Author Topic: Kai Allard Liao quotes  (Read 4446 times)

GermanSumo

• Sergeant
Kai Allard Liao quotes
« on: 06 March 2017, 21:47:14 »
hi folks,

i been unsuccesfully trying to find some quoteworty remarks from Kai... does anybody here know some?

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
Re: Kai Allard Liao quotes
« Reply #1 on: 06 March 2017, 22:10:45 »
As a Stackpole character, he is usually drearily and predictably self-conscious and totally riddled with self-doubt. Not unlike Victor, or Phelan, or Patrick, or morgan (either one). Thankfully, he's not as prone to the totally unbelievable stretches of dialog as those other two are.

He's most interesting when other people are talking about him. When he's on the page and not actually killing something at the moment, Kai is pretty boring and in common with most of Stackpole's writing, he is not very quotable.

Read it cause it's the spine books of the fiction, not because it's very good.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 06 March 2017, 23:53:52 »
He narrates the opening fiction of Wars of the Republic Era.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 07 March 2017, 00:46:24 »
Find the section he is introduced, something about the is the guy that death is afraid of
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

CrazyGrasshopper

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 07 March 2017, 00:50:01 »
He narrates the opening fiction of Wars of the Republic Era.

In that story Kai is much more charismatic than in Stackpole's books.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: 07 March 2017, 01:44:49 »
Yes, not everyone likes Stackpole. Back to the OP
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #6 on: 07 March 2017, 05:40:14 »
"It's for the best, . . . you will be alone. You can be yourself, and that way, when you stumble and fall, no one will be hurt but you."

Stackpole is unlikely to win a Pulitzer Prize, but not everyone dislikes his work.
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

imperator

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 07 March 2017, 08:25:11 »
"It's for the best, . . . you will be alone. You can be yourself, and that way, when you stumble and fall, no one will be hurt but you."

Stackpole is unlikely to win a Pulitzer Prize, but not everyone dislikes his work.

I liked his books. They made the clans story line at least palatable at that time. He doesn't carry well into the modern era, but then again, who does?
Their is no problem Jump Jets and an assault class auto-cannon can't handle.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #8 on: 07 March 2017, 10:11:19 »
Kai: "Excuse me, doctor, I know this is kind of a bad moment, but I have some serious complaints; are you accepting additional patients right now?"
Deidre: "Kai! Is it really you?"
Kai: "Well, either it is me, or the Precentor here is having a very vivid nightmare."
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #9 on: 07 March 2017, 10:35:31 »
Your best bet will be his speech at the Great Gash on Twycross, quoted in part in MechWarrior Tactical Command:

I am Kai Allard-Liao.  I am a killer of men.  This pass is mine to ward.  I offer you a warrior’s death. To any of those who would accept my offer, your smaller companions have destroyed one of my lasers.  I will kill you all, alone or in groups.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #10 on: 07 March 2017, 14:11:51 »
Kai Allard Liao Qoute? "Mom, why the hell did you leave Romano alive?" and "I'll give Victor this tiny monkey necklace I got out of a cracker box. Shorty will never know."
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

GermanSumo

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 07 March 2017, 15:57:03 »
thanks guys. now i have something :) for the next "slightly different"

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #12 on: 07 March 2017, 18:59:56 »
Find the section he is introduced, something about the is the guy that death is afraid of

As I said; cooler when other people talk about him.

As a matter of fact; I think most of Victor's best lines are probably him raving about the guy.

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #13 on: 07 March 2017, 21:19:32 »
I liked his books. They made the clans story line at least palatable at that time. He doesn't carry well into the modern era, but then again, who does?

I liked his books too, and still do.

His work may not be the prize-winning fiction and may not even be the best Battletech fiction of the time (Robert Thurston's Jade Phoenix Trilogy had a bigger impact on me in terms of understanding and accepting the Clan mindset and thus accepting the impact of Clantech on the tabletop game). But Stackpole's work fleshed out the galactic soap opera of the Battletech Universe storyline. It got me emotionally invested in the BTU and has kept me emotionally invested in it for over 20 years.
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 07 March 2017, 21:29:13 »
As I said; cooler when other people talk about him.

As a matter of fact; I think most of Victor's best lines are probably him raving about the guy.

yep
when the future leader of 2 states, raised amongst some of the mightiest warriors and minds known to man is impressed, pay attention
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 07 March 2017, 23:00:02 »
Here's a quote about Kai:

He's the Shinji Ikari of BattleTech.

Crimson Dawn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #16 on: 08 March 2017, 00:21:25 »

Aw that is not fair Kai actually liked his parents and they liked him. 

Also he is not that whiny.  Self depreciating to the point of you saying "really" but I don't think of him as being that level of whiny.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #17 on: 08 March 2017, 02:07:57 »

... and Mad Max is the David Lo Pan of Battletech, whats your point :P
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #18 on: 08 March 2017, 16:50:56 »
yep
when the future leader of 2 states, raised amongst some of the mightiest warriors and minds known to man is impressed, pay attention

Uh...well...again; part of my problem with Stackpole; they have almost identical personalities. Ditto the others I mentioned. There are many paths, but all lead to these disconnected, unbelievable individuals whose main character trait after producing vast amounts of dubious dialog is crushing self-doubt.

Victor was raised amongst some of the mightiest warriors and minds known to man and it's effect on him was to produce a man who for most of his history was most in touch with his self-defined limitations as a man, a ruler and a warrior.

It's my problem with Stackpole and I wanted to love these characters, because through a fluke; I came to them from the writing of others than the man who created them. Basically if you are a character in a Stackpole BT story and you have honest self-confidence or even basic appreciation for yourself that would not be indicative of severe depression, then you must be either a villain or a supporting character.

My headcannon is that part of the reason that Victor and Kai hit it off so well is that they are so very cut from the same cloth in that way. They must build eachother up and for some reason, coming from the other, the praise sticks better than it must from elsewhere.

A.E. Housman

E. Icaza

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 08 March 2017, 17:09:27 »
Stackpole keeps writing the same novels over and over again, just in different settings.  I tried to read "Rogue Squadron", but had to put the first book down when I found myself saying, "That's Victor.  That's Kai.  That's Phelan..."  Also, he had the unfortunate habit of taking other characters written by other writers (Marthe Pryde and Elias Crichell) comes to mind and making them subordinate to the "coolness" of his characters.

That said, Kai was a fairly cool character and his Twycross quote is a good one.   Almost Clan in bravado, but then he cheated, like too many Spheroids.  I'll second that the characterization from Historical: Wars of the Republic is much better. 

My favorite of his quotes from there is...

My name is Kai Allard-Liao, and this is what happened on the day I died. Now, I know what you’re thinking: “Kai, you can’t die. You’re the narrator of this story. The narrator can’t die.” Okay, so you’ve got me on a technicality there. I’m not actually dead… yet. I am, however, certain that I’m mortally wounded."

And...

“We’re glad you’re here, sir,” Higashi said. Smiles and nods echoed through the room. “So what’s the plan?” I leaned in and let my voice carry a conspiratorial tone.
“We’re going to kill Capellans.”
« Last Edit: 08 March 2017, 17:16:52 by E. Icaza »
The Clans: the Star League the Inner Sphere deserves, not the one it needs.

Lord greystroke

• Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 08 March 2017, 17:11:21 »
beachhead1985 get over the Stackpole thing man some like his work some don't,
at lest give the OP some help or start new topic saying I hate Stackpole

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #21 on: 08 March 2017, 23:14:06 »
Stackpole keeps writing the same novels over and over again, just in different settings.  I tried to read "Rogue Squadron", but had to put the first book down when I found myself saying, "That's Victor.  That's Kai.  That's Phelan..."  Also, he had the unfortunate habit of taking other characters written by other writers (Marthe Pryde and Elias Crichell) comes to mind and making them subordinate to the "coolness" of his characters.

Aw, really? That's a bummer. I've not read them, but I had understood that his SW work was better done. Pity.

beachhead1985 get over the Stackpole thing man some like his work some don't,
at lest give the OP some help or start new topic saying I hate Stackpole

He already said he got what he needed. 11th post from the top, I think?

And hey; I know it, man. My best friend loves the Warrior Trilogy and you should see some of the very real crap I've read and enjoyed. I enjoyed much of Stackpole's work; but admittedly I love BT, even when its written badly. I'm a guy who read all ten (!) books in Craig Sargent's "Last Ranger" series and enjoyed the BT Cartoon, as an example of my high standards of entertainment.

After that any of Stackpole's work looks like gold. And like it or not it set the tone for most of the other novels. There are good reasons for that.

But it doesn't age well at all and the more you read, the more you notice the shortcomings and Kai is a perfect example to bring us back on topic.

What an incredibly cool concept for a character and taken in isolation; how original. Son of a man who was great in many dimensions and a penultimate warrior. He's not the statesman and spymaster his father was, nor as astute as his mother; but incredible skills as a fighter and yet he wallows in self-doubt and his veneer of confidence is so easily shattered outside his element. That's a compelling character right there. Doesn't even matter that most of the time he's not that well-spoken; fine he's human, I call that a character trait.

But that's taken in isolation. I have read every BT novel, pre-dark age. I have read every Stackpole BT story save the one so far released for the HBS game and the one from the special edition of one of the rule books. Many, even most of his characters are like that. He made these guys and even carrying through the basic personality, I can honestly say that other writers do his characters better. I'm not exaggerating when I say this.

Compare the behaviour side by side of Morgan Kell, Patrick Kell, Victor SD, Kai, Phelan and others. You see it over and over and it's boring. Imagine if 70% of the stable of warner bros characters were different flavours of yahoos trying to kill the rest with guns; like Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam.

I think one of the best things to come from Kai has to be David Lear; whose character is logically developed and interesting. Which says a lot for an avowed pacifist in a series about SF warfare. His mom is a caricature though.

A.E. Housman

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 09 March 2017, 00:18:01 »

Really?  I never got that feeling at all.  Now, I read the X-Wing series as they came out, years before I'd heard of BattleTech, maybe it was the temporal separation that kept me from noticing that.  Or something.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Crimson Dawn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #23 on: 09 March 2017, 00:32:27 »
Yea I do not remember X Wing being similar to the Battletech books personally.  In fact while I like Stackpoles Battletech books I was not really into the X Wing books.  I think it was the villain as the Empire was less interesting there than it was in Zhan's Thrawn character.  Or perhaps it was because the X Wing books had more original characters which at the time I was not as in to as the more famous characters that tended to be found in the other stories

E. Icaza

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 09 March 2017, 18:01:53 »
Really?  I never got that feeling at all.  Now, I read the X-Wing series as they came out, years before I'd heard of BattleTech, maybe it was the temporal separation that kept me from noticing that.  Or something.

[/shrug]  Like most literary criticism, it's very subjective.  Feel free to take my observations with a grain of salt.  I'll admit that I was only able to read the first 1 1/2 books.  I did find most of his BT novels to be good reads, just a bit repetitive over time.  There are much better BT authors IMO.
The Clans: the Star League the Inner Sphere deserves, not the one it needs.

UrQuanKzinti

• Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 11 March 2017, 01:12:42 »
hi folks,

i been unsuccesfully trying to find some quoteworty remarks from Kai... does anybody here know some?

"I love you cousin, you're the best man in the Inner Sphere!"
-A collected history of the St. Ives Compact, vol. 2
« Last Edit: 11 March 2017, 01:18:50 by UrQuanKzinti »

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #26 on: 11 March 2017, 03:57:20 »
Your best bet will be his speech at the Great Gash on Twycross, quoted in part in MechWarrior Tactical Command:

I am Kai Allard-Liao.  I am a killer of men.  This pass is mine to ward.  I offer you a warrior’s death. To any of those who would accept my offer, your smaller companions have destroyed one of my lasers.  I will kill you all, alone or in groups.

Best. Batchall. Ever.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #27 on: 11 March 2017, 04:01:11 »
Here we go - previously I only had access to my transcript of "MechWarrior: Tactical Command."  Here's the full quote:

“I am Kai Allard-Liao. I am a killer of men. This pass is mine to ward. I offer those who wish to challenge me a warrior’s death, but I beg an indulgence of those who would accept my offer. Your smaller companions have forced me to exhaust my autocannon ammunition and they destroyed one of my lasers. I have only this club with which to defend myself. I will kill you all, alone or in groups.”

I'm guessing MWTC only quoted Kai in broken sentence fragments and referred to him as "Mystery Man" to avoid the need to pay royalties to Michael Stackpole.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #28 on: 11 March 2017, 10:44:44 »
And let´s not forget THE archetypical Kai Allard-Liao quote ever: "Aww, come on, you´re exaggerating my accomplishments."

That´s him, basically, from "Lethal Heritage" to "Assumption of Risk".
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 12 March 2017, 17:19:38 »
The original question was answered and this thread seems to want to veer vastly off topic it's being locked.

You're welcome to start a critique of the various Stackpole novels in "Off-Topic".
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"