Author Topic: WYSIWYG Minis  (Read 12963 times)

sounguru

• Master Sergeant
  • When all else fails shoot the messenger.
WYSIWYG Minis
« on: 08 September 2011, 02:36:53 »
So since my return to battletech I have gotten into WYSIWYG for a mind set. What that means is my minis have to match the the stats and art if available, this has caused a few problems like with the new Rifleman 7X that came out at Gencon. If the art/mini doesn't match then I have to modify or create a new variant to match or mod the mini to match the art.

For the 7X I came up with a variant that packs a PPC and ER Medium laser in each arm and the back story to support why it exist.

So how many of you are in the same mind set and what is the one mech or tank that you really wish matched the art or stats?

And how many of you are WYSIWYG players?

My current project is a 4 pack of Marsden II variants (since the original stats bite) all modded to fit the new load-outs or back story to explain why it looks the same. I'm also in process on a true 7X mod and a Rattlesnake mod that match the stats I have produced.

The Rattlesnake was always my favorite light mech but was unbalanced and the Jenner mini bites to make it look good with the mods on it. So I'm using a different base and have added 1 small laser to the variant with 3 packs of mediums in the arms and 1 medium under the nose.
« Last Edit: 08 September 2011, 02:38:25 by sounguru »
There would be less humans if they were tastier....

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: WYSIWYG Minis
« Reply #1 on: 08 September 2011, 02:56:48 »
I'm in no way a WYSIWIG player. There are just so many units out there, I'd be crippling myself if I couldn't proxy with another mini or suitable plastic toy/statue of the Buddha/etc. I do enjoy making my own versions of units - I think my scratchbuilt Warlord is much superior to the IWM sculpt ;)

That said, though, I find myself falling victim to a different but related infection - I can no longer enjoy assembling or painting a stock model. I have to mod it - whether as a different omni config, as a variant or XTRO version, or even an "accurised" version of the base model.

Oh, and Sounguru, you're welcome to invent your own backstory for your config, but the RFL-8X - pionered by Joey Nichole and Pink Lady, later taken up by the RAF - is indeed a canon config with ERPPCs, ERMLs and a TC ;)

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Siberian-troll

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 08 September 2011, 03:03:05 »
I'm trying to be close to it.

sounguru

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 08 September 2011, 03:05:02 »
I'm in no way a WYSIWIG player. There are just so many units out there, I'd be crippling myself if I couldn't proxy with another mini or suitable plastic toy/statue of the Buddha/etc. I do enjoy making my own versions of units - I think my scratchbuilt Warlord is much superior to the IWM sculpt ;)

That said, though, I find myself falling victim to a different but related infection - I can no longer enjoy assembling or painting a stock model. I have to mod it - whether as a different omni config, as a variant or XTRO version, or even an "accurised" version of the base model.

Oh, and Sounguru, you're welcome to invent your own backstory for your config, but the RFL-8X - pionered by Joey Nichole and Pink Lady, later taken up by the RAF - is indeed a canon config with ERPPCs, ERMLs and a TC ;)

W.

It isn't that the 7X doesn't exist it is the mini doesn't match the art... So since I'm merc all the way we cobbled together our own version we call the X1 since it is the only one in existence out of parts we had laying around... and some parts we acquired thru other means... So were are running regular PPC's and no TC since them things have GPS tracking and lojack built into them...  :o Plus if the 8X is a variant of the 7X the mini's torso is still wrong and wouldn't match up...

*No officer those gun pods are not from that 7X over there we have had those for years see the guns are not even the same even if they look it... hold on let me find the receipt it is in the cockpit somewhere... *

Here is the X1 older torso newer gun pods and the jump jets... Basically right out of the package with no changes ...

Compared to the 7X art...

« Last Edit: 08 September 2011, 03:23:42 by sounguru »

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • tired ... very tired ...
    • darklined.com
« Reply #4 on: 08 September 2011, 03:24:32 »
Even though I am not a player I am still a big fan of the WYSIWYG mindset. In my opinion this can only be good for BattleTech as a miniature game. I don't like proxies and I feel as long as the proxy mindset dominates (especially at conventions and especially when not even using miniatures ... thank you CSO and others for slowly doing something about this :) ) BattleTech will never be perceived as a tabletop or miniatures game, but a board game and the miniatures will always be frowned upon in some circles.

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 08 September 2011, 04:01:03 »
Budget doesn't have the ability to supply me with every mech I would want or need.  I don't mod anything, have enough trouble getting the canon units glued together properly.

***Fletch goes Googles plastic toy/statue of the Buddha....

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 08 September 2011, 05:06:17 »
I enjoy trying to make WYSIWYG omni configurations and such, but I don't think it really accomplishes anything other than being a fun modeling challenge. I think the game does just fine even if some people don't view it as a "miniatures" game.

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 08 September 2011, 06:41:44 »
<snip> That said, though, I find myself falling victim to a different but related infection - I can no longer enjoy assembling or painting a stock model. <snip>
W.

I'm not so sure if I'm WYSIWYG or just suffering from the same illness as Worktroll..

I think part of it is that several of the minis have such boring/static poses.. They seem like they are posing for class pictures, not combat vehicles in action... Plus the idea of even so much as just a lance of the same kind of 'mech all looking the same, really turns me off. It's what inspired me to start modding all of them (Think: my first lance of 23rd Arcturan with the three unseen Phoenix Hawks).

With all that in mind, it became a natural progression that if on paper it says <this variant>, then I actually make <that variant> when I'm modding/reposing it. I'm not much of a fan of the timeline where it is (pretty much a 3rd Succession war kind of guy), but some of the newer variants are cool. So, instead of modding out my unseen, I've started using reseen as the base to make the variant with (car companies can't seem to go 20 years without changing the whole design look, why not 'mech production facilities)..

I completely get about "if it doesn't match the artwork", because lately I've started pulling out the artwork and adding those little extra touches that are missing from the sculpt..

Modified or not... If I don't have it, I'll proxy something... Whether it is just a different variant, old cardboard counter, or bottle cap... Ya gotta do, what ya gotta do...

And, I also have a habit of coming up with the fluff for my minis... So I seem to have that sickness too.. But if I've taken the time to come up with it, I also tend to take the time to share with others... So keep it coming when you do post.

Caz

dirty harry

• Lieutenant
  • Make my day
« Reply #8 on: 08 September 2011, 07:02:20 »
I am not a fan of WYSIWYG. Mostly because i don't play campaigns always using the same miniatures as well as i don't play a single timeline only. That means, our group would need a very wide array of mechs to keep up with the WYSIWYG idea. Or we would be restricted to a single timeline only, mostly 3025. Another idea not really appealing to me or other players.
Although i still paint minis and buy some from time to time, i don't have the time and money to keep up with a WYSIWYG idea. Although we try to field a WYSIWYG line-up at the next bigger convention over here during November. And it still takes some minis to be painted...

Modding an existing mech into another variant to get a WYSIWYG mini would face another problem: i don't have tons of spareparts or a heavyweight bits box to change a mini into something different. And once again: i don't have the money to spend on tons of extra parts.

So if i have to field a Thunderbolt i field a reseen standard Thunderbolt without any differences between a -5S or a -10M. And - as i don't have a second one - if i have to field a second Thunderbolt, i am forced to field something else. End of WYSIWYG...

Conclusion: WYSIWYG? No thanks.

Siberian-troll

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 08 September 2011, 07:35:22 »

- Smalbox of old-fashoned razors - 30 cents
- Four pieces of sprue from old, cheap model of the plane
- Two pieces of resin-like old PVC - cost me nothing, can be replaced by cheap plastic bit
- Small sheet of fine emery paper - less then dollar
- Flat file - dollar, maybe?
- Half hour of the simple work

I do not think, that I've broken now

VF1LAM

• Major
  • Fifth Crucis Lancers
« Reply #10 on: 08 September 2011, 07:47:53 »
I'm WYSIWYG only to the extent that I think that the miniature should be that particular 'Mech -- but it doesn't have to be the same variant.  So I can use a regular Unseen Marauder to proxy for an even more rare Unseen Marauder II if I have to.  Or I can use a Firestarter to proxy for a Mirage.  etc.
Federated Commonwealth -- One more MechAssault if you want to be free!

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
  • Smallest star in the firmament
« Reply #11 on: 08 September 2011, 07:52:58 »
I try to do some ghetto converting for events and whatnot, because I like to make the experience a little more immersive, you know? I've done a TDR-60-RLA conversion, a WSP-3S, a MAD-7D, a BLR-K3, and a VLK-QD2 in recent memory. I'm not super great at it, but if I can do it, I try to. Basically my only real tools are a diamond saw, a pin vice, and some files. I have no sculpting ability (though I did make the second laser for the Wasp with Green Stuff), and I can't do anything too elaborate as a consequence.

As for WYSIWYG - one can't adhere too closely to it, or you'd never be able to field a Warlord, not even if you owned the mini.
Fighter of the Nightman (ah-ah-ah)
Champion of the Sun (ah-ah-ah)

kharnifex

• Sergeant
  • Unseen Mazinga
« Reply #12 on: 08 September 2011, 07:55:47 »
I dont wysiwyg simply because I lack the skill to do decent conversions,
"I think it was two ninjas taped together to make one giant ninja!"

The First Proserpina Hussars were eager to fight the Smoke Jaguars, but the commanders assigned them to attack worlds held by Clan Nova Cat instead. They faced a hard fight on Kanowit, but took Mualang by winning a round of miniature golf. This obviously minimized further losses.

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
  • Smallest star in the firmament
« Reply #13 on: 08 September 2011, 08:00:37 »
I dont wysiwyg simply because I lack the skill to do decent conversions,

It's best to start simple, to build up your confidence. Probably the trickiest thing I ever did to a mini was cut off the infamous jumping Panther's legs and repose them into a saucy strut, which involved cutting the legs off, cutting one leg in half, filing the feet down, pinning the legs to the torso, and pinning the cut-in-half leg at the knee. If I'd tried that out of the gate, I'dve probably cut my fingers off and died in a pool of my own blood. And that's actually a fairly minor repose by big boy standards! The key is to start simple; a good one is cutting the arm off a Grand Dragon and making it point forwards instead of at the ground. All you really need is a saw (although a pin vice can help).
Fighter of the Nightman (ah-ah-ah)
Champion of the Sun (ah-ah-ah)

Siberian-troll

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 08 September 2011, 08:08:48 »
If I'd tried that out of the gate, I'dve probably cut my fingers off and died in a pool of my own blood.
Every good work will demand a blood sacrifice from modelling acolite.  And still, it's worth it.

spaceman spiff

• Warrant Officer
  • We will deal with your rebel farmers soon enough..
« Reply #15 on: 08 September 2011, 08:24:48 »
not only am i a strict WYSIWYG player, but i am a strict "un-painted=un-usable" player as well. i have never expected any players to paint like me, but the mini must be painted to be present on the game table- not just a shot of some base color spray paint either.

the reason for WYSIWYG in my game is that i am usually a SATMWTBG player....Shoot At The Mech With The Biggest Guns    >:/! #P
Spaceman has his own blog now!
http://spaceman-spiff-studio.blogspot.com/

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #16 on: 08 September 2011, 08:38:04 »
Not really a WYSIWYG type though I do prefer that any mini's on the table represent at least the same type of mech and weight class, I don't feel  the need to represent variants at all.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #17 on: 08 September 2011, 09:50:38 »
I do not mind WYSIWYG players so long as they apply those rules only to themselves and not to me.  I refuse to be denied the ability to play a WVR-9K because I do not wish to risk modifying my Wolverine Miniatures.
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

M-Rex

• Lieutenant
  • In Ferro, Veritas.
« Reply #18 on: 08 September 2011, 09:55:55 »
I generally subscribe to WISIWYG in terms of make/model.  For example, a 'Rifleman' represents *any* Rifleman variant in the game.  I try to mod up other variants, but sometimes it's just easier to make a substitution that isn't going to be mistaken...like say substituting a Wasp for an Atlas.

On the table, a Rifleman is a Rifleman, regardless of variant.

"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round...

"Carrying stuff may be a sign of improper utilization of your minions." - 'Freelance Writer' Paul

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
    • darklined.com
« Reply #19 on: 08 September 2011, 10:08:04 »
To add to what I have stated earlier, I think that using a miniature to represent a different variant of the same type is ok (a Marauder can be a MAD-3R, -3D, 5M, ...) and actually a huge step up from what you often see on the table ...

Besides being a fan of WYSIWYG I also like Spiff's approach of unpainted=unusable even though this would seriously limit what I could field if I actually played the game ...

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
  • "Now, let's add a couple of happy Death Commandos"
« Reply #20 on: 08 September 2011, 10:10:31 »
I'm personally so OCD that I tend to play WYSIWIG. If you don't have a Toyama for instance, then you can't field one. I'm not always as particular in terms of variants (hence I use the same Shadow Hawk mini for either the SHD-2H, SHD-2K, etc.) I try to match the correct variant with a given mini when possible, but I'm not a stickler.

Mainly I tend to be WYSIWIG more in terms of regimental paint schemes. If they've got Death Commando colors and insignia, that's who's playing. I have a few generic camoflauge painted minis to fill in, but a Davion painted mini will never be fielded as a Capellan. Never. NEVAHHH!!! [tickedoff]
"I can't save his life, it's too embarrassing!" - Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC SSC

sounguru

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 08 September 2011, 10:39:39 »
I don't make my opponents go WySiWYG but I will make snide remarks about you lineage if you show up with unpainted mechs and proxy and atlas for a battlemaster.

Now if you use a battlemaster for a battlemaster variant then I will only comment on the current state of your Hygiene. If it is unpainted I might question your preference in life partners.

Show up WYSIWYG and I'll buy you cup of coffee or a can of soda and praise your virtues as I crush you puny force with my greater skill and better looking WYSIWYG army....

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
    • darklined.com
« Reply #22 on: 08 September 2011, 10:46:00 »
With that mindset you should schedule a game with Spiff. This could really attract a lot of onlookers ;)

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
  • "Now, let's add a couple of happy Death Commandos"
« Reply #23 on: 08 September 2011, 10:51:57 »
I don't make my opponents go WySiWYG but I will make snide remarks about you lineage if you show up with unpainted mechs and proxy and atlas for a battlemaster.

Now if you use a battlemaster for a battlemaster variant then I will only comment on the current state of your Hygiene. If it is unpainted I might question your preference in life partners.

Show up WYSIWYG and I'll buy you cup of coffee or a can of soda and praise your virtues as I crush you puny force with my greater skill and better looking WYSIWYG army....

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

You sound like a fun date
"I can't save his life, it's too embarrassing!" - Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC SSC

john blackwell

• Lieutenant
  • putting on a happy face
« Reply #24 on: 08 September 2011, 11:15:38 »
the reason for WYSIWYG in my game is that i am usually a SATMWTBG player....Shoot At The Mech With The Biggest Guns    >:/! #P
I love it.  Simple strategy. 

I play WYSIWYG with my personal force and spent last summer dismantling and rebuilding each mech accordingly.  I don't mind if others play proxy as long as the unit is appropriate for a given house/clan & time period.

JB
One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off
Pro pacis par vox excellens

sounguru

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 08 September 2011, 11:32:34 »
With that mindset you should schedule a game with Spiff. This could really attract a lot of onlookers ;)

Would love to but he is N-scale and I'm not.... Although I have painted and modded a few N-Scalers in my time. If I had more players that didn't think Hex Boards are the only way to play I would be building an N-Scale army in a heartbeat...

Stormcrow

• Major
  • Art by Shimmering Sword
« Reply #26 on: 08 September 2011, 11:47:24 »
I generally subscribe to WISIWYG in terms of make/model.  For example, a 'Rifleman' represents *any* Rifleman variant in the game.  I try to mod up other variants, but sometimes it's just easier to make a substitution that isn't going to be mistaken...like say substituting a Wasp for an Atlas.

On the table, a Rifleman is a Rifleman, regardless of variant.
Truth. Game play is based on the record sheet not the mini on the table top.
Commandant Otto Maurus, ARWH-1Z ArcHammer, Maurus' Minutemen
Captain Obadiah Sykes, OSR-5FCR Ostroc, Second Filtvelt Citizens Militia

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
Noli Timure Messorem
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of DOOMâ„¢

sounguru

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 08 September 2011, 12:01:14 »
Truth. Game play is based on the record sheet not the mini on the table top.

Henceforth why many view it as a Board Game not a MINI game ....  ;)

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #28 on: 08 September 2011, 12:26:35 »
I'm personally so OCD that I tend to play WYSIWIG. If you don't have a Toyama for instance, then you can't field one. I'm not always as particular in terms of variants (hence I use the same Shadow Hawk mini for either the SHD-2H, SHD-2K, etc.) I try to match the correct variant with a given mini when possible, but I'm not a stickler.

no you only tell your opponents that they can not experiment with a mech that they do not have the mini for...

give me a good reason why when I sit across the table from you that I MUST pony up the money for a mech Mini I may or may not like to play with regularly?  and your mental health issues do not count.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
well that is just plain rude.  I expect that from fans of that british game, not Mech-Heads
« Last Edit: 08 September 2011, 12:28:55 by JPArbiter »
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #29 on: 08 September 2011, 12:34:43 »
C'mon lads. There are valid points to both sides. No need to get offended.

... [watch]