown.

-Jackmc 

Fireangel

• Major
Ordinarily I wouldn't be rules lawyerly-but since we're trying to use the the game rules in a realistic fashion (ie the simplicity of jsut driving down the ramp): Has this been covered in an errata thread?  Because if not, my reading of TW just sees that it says that  the infantry unit must be in the same hex as the unit to be loaded/unloaded.  If you rape the rules and attach a 1 man "loadmaster" squad to the unit then the lighter has 2 infantry units to do the unloading which means that the APC is off 10 seconds after touchdown.

-Jackmc

Well, yes, the infantry must be in the same hex... but they can't do much if they are inside the APC, so they need to disembark. The relevant rules for transporting combat units as cargo in cargo bays are found in StratOps pp. 43-44; with an absolute minimum time of 2 minutes, 5 seconds for unloading a 5-ton APC and getting it ready for action.

Cowdragon

• Captain
  • PM me for Ft. Collins CO battletech games
neato!

On wings of steel, Come I, Pillars of flame
Mark me, Fury bright as suns, Foes fear
The star back road, I hunt, Blood geld payment
Shan't be, The ravens throne, Blod Orn
- vidar (thank you vidar!!!)
Pie or Spehs and Tanks also BA

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
Well, yes, the infantry must be in the same hex... but they can't do much if they are inside the APC, so they need to disembark. The relevant rules for transporting combat units as cargo in cargo bays are found in StratOps pp. 43-44; with an absolute minimum time of 2 minutes, 5 seconds for unloading a 5-ton APC and getting it ready for action.

Or you could drop some of the RL's or armor and install a lift hoist and legally go back to using the rules from TW vs the ones from Strat Ops.

VALIDATED

Tech:              Inner Sphere / 3067
Rules:             Level 2, Standard design

Power Plant:       60 Fusion
Armor Type:        Ferro-aluminum
Armament:         
    2 Small Pulse Laser
    6 RL 10 (OS)

Power Plant:  60 Fusion                                                  1.50
Structural Integrity: 4                                                   .00
Total Heat Sinks:    10 Single                                            .00
Armor Type:  Ferro-aluminum  (80 total armor pts)                        4.50
                           Standard Scale Armor Pts
   Nose:                                 20
   Left/Right Wings:                  20/20
   Aft:                                  20

2 Small Pulse Laser        Nose         3     --     --     --    4      2.00
3 RL 10 (OS)               RW           6      6     --     --    9      1.50
3 RL 10 (OS)               LW           6      6     --     --    9      1.50
1 Command Console                                                        3.00
1 Lift Hoist                                                             3.00
TOTALS:                                                     Heat: 4     30.00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost:        1,021,545 C-Bills
Battle Value:      387
Cost per BV:       2,639.65
Weapon Value:      619 (Ratio = 1.60)
Damage Factors:    SRV = 36;  MRV = 21;  LRV = 0;  ERV = 0
BattleForce2:      MP: 4,  Armor/Structure: 2 / 0
                   Damage PB/M/L: 1/-/-,  Overheat: 0
                   Class: FL;  Point Value: 4

-Jackmc

Fireangel

• Major
Lift hoists are for carrying cargo externally; since aero units cannot carry cargo externally, they cannot mount lift hoists.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
Very sweet designs
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
Lift hoists are for carrying cargo externally

Actually per the rules, they can be used to handle internal cargo as well.  However...

aero units... cannot mount lift hoists.

Ah never thought to check since common sense says they could, but yes I see how it's forbidden by the rules.

-Jackmc

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
A while back, I designed a set of Mark I-VI landing craft under the ASF rules, basically using the engine break points (25, 45, 60, 75, 85, 100) to make 3/5 ships with minimal armament, a decent amount of armor and as much cargo as would fit aside from that.  They came out with 6, 20, 35, 50, 60 and 75 tons of cargo respectively.  This line of thinking is what led me to my proposed house rules for widening the overlap between ASF's and Small Craft (and thank you for that thorough and interesting discussion last time around).

Cowdragon

• Captain
  • PM me for Ft. Collins CO battletech games
ok, this is flipping cool. Thanks for sending me back over here to take another look at it. I love what you did with it, but I think I am going to mess with it a bit to suit my own needs a little better. Specifically, I would like to know what the BV is on my craft. Really really cool! Thanks again!

On wings of steel, Come I, Pillars of flame
Mark me, Fury bright as suns, Foes fear
The star back road, I hunt, Blood geld payment
Shan't be, The ravens throne, Blod Orn
- vidar (thank you vidar!!!)
Pie or Spehs and Tanks also BA

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
I know this is a bit old, but I just discovered it and it fits PERFECTLY with a merc unit I'm building!

I have a company sized unit of elite anti-mech trained commandos in my merc battalion, and this ASF dropship would be PERFECTLY suited to storm in, quick drop them off, and bug out. Might even be able to provide a little cover fire in a hot zone.

This baby fits in wonderfully for that, and fills a gap i've been struggling to fill with existing dropships/landing craft.

Fireangel

• Major
I'd actually like to thank you!
This thread necromancy allows me to correct the coding errors that crept in after the last site crash!  O0

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: UD-4L "Cheyenne" the Aliens "dropship"
« Reply #26 on: 04 October 2016, 18:24:33 »
I actually discovered that editing an old thread doesn't trigger the necromancy warning (I had to go back and fix all the Greek letters I used for my ComStar non-canon unit).  BTW, you can also fix the formatting in the subject line (see above).

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
I'd actually like to thank you!
This thread necromancy allows me to correct the coding errors that crept in after the last site crash!  O0

LOL - Glad I could help  ;)

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
Re: UD-4L "Cheyenne" - the Aliens "dropship"
« Reply #28 on: 07 October 2016, 16:22:03 »
Nice job. I always thought it should be larger like a 200 ton shuttle
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Fireangel

• Major
Re: UD-4L "Cheyenne" - the Aliens "dropship"
« Reply #29 on: 07 October 2016, 21:11:58 »
A really good thing about ASFs with ground unit bays is that you can deploy ground units from ASF carriers.

Once deployed a Level II demi-company of Sorceress WiGE tanks with a Level I platoon of heavy PBI from a Leopard CV to take a militia-guarded supply depot during a campaign.  >:/!

Anticipating a landing by the Udies to deploy Goblins,  my opponent deployed the bulk of his forces to the two places on the battlefield suitable for landing fighters... when the Udies deployed the Sorceresses while still in flight, causing a forced redeployment and neutralizing my opponent's minefields and pre-plotted artillery hexes. O0

Getting my butt handed to me had more to do with some truly unlucky dice rolls than any problems with the units or tactics.  :-\