Author Topic: 'Mech of the Week: TNZ-N* Tian-zong  (Read 7398 times)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
'Mech of the Week: TNZ-N* Tian-zong
« on: 27 May 2017, 16:22:29 »
Removed until further notice.
« Last Edit: 09 March 2018, 18:40:43 by Empyrus »

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
Re: 'Mech of the Week: TNZ-N* Tian-zong
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2017, 17:08:37 »
A mech that's certainly looking good, but.... I dunno, reading about it, I'm just not that impressed.
It's good, but I have a feeling I've seen all of this already. And, more than anything, I have a feeling there's nothing quite to be said about it.
Solid article, however.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2017, 18:15:53 »

I have used it before, it is quite solid. Just keep it in the back, with the friend, while the rest of the force keeps the enemy away/busy.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2017, 18:54:33 »
At what point can we expect the Capellans to admit that they've run out of ideas for more stealth/gauss mechs?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2017, 19:04:26 »
At what point can we expect the Capellans to admit that they've run out of ideas for more stealth/gauss mechs?
Super-Heavy version of the Tian-zong but with 4 Clan Gauss Rifles?
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2017, 19:38:13 »
Well, at least that ought to silence the complaints about Gausszilla.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2017, 22:26:28 »
I like the Tian-Zong.  It's nothing super-flashy, doesn't really break new ground, but it's solid, dependable, and bothersome (if you come up against one).  I honestly think I like the N2 best, despite its lack of headcappers.  The steady rain of 8 point hits from beyond most people's ability to reply, is still potent, and less prone to make the enemy go "Kill it with fire!" and make a special effort to take it out.  I would t want to duel a Vulpes in an N2, though.  The way it's fluffed as a commander's ride, I'm surprised there's no Command Console variant.  Shouldn't be hard.  I also wonder how long it'll be before we see some N2s refitted with clantech ERLLs (whether Cappies with salvaged Davion lasers, or Davions with salvaged Cappie chassis).  That would really be fun.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2017, 22:52:27 »
Ah, right, i forgot to mention that Clan ERLL mod idea.

This was a section i left out from the article:
I don't normally mention potential improvements but the TNZ-N2 offers too good an opportunity. Should the Capellans get their hands on Clan ER large lasers, either from Sea Foxes or by capturing some from the Federated Suns, the TNZ-N2's Inner Sphere-grade ER large lasers could be replaced with the Clan versions, and the space and weight freed could be used for additional double heat sinks. The light Gauss rifle and Clan ER large lasers have matching ranges after all... But perhaps this would be too evil even for the Capellans.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #8 on: 27 May 2017, 23:07:30 »
I like it, it's mass produced double Gauss Rifle trooper.  A ranged machine that stays in background giving cover fire and relying on stealth keep it safe while it's likely going slow or stopped to catch enemies by surprised.

I know the light gauss rifles aren't that beloved, but i like the sniping abilities that comes from them.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #9 on: 27 May 2017, 23:08:28 »
A mech that's certainly looking good, but.... I dunno, reading about it, I'm just not that impressed.
It's good, but I have a feeling I've seen all of this already. And, more than anything, I have a feeling there's nothing quite to be said about it.
Solid article, however.
This 'Mech is another case of WizKids giving us something similar, yet still different. Both the N1 and N2 variants appeared as uniques on MWDA dossier cards which spelled out the tonnage, engine type, speed, armor, structure, and weapons. When that's all been done for you there's not a lot of room to work with.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #10 on: 27 May 2017, 23:27:57 »
A key advantage of the LGRs is their long medium range, which gives it a chance to slot in at a +2 while opponents bemoan a +6. It's a narrow band, sure,  but deadly, and makes it easier for a poorer shot to use the mech to snipe.

Of course, regular GRs have never been a bad thing.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 29 May 2017, 00:32:15 »
Repost: TNZ-N1s feature often in my 3130s Opfors with mixed results. Sometimes they smash my forces. Sometimes they don't do as well, usually when I take extreme care in using cover to get closer, reducing the advantage of the Gauss + Stealth combo.

Should be compared to the contemporary FWL Carronade.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 29 May 2017, 02:35:22 »
Should be compared to the contemporary FWL Carronade.
Another cut part from my article was a list of comparable contemporary 'Mechs. Got cut because the only one i came up with was the Carronade. But i may have been too strict in my search for post-Jihad heavy dual-Gauss 'Mechs.
Interesting that the Carronade is a heavy trooper, where the Tian-zong is a command unit. They're not that different but it seems the CapCon and FWL have some doctrinal differences, how to build 'Mechs and how to use them.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #13 on: 29 May 2017, 07:54:34 »
I remember reading the Patriot Mech's fluff that (At least in Duchy of Regulus) that they wanted their commanders stay out the fight by just using Mechs with long range weapons vs getting up close and personal.  And likely dead and causing the unit to fall apart.  Tian-zong is long range fighter as well, though no artillery like touting a Arrow launcher.  I think there some similarites to deploying Mechs but your right not by alot when comparing the Capellans and FWL.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

misterpants

• Warrant Officer
  • Bringing you the beats and grooves of Xin Sheng
« Reply #14 on: 29 May 2017, 18:16:44 »
This 'Mech is another case of WizKids giving us something similar, yet still different. Both the N1 and N2 variants appeared as uniques on MWDA dossier cards which spelled out the tonnage, engine type, speed, armor, structure, and weapons. When that's all been done for you there's not a lot of room to work with.

More to that point, I was going to comment about how I would have been interested in an Tian-zong LRM variant, but after some digging the Shen Yi -5B, another 4/6 stealth Liao DA-era chassis at 5 tons lighter, does it.

The comparison comment to the Cataphract also sparked some digging; even more-so than the Vindicator, the Cataphract in all forms is gone from the CC's MUL availability list by the late Republic period.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #15 on: 29 May 2017, 18:22:00 »
And the WK dossiers date back to 2003.

It is a pocket pillager. Great little mech.

The 3050 mechs (IS) do not have any faction data forthe republic eras. That means we do not know if they are around or not. (I burned out before getting there)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 29 May 2017, 20:57:42 »
3145 RATs put Cataphracts still in Liao (and Magistracy, i think) lists. And i think even the old Davion Cataphract variant is around. Considering the Cataphract formed the backbone of Liao homegrown heavies for most of 31st century, i figure we see Tian-zongs leading Cataphracts well into Dark Ages.

JadedFalcon

• Lieutenant
  • Wins at Battleteching
« Reply #17 on: 30 May 2017, 00:26:48 »
The MUL is simply incomplete in some areas.

FM3145 does a good job of describing the heavy mech situation in the CapCon, noting that the primary competitor to the Cataphract as the signature heavy is the Tian Zong. And to be fair, the Tian Zong does what the CTF-4L does, just with a second Gauss instead of the ERPPC.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #18 on: 31 May 2017, 23:42:06 »
I like the mech, simple twin Gauss platform that can punch someone in the face (if you decide not to use your lasers) 
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #19 on: 01 June 2017, 06:04:18 »
Ah, right, i forgot to mention that Clan ERLL mod idea.

This was a section i left out from the article:
I don't normally mention potential improvements but the TNZ-N2 offers too good an opportunity. Should the Capellans get their hands on Clan ER large lasers, either from Sea Foxes or by capturing some from the Federated Suns, the TNZ-N2's Inner Sphere-grade ER large lasers could be replaced with the Clan versions, and the space and weight freed could be used for additional double heat sinks. The light Gauss rifle and Clan ER large lasers have matching ranges after all... But perhaps this would be too evil even for the Capellans.

XTRO: Republic of the Sphere 3 has the Lich which does combine LGRs and Clan ER Large Lasers, so apparently it's not too evil.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 01 June 2017, 07:31:35 »

XTRO: Republic of the Sphere 3 has the Lich which does combine LGRs and Clan ER Large Lasers, so apparently it's not too evil.

That thing doesn't have Angel-powered stealth armor and human pilot. OK, it has HarJel but still not impressed. (Wish we'd get stats for the Blakist version of the Lich :/ )

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #21 on: 04 June 2017, 22:02:17 »
The deceptive thing about the tian zong is the use of the augmented lance. you got two battle armor squads like shen longs, trinitys or fa shih (or imported salamanders of you are nasty) or two tanks like po IIs, and you got some up close defense for your commander/sniper, and it fits inside ccaf docterine
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk