Author Topic: Ngoverse v. 4.0- "The Politics of Compromise"  (Read 30718 times)

Dave Talley

• Major
Re: Ngoverse v. 4.0- "The Politics of Compromise"
« Reply #90 on: 27 March 2016, 20:52:12 »
That right there is why the Clans will never win in the end...

thats an even scarier future
40 years down the road, an army of mechjocks and elementals who speak viet and know there are no rules :-)
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #91 on: 27 March 2016, 21:05:55 »
what about for her gun

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #92 on: 27 March 2016, 21:09:29 »
True, but there is something to be said for a pistol that LOOKS like a mere show-piece accessory, but is in fact a fully functional weapon.  Perhaps something like this?

A more modern reproduction of course...but still obviously an antique design, purely a decorative piece... >:D

I thought about a "hide in plain sight" gun too.  I'm open to the idea, but I don't know if it would fit Deb's personality.  I think it might, as she obviously doesn't feel compelled to correct a misconception, but I'm not the author and don't know all of Deb's personality traits.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #93 on: 27 March 2016, 22:06:46 »
[moved from out of sequence, to correctly sequenced.]
Felter's Brewery, Market Street, Tharkad City...

"Well, look who's here, and looking sharp!"  a feminine voice said into his ear.  Pol turned, coming face to face with MCPO Giao Pham.

"Hey, Sailor, you gonna let me buy you a drink?" he asked.

"you know it." she told him, "Officer's pay means you're buying." she added impishly, "Looks like you found the best food in the city without directions."

"I had help." He said, nodding to a couple of ex-soldiers employed by Nashan Enterprises, "Took the boy to a tailor's, got done a couple hours ago, but her Ladyship is still out with Maggie Doons and some blonde."

"Cool. I'd ask if you were up for a tumble, but it's mid-day and I've gotta get back to the dock tonight." she said whistfully.

"That's alright-I have  a crapload of pre-hearing paperwork to do, does the LAAF just have departments that invent new forms that have to be filled out?"

"Yep." she said, and signalled the barman, "Moshe's Kosher Red Ale, Leon!"

"coming..."

Pol was reconsidering the almost-offer when the doors opened, and three LAAF officers walked in.  His eye caught the flash.  Chaplain? thought those guys only drank wine...

The trio made a beeline for his table.

"Masterchief Giao Pham?" one of them asked, "This is for you." he handed her an offprint telex.

She opened it, and pol saw a face he'd seen too many times in the last two years.

"Chief, the Kaptain has authorized bereavement leave if you need it..."

Pol waited...before he asked.  "How many?"

her eyes were flowing as she whispered, "all of them, mama, dad, my brothers...my sister...my grandparents...nobody survived."

"Flu?" he asked.

She nodded.

Pol took out his comm unit and asked the Chaplain if there was a Synagogue in the city, and whether he knew the contact information for the local Jewish community's leaders.

The man gave him a datachip, and Pol thanked him.

Giao buried her face in his arm and shook with weeping.

Then, Pol called Debbie. 

Siemen und Kohl, 1900 hours...

Debra was looking at herself in the mirror when her comm unit chirped on the table.  Maggie Doons reached out, and collected it.  "She's busy." she said.

"your grace...it's Pol Nguyen, I need Milady to give me some time off to help a...friend...to deal with the loss of someone close to her." Pol's voice sounded strained.

"REally...who died?" Maggie asked skeptically.

"her Family is in New Saigon, and none of them survived." his voice on the phone was grim, "and I don't know if the local community is even equipped to deal with that scale of loss."

"ohmygod...how many?" Doons asked, all skepticism gone.

"eight names." Pol's voice told her, "I could be a while, making arrangements with a local rabbi and helping gather the local community-at least, those that will come."

"Yes...I'm sure she will agree, you should take all the time you need." Maggie said numbly, then, "Deborah...you need to take this call.  NOW, Henri, you should wait."

Debbie managed not to fall in the tall boots, as she took the comm unit from Maggie Doons.

Maggie watched the girl's face, which had almost been radiant a moment ago, plunge back into the darkness.  "Kin non-believahs attend?" she asked, then nodded, "ayah, Ah'll be there soon's Ah kin...does she gots a place t'stay? she's thet chief you was seein? uhuh...no, Ah'll ask Maggie if there's room...no, not a problem. Vaya con Dios, I'll see you soon."

Debra closed the comms unit, "Ah thin' we're done shoppin, Your Grace." she said, "Pol's new girlfrien' jus' found out she ain' got no family nomore, ah have mah duty to mah people-an he's one of'm."

"Henri? can you finish the work later?" Maggie asked.

"I can." the tailor said, all pretense of frivolous foolshness laid aside, "I can have the main ensemble ready on time, now, without requiring further work until the day in question."

Deb went to the changing room, and was back in her clothes.

"Did he give you an address?" Maggie asked.

Debra opened her comm unit, and brought up a text display, "he did."

"We'll take my car." Maggie stated, "it's faster-we might even precede him..."

"Need Carlos." Debra stated, "Pol said he's et Brookings wi' some o' your lads, pickin' up a suit."

"it's on the way." Maggie stated, and took control of the situation.

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #94 on: 27 March 2016, 22:29:37 »
Spider Moon Coast Guard Air Station, Kowloon system...

"I'm of two minds." Alicia Li said, after reading Bianh's report, "a bit fewer than you have, Leutenant.  The first, is to use you as he directed-as an assassin.  The second, is that you are being staged so that the Blakists might stage the 'save' and thereby, gain the confidence of Her Grace, while driving a wedge between Her Grace, and the Guard."

"you think they are playing a deep game?" Bianh asked.

"When are the Terrans not?" Li asked rhetorically, "of course it's a deep game.  Think: if you try to kill your liege, it discredits any report you make about their forces, if you do not, they know we've got you turned, and we lose that conduit into their operations.  We don't have any agents inside Comstar-their ROM office is very competent."

"But they claimed to be Word of Blake?" Bianh asked.

"They're all Comstar-more the point, they're all Terrans." Li said, "The so-called 'schism' reaches only so far as can be discovered publicly, I suspect, their overall objectives remain control, as they did when it was the Terran Alliance, or the Terran Hegemony, or even the Star League-the only changes, are methodology and propoganda."

"Not all-the Sol-Belters..."

"The Sol Belters can't help us." Li stated decisively, "Their focus is solely on retaining what little they have, and they're under a lot more pressure, being so far in...besides, we have other routes to them.  The hell with the cover." Li stated, "That mission has reached the endpoint of it's usefulness, if they realize you're not on their team anymore-just as well-in that sense, the virus has done the best job anyone could concieve, of guaranteeing a freehold-none that would oppress our people dare enter, but we remain free to travel."

"Free Stars?" Bianh asked.

Li nodded, "Free Stars."
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #95 on: 27 March 2016, 22:57:18 »
I hate to ask, but is Giao Pham a Senior Chief or a Master Chief?

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #96 on: 27 March 2016, 23:07:04 »
I hate to ask, but is Giao Pham a Senior Chief or a Master Chief?

I can actually answer that (and the question tells me where to edit for the word document side)...Masterchief.  She's E-8, mainly on the strength of her technical level (tested up plus points. 'Jump snipes' usually do a single tour, then leave for the commercial side where the money is, she re-upped...)

iirc, most RL navies promote based on a mix of testing and points when it comes to enlisted, and that seems reasonable in the BTU, where not too terribly long ago, the actual function of Jump Drives was on hte edge of completely lost knowledge, and nobody had current experience with compact cores.

(ergo, a drive-core technician who's got 'skillz' is likely STILL a desperately desired commodity, and unlike nuclear weapons techs, they can probably sell their services dearly on the open market.)

come to think on it a bit, for the Word-document version, I'll probably sidestep and just make her a senior Warrant...probably easier than explaining fast promotions for enlisted in the Lyran Navy.
« Last Edit: 27 March 2016, 23:10:36 by Cannonshop »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #97 on: 27 March 2016, 23:15:03 »
I'm still confused... the AToW Companion doesn't list any Naval enlisted ranks for Lyrans, and the FWL table on the opposite page follows the real world USN (E-8 is Senior Chief).  ???

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #98 on: 27 March 2016, 23:37:15 »
I'm still confused... the AToW Companion doesn't list any Naval enlisted ranks for Lyrans, and the FWL table on the opposite page follows the real world USN (E-8 is Senior Chief).  ???
  Ah, but Pham is a member of the Kowloon Coast Guard, a ‘native militia’ force which has a rank-structure similar to the USN/USCG of today.  She might technically hold a ‘Lyran’ rank-equivalent — probably Sergeant-Major by the table in the aToW Companion — but that’s more for the convenience and quick-understanding of outsiders, and I’d imagine she ‘recognises’ being addressed by her KCG title a hair faster than she does her nominal Lyran grade.
« Last Edit: 27 March 2016, 23:44:59 by Trace Coburn »

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #99 on: 27 March 2016, 23:40:11 »
Plaza Synagogue, Tharkad City...

Debra didn't really know what to do,  so she defaulted to simply being quiet.

"Colonel..." she finally got him away from the girl, "y'all told me shiva is a week, raght?"

He nodded.

"So you have the week off." Debra told him, "Call me, Lana, or Carlos if you need anythin', she's hurtin'.  Be here for her, any business of mahn kin eithah wait, or ah'll handle it mahse'f."

"Milady, your security-"

"Ah'm guest t' one of th' Alliance' mos' powerful nobles, ah have Carlos, Lopez, Garcia, an' a ten milimeter revolvah." she told him, "Ah will be fine for a week, Ah don' know what it'll tek for her t'be okay, but ah reckon a familiar presence who cares 'bout her will he'p more than monah and strangahs...now go be with her..."

"thank you." he said.

Debra motioned for Carlos to join her, and stepped onto the street.

"All done?" Maggie asked as she climbed in, followed by Carlos.

"Ah gave him a week off t'help her." Debra said, "and promised Ah'd do whatever helpin they need-Ah hope Ah can keep it."

"You could have done  it over the comm."  Margaret observed.

"It wouldn't have had meaning." Debra stated, "or not as much as bein' there in person."

"VERY true. Liz taught you well, Deborah." Maggie stated.  "A personal touch in these matters is often vital for cementing loyalty, and it percolates, shows your people you really do care-so it reinforces loyalties beyond your inner circle."

Debra gave the older woman sharp look, "Thet's not why Ah did et." she said, and then enunciated, "I did it because it was the right thing to do."

Maggie chuckled, "I agree." she said, "But the right thing, and the right thing politically can often be in harmony-in spite of the popularity of Realpolitik...and this is one of those situations.  Mastery of Politics is knowing when, and how, to keep those things in harmony while retaining the ability to act...politically, you have at least won some positive exposure to a fairly large minority in the Capitol by coming here in person to grant one of your men leave to console a loved one, believe me, it will be in the press in a few hours, as will dropping your personal shopping time at an exclusive, appointments-only clothier to do this, this close to an Audience with the Archon...placing others above yourself like this, is very good politics for someone as new as you are, it buys a lot of goodwill, especially in the Media."

"Ah din' see no cameras." Debra said.

"They were there." Maggie assured her, "Believe me, you'll see. It won't be front-page news, but it will have coverage."

"HOW?" debra demanded.

"Because if I didn't set it up, your girl Lana did-if she's even halfway competent, she's already crafting a press release on your behalf-it's her job, and it's actually a critical one for protecting and building your influence." Maggie stated, "I even chose to forego this myself, since it would detract from your spotlight."

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #100 on: 27 March 2016, 23:54:48 »
  Lord knows Debbie needs that early boost of political capital.  She might not have Liz’s Cholmann’s and its host of related/resultant ‘issues’, but IIRC, in the FGC version she found herself at a cocktail party with a guy who chose to spend the whole night busting her chops, and eventually she rounded him and bluntly gave him the choice of weapons: hatchets, knives or hammers.  (On the post-Plague Arluna of that timeline — and as long-standing custom amongst its hillfolk in this timeline, for all I know! — duels were/are fought one of those three weapons, with the combatants’ right hands roped together, and continue(d?) until the surrender or death of one or both participants.  Mutual kills were not at all uncommon.)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #101 on: 28 March 2016, 03:56:35 »
The Triad, Royal Palace, Tharkad City, Tharkad, 23 October, 3067...

Debra let the guards check her sidearm and confiscate the ready-loads.  When they handed the now-empty revolver back, she accepted it without a word of complaint or objection, sliding it into the scabbard-like hip holster worked into her outfit.

It took less than a minute.  It took longer for Carlos to finish the weapons-check-in, as he added spare magazines, backup pistols, knives, a leather-wrapped piece of lead bar, in a way, it was embarrassing...or would have been, if the next man in the line hadn't been a Mercenary.

"brought 'nough spares?" Deb asked as they entered the gallery before the main audience hall.

"I was trying to be prepared." Carlos told her.  Since his was a truly 'militia' commission, he'd been encouraged to show up in 'suitable civilian clothing'.  To Deb's eyes, the sharp suit looked very good on him, and she'd even told him so.  She hadn't really been aware that it was cut to conceal quite the arsenal the Royal Guards insisted on putting in locked storage.

"Et's a royal summons, not a gunfight." She whispered back, "ef you'd'a worn one'a those outside, they'd'a likely let you keep one."

"Pol said it would spoil the cut of the suit..." He whispered back.

Deb shrugged, and stole a quick kiss to his cheek, "You're adorable." she told him, and then, the line moved and they proceeded forward.

A servant in a gaudy House steiner Livery moved through the crowd, separating it into groups.

"Name?" the man asked.

"MacAulliffe, Debra, and guest." she enunciated.

"His name, please."

"Carlos Al-Carrera de Los Cassos Arluna." Carlos said, showing a bit of the irritation Deb was starting to feel.

at the word "arluna" the Liveried man glanced up and seemed to see them for the first time.  "Oh, right this way Lady and sir, you need to be with the others for the swearing in."

They followed. 

"wish Pol was doing this..." Carlos muttered, "...he would know how to deal with this with class."

"Don' sell y'sef short, Carlos, that was very classy what you did." she told him.

"Why do I want to punch the guy?" Carlos muttered back.

"tell me whah ah want to, an' we'll both be knowin." she muttered.

they found themselves a group of people, many in LAAF formal dress uniforms, a few in almost pathetically fragile formal outfits that to Debra looked outlandishly impractical in Tharkad's frigid climate, and one surprisingly young man in the Cadet Uniform for Sanglamore Academy.

"So..." Deb felt the oppressive weight of bodies around her, and a new annoyance with the entire setting.  Put forth a genial face until you know for certain-it takes people by surprise. Maggie'd instructed.  Debra tried a smile.

in spite of the near-crowding, somehow, space opened up around them, and a few of their 'colleagues' pointedly avoided eye-contact.

a few, but not all.

"Hello, are you the new Noble for Arluna?" a tall girl whose uniform barely contained her ample bust, asked.

"Ah..yes..yes I am." Debra suppressed her accent by a force of will, "And..ah..you are?"

"Constance Voord, Baroness designate from Praetoria." the girl extended a hand, "I heard you didn't see much of my world while you were in quarantine, perhaps you'll stop in a bit longer when you head home?"

Debra took her hand in a firm grip, "Ah maht do thet." she said, dropping the pretense and shaking firmly, "I'm Debra MacAulliffe, and Ah'm pleased t'meetcha."

"The pleasure is mine." Miss Voord said, "This is my fiance, Allan, he's an attorney." she gestured to a tall, ebon-skinned man in a civilian suit.

"an' this mah...boyfriend, Carlos." Debra said, indicating, "His pa's a judge."

"And what do you do, Carlos?" Allan asked, somehow looking down his nose at the younger man.

"I currently pilot a Clan built battlemech." Carlos told him, "My commander calls it a 'Timberwolf, Prime configuration'.  It's a lot faster than my old ride."

"You're a mechwarrior?" Constance, at least, seemed somewhat impressed.  "Which academy?"

Debra interjected, "Hard Knox." she said quietly, "Carlos was accepted at CMA, but the plague cancelled his arrival date, he's bin gettin his larnin' in the field, with Clanner and Kowloonese instructors, fighting armed criminals."

"in a MADCAT?"

"One of the criminals had it, but rest his soul he's dead." Carlos said in a deadpan tone, "got blood all over the place, very messy."

Debra riffed off Carlos' bluff, "indeed, very messy business in Brightsville.  Ah almos' got stepped on."

"I apologized for that!" he insisted.

Debra laid an arm over his shoulders, "and ah forgave you." she said, "but Ah nevah said ah'd Fo'git."

the act hit the right tone-and the 'judgement pressure' abated as some of the other Heir-Designates re-evaluated.

one of the young men-almost a boy, asked, "What's your old ride, Carl?"

"Zeus." Carlos said truthfully, "The new one is much faster...cockpit's a little tight and the neurohelmet feels funny, but..."

Allan seemed content to drift into the group of men that were surrounding Carlos to talk about combat, tactics, and fighting machines, leaving Debra with Constance and the girls.

"I love your outfit." an ebony-skinned girl in Royal Guards colors said, "it's a Henri original, right?"

Debra nodded slowly, "Ayup...tailored three days ago, an' Ah don' even wanna think about th' cost, Maggie said she's coverin' it..."

This was a familiar feeling too.  Any minute now, the cutting comments would start. 

only...

"Janisha, she's a Proper noble, not a jumped up concubine." Constance snapped, then turned to Deb, "Unlike Janisha, I actually do like your outfit, it looks comfortable while it looks good.  If I hadn't seen you on the newsnet the other day, I would've mistaken you for someone from a grade AAA merc unit."

Debra licked her lips, "Why?"

"Let's see...you walked in ready for a fight, which the boys over there are a lot more equipped to handle than these...concubines, courtiers, and hangers-on." she said, sweeping the other girls with a stare of contempt, "Usually a Merc from a big outfit shows with their legal rep, who's usually dressed like Carlos over there..." she nodded to the group of boys (and now, some uniformed girls) surrounding Carlos, "and they always walk in with a sidearm on display-not a decorative piece, but something functional and real-that's a Makba 10.1 Milimeter Magnum, right?"

Debra nodded, "It is...the grip's small 'nough for my hand, and it punches hard without flippin' too bad."

"yeah, my Dad liked those." Constance stated, "For the same reason, me? I like my Sternsacht 9-twice the number of shots, faster reload and almost as accurate and hard-hitting."

Deb shrugged, "I'm fair with what I have." she said, "though it's kind of irritatin' Ah had t' turn the rounds in."

"you were carrying when you walked in?" one of the other girls, the 'concubines' scoffed.

Debra eyed her 'slant-wise'.  "Ah carry everywhere." she said quietly, "can't always have three big men with guns on tap."

The girl started to say something snide, but Constance interrupted her, "She's Elizabeth Ngo's protege, Angie, and she's the guest of Margaret Doons, you might want to put a stopper in your suck-hole, your family does business with them both."

"You done your research." Debra noted.

"it's like...osmosis? I've been learning this stuff since before I was able to walk." Constance told her, "Like my cousin Elena Van Derwee, who's...I think in the bathroom."

Debra crossed her arms, "Cousins, both swearin' in at the same tahm?"

"there are a couple hundred of us-heirs to people who died in the Civil War, hitting 'just the right age' to inherit-you're actually the only 'new' noble getting sworn in today." Constance told her, "Everyone else here either grew up on it, or didn't know they were due to inherit the titles and lands..story is, the Archon's been running one of these every month as the estates are being settled.  The estates that don't have a line of succession he's supposed to be distributing to new nobles sometime in January."

Debra did some mental math, "So...what jumped me up?" she asked aloud.

"You've been running Arluna for two years-which is why I said 'Real' noble-you've been doing the job, your hearing is a formality, some of us, will be walking out as pauperized as they walked in-Peter's been very selective about who actually gets to claim titles and lands."

"and you?" Debra asked.

"I want Elena to get it." Constance told her, "That would leave me free to stay in the service, or go Merc when my five is up, like Uncle Carter."

Debra was flabberghasted, "You mean...he can force you?" she asked.

Constance shrugged, "He can rule that the lands are unclaimed and give them to someone else, if the person he chooses declines, he can appoint a Regent if they're in active service...yeah, he can force it-if you love your family anyway.  Dad was killed without a valid will and testament during the battle here on Tharkad, when Peter took down Nondi."

Debra frowned, "which side?" she asked.

"Daddy was in the First Royals." Constance told her, "Which should explain Allan's...attitude problem with your boyfriend."

"Kathrinist." Deb hazarded.

"Yep." Constance said, "he's really very sweet, but his family lost a lot of influence when the civil war ended, and he's gotten hostile toward Peter's policies."

"and you?" deb asked.

"I...am a patriot." Constance said, "Peter is the legitimate Archon, he is my supreme commander, and soldiers don't generally discuss divisive politics or opinions if they want to be of true service to the realm-and that's what I want to do, Serve."

Deb smiled, "It's okay-mah mother was a Kathrinist an' mah father was a political prisoner, and ah gots no use fo' either of th' spoilt brats-their tiff split the nation an' ah b'lieve helped annihilate worlds...Arluna lost ninety percent of our population an' some of the neighbouring worlds are still dealin' with outbreaks."

"How bad is it there?" one of the older girls, looking a little scared, asked.

"When the wind's wrong, you c'n smell the death." Debra said, "Or when it's right...or when it ain't blowin, we've cleared some of the major cities an' we're consolidatin' areas, but rebuildin' is slow, there's bandits, feral animals, and ordinary accidents still killin' folk-less than there was...but still happens a lot...it's what happens when 1.9 billion people die in a short tahm, all togethah on one world.  since thn, we've had plagues of rats, cats, dogs, vermin, septic conditions, a nuclear pile almos' melted down, the city of Oxford caught fahr... Et's whah Arluna is a Barony now, 'stead of a Ducal seat...but we're managin' to pull it out, slow, but steady. Bigges' problem's been getting organized and keepin' it, th' old duke an' his cronies looted th' treasury, left petty thugs in the Militia, an' generally had things a pretty nasty mess 'afore the plague come-when et hit, they wasn' ready or able t'deal with et, so civil disorder an' petty dictators all over hell an' back, that made things..difficult fo' a while, if'n we didn' have help from Kowloon, Arluna might be a deadworld now, sure 's hell the Alliance cain't send folks in-our best job sofar been a survival of 20% ifn' they get th' right help once they're infected, and the poor bastard Clannahs whats showed up, got sick, an' lived caint leave neither-they're still contagious."

the crowd around her was larger, but it felt more like a meeting than a mob.

"Clanners?" someone asked.

"We had some Jade Falcons show up t' help th' relief-from their enclave on Kowloon at firs', an' later they sent in a whole Galaxy, th' Beta galaxy-only once they realized they'd not be safe comin' home, the res' of th' Clan dropped 'em off'n the roles with a don't-come-home Abjuration." Debra clarified, "My militia's second in command is formah Star Captain Jonas Falcon, now Colonel Jonas Falcon, an' he's an exemplary citizen now, got him a lil' wife from Kowloon who was workin' the relief ops-Carlos works fo' him directly at th' Militia rank of Major...an' my man Carlos, he's seed real combat ever' day for a year-he earned his tabs th' hard way." Deb let the pride come out in her voice.

"Still contagious?" someone muttered, another voice questioned "twenty percent survival with the right treatment?"

Debra cleared her throat, "Once you gets th' virus, you will get sick, doesn' always happen all at once-a year ago, I looked like her-" Deb pointed at a ginger girl with a cream complexion, "Ah had th' virus, same as anyone else-but mah immune system was fightin' it a good fight...jus not good 'nough, now ah got th' face you're seein...but ah ain' contagious no more...but you expose a trueborn Clannah, an' those survival rates drop to ten percent, and they never git non-contagious, even after they's done whupped th' illness phase an' ain' in danger of dying no more."

"so you're letting the ones that survive...live with people?" a young man in the Chahar MTM's colors asked.

"ayup. they're still people." Debra said, "an' we still can use what they know an' can still do, and it wouldn' be right to turn them away-not when they're willin' to immigrate, integrate, and marry in.  The docs have a theory thet it's th' overbreedin' done it to 'em-no junk DNA, so the virus hangs 'round instead of being metabolized-their kids, in theory, should be okay, not carriers-but that's only if they marry in an' have normal kids...Ah won' countenance murder nor genocide, an' ah am of th' belief neither does the Archon."

"Do you know what the Clans have done?" the young man stepped forward, and Carlos' posture shifted slightly to a 'ready' status.

Debra met the young man's eyes, "My father fought them from '49 to '52." she said, "Ah dam-well do...an' it wasn' th' Clans killed seven billion or more thus farly, including most of my homeworld." she stepped forward, "You're from Chahar, an' your folks had it hard, but I watched my world die. up close. Seein' it, smellin' it. Burn pits filled with thousands of bodies, unburied dead in the streets, people crazed in despair and sickness doing unspeakable things to anyone they could catch."  she slapped her holster, "This ain' decorative, suh-et was necessary an' in some parts of my homeworld, it is still necess'ry."

the young Hauptmann from Chahar met her eyes, and they locked.  Debra held his gaze, until...he averted his eyes, "Many pardons, Baroness...I spoke out of turn."

"Forgiv'n." Debra told him.

"Baroness Debra MacAulliffe!" another Liveried servant-this time, a graying man with a stack of service-stripes on his uniform.

"Heah." Deb answered.

"It is time." the old man said.

The group of heirs and nobles-in-waiting parted like the red sea, and Debra stepped through them, radiate confidence...radiate confidence... she tried to figure out what that was, and how to do it, through the screaming anxiety she was feeling.

« Last Edit: 29 March 2016, 02:12:30 by Cannonshop »

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #102 on: 28 March 2016, 13:04:05 »
Nha Tranh, Kowloon, same day.

"She's swearing in right now." Elizabeth Ngo sulked, "Swearing in, and I can't be there for her."

Kelli shrugged as she prepared the modified dosages.  "You made the call, your grace...she should be fine, Margaret Doons prepared you for yours."

Liz sighed, "AND I made a mess of it." Liz groused, "What works out here doesn't work in Tharkad society."

Kelli sighed and handed the injectors to her Lord.  "You said 'Peter will be better'-and you told us it was because he was such an outsider, he'd already made mistakes and paid for them."

"I think he is-or will be." Liz said, "But he's got that whole nest of vindictive bitches at the Triad, people he can't fire because he needs them, people he can't trust and can't fire because there's no ready replacement, and the ones who think he's a fool they can manipulate."

"Can they?" Kelli asked..

"I...don't know." Elizabeth said, "I really don't know, and that bothers me.  Katherine was vain enough to be predictable, Victor, for all his glory-hounding ways, was kind of dim and the picture of a battalion commander jumped up beyond his competency."

"He won the war." Kelli noted.

"He started the war in the first place." Liz stated, "instead of doing the practical thing and just killing the bitch, he burned half the realm to the ground and split the loyalties of the military right in the face of an enemy that would and predictably did exploit the vacuum his tantrum created."  Liz injected herself, "I have no use for Victor Steiner-Davion, and less for Katherine, so Peter is my only viable option...is this going to hurt the baby?"

"Hell of a question to ask after you've taken it, Your grace-no, it shouldn't. Para-endorphine Simplex doesn't stimulate production, it temporarily increases reception of endorphins, it's actually designed to mimic natural endorphins.  It's milder than what you were using, but that's good-"

"I won't develop a tolerance as fast." Liz nodded, "What about balance in-vitro?"

"Shouldn't be a problem, we're not playing with Thalidomide here."  Kelli told her, "The Clan doctors insist it's safe for infants in the womb, when properly handled."

"It goddam better be." Liz stated, "My child will not be born a junkie...now, my schedule?"

"Meetings with the Coast Guard Admiral to discuss relief efforts on several worlds, a budget committee meeting at noon, and a review of the expansion programme at five." Kelli told her, "Your husband has insisted upon a dinner meeting to discuss integration issues, I scheduled you for a table at LaFollette's for Eight PM..."

"What about the domestic quarantine issue?" Liz asked.

"We're at thirty million dead so far." Kelli told her, "Which is within expected parameters.  Doctor Huyn thinks she's found a way to improve survival rates, that will be in your meeting with Admiral Li."

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #103 on: 28 March 2016, 17:29:13 »
Getting better... as the Jihad moves inexorably closer...

By the way- what happened to the SLS Cordon Caffrey ?  Recovered, left in place?
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

croaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #104 on: 28 March 2016, 17:53:22 »

By the way- what happened to the SLS Cordon Caffrey ?  Recovered, left in place?

I'm sure we'll find out in due time. :)

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #105 on: 28 March 2016, 19:58:53 »

I have a feeling it was recovered, due to the fact that the only thing mentioned as being wrong were blown seals and the salvage crew said they had a spare set.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #106 on: 29 March 2016, 03:16:57 »
Pressbox, Royal Palace, 23 June, 3067, 1700 Hours...

"...had it Hard, but I watched my world die. up close. Seein' it, smellin' it. Burn pits filled with thousands of bodies, unburied dead in the streets, people crazed in despair and sickness doing unspeakable things to anyone they could catch...

Olin Sennart, DBS' correspondent from the Royal Palace hit the stop button.  "Do we have confirmation of this? Please tell me there's supporting information..."

His Producer nodded, "there's confirmation from the outbreak reports, a lot of it was kept off the air, but it's real."

"She'd be perfect, if she didn't look like..that...and if she didn't have that atrocity of an accent." Mona, his 'partner host' for The Social Standing noted.

"NO, the accent is perfect." he said, "here's the real price of the civil war standing right there in front of the cameras, Mona-not to mention the 'rags to riches' story!  she said her father was a political prisoner-a prisoner of conscience, and the angle is that the old Duke of Arluna was openly known to be a Victor supporter-it underlines how incredibly important Peter's stand against both of his siblings really is, and again, the price of the war between Kathrine and Victor..."

"You're seeing prizes where there aren't any, Ollin." Mona snapped, "look at her face.  Let me tell you exactly what the public will do when they see it-they'll tune out, she's got great bones, great hair, and looks like an extra from Planet of the Dead.  add the hillbilly accent and all it's going to do, is assure ma and pa Schultz that the Archon is throwing any half-educated rube hillbilly into the Peerage willy-nilly."

"I disagree." their Producer/engineer Pyke stated, "This is pure Germanium here, Ollin's right.  First, ya got the sympathy angle, then you've got the 'rise to obscurity' angle, plus she's got controversial backing with her noble sponsor Liz Ngo-who didn't show for the swearing, but Maggie Doons Did...and let me check...yup...and we've got her making a big contribution to the B'nai-B'rith Social Welfare association, and supporting a serving Lyran soldier who's just lost their family...only down side is..."

"No dirt." Mona snapped.

"You just laid out the dirt." Pyke commented, "So did Ollin.  Her parents supported Katherine, but she's being ennobled by Peter, she's from a poorer background, but she's got a track record and serious support from two of the biggest scandal-generators in the Alliance...it writes itself, especially with the Contagion angle, and there's the Clanner angle-look at how she's dressed and tell me she doesn't look like she could've been a Kell Hound in a different life."

"look, they're summoning her..." Ollin said, "Pyke, I'll take the throneroom action live." Ollin got up.

"No, look, Ollin, you're a great host, but let Pyke's cameras handle it." Mona admonished, "let's see how she performs before you start the process of sainting her."

Mona watched the girl's walk.  "She's scared to death." the seasoned reporter observed, "See the hesitation?"

"Trapped animal shoulders." Pyke confirmed.

The Throneroom...

Peter was having a similar thought as the girl advanced into the throne room, reached the center of the inlaid Commonwealth Fist, and dropped to one Knee.

"Deborah Jane MacAulliffe, you are summoned here and you have come." Peter said from the throne.  "TO be elevated to the Peerage.  Do you solemnly swear your Loyalty to the Lyran State, it's People and it's government."

"Ah-I swear." Debra peeped out.

"Do you swear to obey the Laws of the Lyran State, and to faithfully and honorably execute the orders of your legitimate superiors?"

"I swear." she said again.

"Do you swear your life, fortunes, and fealty to your nation, placing it above yourself, and foreswear any prior allegiance?"

"I swear." Debra said.

"Do you swear to uphold the laws, traditions, and customs of your nation to the best of your ability, up unto and including your life?"

"I swear."

"Do you swear to support and defend the HONOR of the Lyran State, it's people, and it's legitimate government up to and including your life?"

"I swear."

"Rise." Peter said, and stepped down from the throne, "Let me get a good look at you."

up close, he could see the damage the plague had done to her far better.  The permanently bloodshot eyes, struggling in the bright lights, the webwork tracery of dark and light veins, the way the darker veins blackened her lips and hollowed her eyesockets, the permanent redness around her nostrils and ears, and inside that patchwork, the remnants of a pale, clear complexion. 

He met her eyes, and held them.

"I accept your service to the realm, Baroness Deborah Jane MacAulliffe, and elevate you, and your house to the post of Baron of the world of Arluna." He told her, and took her right hand in his, calluses meeting callluses.  "Welcome to the Peerage.  I will expect you to continue in your exceptional work."

He turned to the galleries, "Hear this, today, the 23rd Day of October, 3067, by my hand as Archon of the Lyran Alliance, on behalf of our nation and our people, I do elevate House MacAulliffe to the seat of Arluna, displacing and replacing the prior overlords of that world, Let none undo what I have done."

He leaned close, and whispered, "You can breathe now, that's the worst of it."

"N't th' sem form'la was used with Liz." she muttered back.

"that's because you haven't been crucifying people." he told her with a wink.  "alright, ah, we have a few more to go, but tonight, by tradition, the newly elevated Nobles will participate in a gathering here for the purposes of socializing and recieving traditional instruction on their new responsibilities." Peter was more addressing the cameras, Deb realized.

Then, with a firm hand on her shoulder, the Archon told her, "Go ahead and wait with the rest-your companion will be joining you."

Debra glanced nervously, and peter subtly directed her to a door opposite the one she entered through.

She managed not to run.

"Next?" Peter said, as he mounted the Throne.

Apartment 23, Pfiel Gardens, Tharkad City...

Giao was huddled up against Pol's chest on the couch, watching the news with him. 

"...archon took a personal interest in the swearing ceremony for some of the newly elevated nobles, particularly the new Noble administrator for the world of Arluna, Baroness Debra MacAulliffe..." The DBS reporter blathered...but both Pol, and Giao, were watching the newsticker on the bottom of the screen.

"You should've been there." she said.

"No." Pol told her, "Deb did fine, and she knows this is more important...are you ready to face it again?"

"no." she told him, "Not tonight...the locals showed, and it was...appropriate, but it didn't feel right." she stated, "I appreciate they tried..."

"that include me?" Pol asked.

"I...I'm really grateful for you." she murmured into his chest.

Pol was quiet, and he held her until she went to sleep.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #107 on: 29 March 2016, 05:54:55 »
Elizabeth House, Nha Tranh, 00:15 hours, 24 October, 3067...

"...proof you've got a problem with the Word of Blake." Nathan said, laying the transcript on the table.  "I find Li's report unsettling."

Liz nodded, cradling a hot cup of Herbal Tea, her night-dress wrapped around her knees with her feet tucked up and under.  "Yeah." she said, "You're using contractions now..."

Nathan cocked his head, "I find the situation may warrant it." he told her, "Whether the attempt on your life is genuine, or merely a set up for a move for political leverage, they have chosen to act in a distinctly disgraceful way."

Elizabeth placed her cup on the coffee table with care.  "Either way threatens my child." she stated, "I can't let it go un-answered-but the problem is crafting an appropriate answer.  As we're sitting here, the Star League's upcoming Whitting Conference is set to promote both the Blakists, and the Taurians, to full membership-that will make them formal allies of the Lyran Alliance. an overt move...would be bad, and probably wouldn't work."

He snorted, "Covert operations as an option are...limited, according to your own Admiral." he told her.

"I know." Liz grimmaced, "and we don't have their operations penetrated-hell, I don't even know for certain where the order really came from."

"Who benefits?" he asked.

"that's a good question." Liz stated, "Who stands to benefit off of either me dead, or fouling up my relationship with my own assets?  Me dead is a pretty decent list and includes most of my commercial competitors, but I'm still in a precarious position with the central government and I have next to nothing in terms of influence on Tharkad since I can't leave Kowloon."

"Your sponsor..."

"Maggie's busy with Deb." Liz stated, "Besides, trying to get at Maggie doons through me, makes as much sense as trying to get at Marthe Pryde through you." she shook her head, "There's something we're missing, or not seeing.  The Terrans always have at least three games they're playing-Grandad used to say 'never send anything on HPG you didn't want the Primus to read.'..."

"Useful paranoia." Nathan told her.

"Yeah." Liz nodded, "So...we're missing their game, we know they're moving lots of materiel to attack the Clans, and since they're moving it, the attack is soon...could they think I'm a conduit through you?"

Nathan shrugged, "It would be reasonable." he noted, "The Red Corsair precedent in the fifties, for example, or Wolf's Dragoons' original mission."

She smiled at him, "If I didn't know my husband, I'd even think you were." she stated, "But you're not-you have...or had...an actual Watch spy on your staff for a reason-and she was probably running agents all over your command, and later, all over Kowloon...but I don't recieve Strategic intel anymore-not with you here, it wouldn't net your former associates much to keep reading your progress reports, since none of what you can send is anything they can't see using a spyship or watching DBS News."

"I believe Kael Pershaw prefers Coventry Broadcast News." Nathan said, "DBS is too...commercial."

Liz laughed.  "Nathan, you're making it very hard to keep hating you." she said, "Stop it...I'm going to bed now."

"What about the threat?" he asked.

"as long as our children are safe, and their inheritance secured, and my world is safe..." Liz stopped in the hall, "as long as those things are done, I could let the rest of the galaxy burn-I have little time left to me, and I can't afford to waste it on enemies I can't reach to strike at.  Their plan is foiled from the get-go, and we're alerted to the danger now."

"By your leave, Wife, I will stay the night-to assure the safety of our child, of course." He told her after a moment.

"That's fine...you'll have to share a bed with me-the guest pillows are still in the wash and I don't have the spare blanket."

"Bed? well...as a replacement for this comfortable couch, I suppose it's not that bad." he stood, and followed her into the bedroom.

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #108 on: 29 March 2016, 10:34:19 »
WoB is playing a properly complex game here.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf

croaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #109 on: 29 March 2016, 11:50:20 »
Liz has had her biggest worry - children - taken off her head, and has had the chance extended of a possible life extension for herself.

And on top of that she's getting laid regularly.

The woman is definitely mellowing.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #110 on: 29 March 2016, 13:32:11 »
Coast Guard Medical, Hazen Building, Hue, 0900 Hours, 24 October, 3067...

"The retrovirals seem to be working." Kelli Whyte reported, "I don't think Liz has noticed it yet."

"Well, that's good-it means she might not have us all shot." Dr. Mai Huyn commented, "She declined the experimental series treatment."

"She didn't specifically refuse." Kelli countered, "but you're right she's going to start noticing-she hasn't had a seizure in nearly a week, and the baby seems to be developing normally with the booster series."

Barnaard, one of their remaining Clanner doctors, looked up, "The infant should be fine-if anything, better, the boosters are mostly geared to fortifying healthy development of neurons."

"If it works, it'll be worth a Nobel." Mai commented, "Not that we could admit what we did, or publish."

Barnaard folded his arms, "At least I can-and I have an excuse if she gets angry-for once, being from a Clan background at least covers me on that score-Nathan Roshak ordered me to do it."

"We don't have that luxury." Kelli noted, "We'll have to hope she's in a forgiving mood when she figures out what we're doing."

"Any success?" Kelli asked.

"On the Flu front?" Barnaard shrugged, "We're on the seventeenth formulation so far, modeling says it should be at least somewhat effective for increasing survival rates past the break-even goal of forty percent.  We're distributing it in Camranh and New Saigon on Kowloon, Arcology fifty three on Winter, and Doris City on Miquelon, Dr. Huyn and I have already begun examining a variant we're terming so creatively 'eighteen Alpha'.  The major challenge still being, making Clan genetics compatible-the enhanced immunities means their bodies, which ignore the 21b virus, don't ignore the retroviral, and my predecessors designed that immune system very, very well-I'm considering the use of Immune-Blockers to get the retroviral to take."

"Tricky move." Mai said, staring into the screen of an electron microscope, "I'm still going to insist my strategy's more likely to work in the long term-assimilate, breed it out of the genome. one, maybe two more generations and it's history-just another weird strain of influenza that was catastrophic when it turned up, until it became a childhood annoyance."

"My colleague is entirely too enamoured of holistic remedies." He cracked.

"well...consider that non-holistic approaches with a short view got us into this mess?" Mai reminded him, "More specifically, got you into this mess-a more open approach and your Clan might've not abjured their entire relief effort in a panic...or they'd have at least shown some goddam patience."

Huyn turned from the scope, "Her Grace's next series of injections is in the cooler over there, it's labeled." she stated, "Remember to follow the instructions when you're administering-there's some slack built in, but not a lot.  I'll be expecting more progress reports on this side-project, and don't forget to get her into the Clinic for her Ob-Gyn appointment so we can track the development of the baby."

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #111 on: 29 March 2016, 16:24:11 »
Interesting, there seem to be all sorts of benefits to the treatment.  Wonder how that'll affect the WoB plans.

Living in harmony with Clanners is NOT something they approve of.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #112 on: 29 March 2016, 19:20:20 »
  Well, the last time we got into the Jihad timeframe, the Blakers did drop a fair few nukes on Kowloon, for reasons that escape me at the moment.  If they have a go at the Falcon enclave this time around — especially if they miss and get ‘loyal’ ’Loonie population-centres instead/as well — it would do much to fuel the seething hatred we saw in the previous iteration(s), which was hot enough that Kowloonese conscripts were willing to walk to the Isle of Skye to kill ‘Robes’.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #113 on: 29 March 2016, 21:14:49 »
  Well, the last time we got into the Jihad timeframe, the Blakers did drop a fair few nukes on Kowloon, for reasons that escape me at the moment.  If they have a go at the Falcon enclave this time around — especially if they miss and get ‘loyal’ ’Loonie population-centres instead/as well — it would do much to fuel the seething hatred we saw in the previous iteration(s), which was hot enough that Kowloonese conscripts were willing to walk to the Isle of Skye to kill ‘Robes’.
I'm not sure even if the Wobbies just nuke Falcons that Kowloonese conscripts won't be signing up to kill them.  WMD on Kowloon is bad, and well toothpicks here we come
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #114 on: 30 March 2016, 01:19:09 »
Boojum Yards, Slip 4, November 3, 3067...

"...may she protect and defend her nation and her crew, I christen this vessel in the name of a lost place, gone but never to be forgotten."  Jumpship travel might have been ill-advised, but a slow accelleration to escape velocity followed by a two-day slow cruise was still quite possible this time of year.

Elizabeth pressed the button that 'swings the bottle'  in the vacuum-slip, "I christen thee, LCGS Dinh Diep, hope in the face of tragedy." she announced.

The gathered workers, Coast Guardsmen, and witnesses applauded, as the second of the 'primitive core' ships was propelled on compressed gas out of the slip.

It took a few minutes, but then, the exterior marker lights came up, and the thrusters started firing, orienting and stabilizing the sixty thousand tonne vessel.

[to be continued in: "Ngoverse v. 4.0; a Spreading Darkness"]

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #115 on: 30 March 2016, 03:48:11 »
Yes, the last entry was short, and yes, Deb was left on Tharkad at the end of the installment.

Part of it, is that I really didn't feel like writing another twenty pages (November, early December) of sappy romance material for major characters, part of it is that mundane political manuevers, while they can be exciting in and of themselves when written properly, aren't something I can do a lot of proper writing OF.

Not, at least, and prevent the major characters from getting even MORE early warning of what's going to happen at the Whitting Conference on Tharkad in December of 3067.

This is especially true, because everyone already knows the next 'main event' is the Jihad, Comstar/Word of Blake's incredible tantrum.

'Spreading Darkness' will cover another fairly short (relative) stretch of spacetime-it actually requires me to do some researching before I really start cranking on it.

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #116 on: 30 March 2016, 15:33:36 »
Cannonshop,

Thank you for a great story so far.
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #117 on: 30 March 2016, 18:39:39 »
Another well written tale.  Thank you.

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #118 on: 30 March 2016, 22:25:53 »
Thank you very much for sharing this with everyone. Its very cool. How something very silly to think about. How about the 4 different versions of liz getting together and sharing thier thoghts from thier timelines.....and some hpw learning about cannonwritting......the poor guy running from 4 pissed off lizs.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #119 on: 01 April 2016, 10:04:02 »
Thank you very much for sharing this with everyone. Its very cool. How something very silly to think about. How about the 4 different versions of liz getting together and sharing thier thoghts from thier timelines.....and some hpw learning about cannonwritting......the poor guy running from 4 pissed off lizs.
Why run, he would only end up dead alone and tired.