Author Topic: A Call to War: 15th Dracon Regiment  (Read 1804 times)

Lysenko

• Lieutenant
  • 15th Dracon: A Proud Tradition of Service
    • Polar Bear Dreams & Stranger Things
A Call to War: 15th Dracon Regiment
« on: 09 September 2015, 12:24:01 »
Ok, I'm in like Flynn! I've been procrastinating working up a company, so here we are. Without further to-do, I present my goal for the CtW Challenge!

Baker Company of the 2/15th Dracon Regiment
"High Speed, Low Drag!"

This is a snapshot of Baker Co. of the 15th Dracon's 2nd Battalion in 3030 on the Eve of the Andurien Wars and the subsequent invasion of Gunther by Canopian forces in November, 3030. My organization is a little different than most. Each battalion has a HHC (Headquarters and Headquarters Company) for the battalion staff. I just handwave and call it SLDF legacy. :) Also, I used the WW2 phonetic alphabet (Abel, Baker, Charlie, etc.); it also feels more SLDF-y to me. YMMV.

Looking at the sheets, I have a lot (33%) of Unseens. Oops. Oh well, it's ok to post them them as a privatus, so I shall. Technically, I probably do have a spare unseen Wolvie, but I think I'm painting up a Wolvie II because I really like that sculpt. The only mini I'm not sure I have is the Whitworth, but I should have one in the boxed set.

The terms I used for viability were Comstar, Merc, CC, and IS General. Surprisingly, none of my choices were Comstar tagged (SLDF legacy, remember). and the only 'Mech that does not fit the parameters is the -2M Ostroc, which we'll write off as either salvage or a former Marik national in this mercenary company.

I want a pretty quick force so I went with a Pursuit lance, a Striker Lance, and a Direct Fire lance. The Fire lance is the slowest, but three of the 'Mechs are jump-capable. Also, skill of all units is 3, otherwise I'd be way under the 360-400 mark (318); the current total is 381.

1st Lance (Striker); 142 PV
Wolverine -6R           35 PV
Shadow Hawk -2H    36 PV
Griffin -1N                36 PV
Ostroc -2M               35 PV

All are 10" MV and most jump that far, too...the poor Shadow Hawk is stuck at a 6" jump.

2nd Lance (Pursuit); 93 PV
Mongoose -67       23 PV
Crab -20                32 PV
Clint 1-2R              20 PV
Commando -2D    18 PV

The Crab is the slow man this time at 10". However, only 75% of a pursuit lance has to be 12" or higher; he'll do fine and bring some backbone to the unit.

3rd Lance (Direct Fire); 146 PV
Marauder -4R      42 PV
Catapult -C1        40 PV
Vindicator -1R     34 PV
Whitworth -1H     30 PV

How, can you not use an Unseen Marauder?...the rule of cool intrudes! 3/4 jump and speed is 8" but these are the damage dealers, such as they are.

All-in-all, I wanted a lighter force, fast and apparently veteran (all at skill 3). The other companies are where the hitting power is located. I think of this company as a "recon in force."
« Last Edit: 09 September 2015, 21:45:04 by Lysenko »

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
Re: Call to War: 15th Dracon Regiment
« Reply #1 on: 09 September 2015, 12:34:07 »
It's really hard to come up with a proper Succession Wars-era force without any Unseen. Hopefully soon it'll be a non-issue.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Lysenko

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 09 September 2015, 12:45:29 »
Hey, I loves my Unseen. :)

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #3 on: 09 September 2015, 13:25:59 »
Don't get me wrong, I've got dozens of the little metal infringing bastards. ;)
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Lysenko

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 09 September 2015, 21:42:58 »
And here they are ready for the Mech factory. A mixture of metal, classic plastic, and new plastic.

The only one not shown is the Ostroc...currently misplaced, but I'll find one this weekend. I have two Unseen ones and a Reseen in blister.

And I've never noticed it before, but the Unseen Griffin and Shadow Hawk are very much alike in stance.

Register