Author Topic: WYSIWYG Minis  (Read 12906 times)

sounguru

• Master Sergeant
  • When all else fails shoot the messenger.
Re: WYSIWYG Minis
« Reply #60 on: 09 September 2011, 14:15:46 »
WYSIWYG in BT is nuts but worth the try if you are up to it. Hope you have deep pockets [rockon]

Depends on your play... Do you decide what you are going to bring each game from all the choices out there or do you have a pool of designs you use over and over.

My unit at this point is only 14 designs deep so not a lot of out lay in cash at all. We build our units slowly over time and don't add wiley nilly to our units. All units are either captured, salvage, bought, or built using points earned in game.
There would be less humans if they were tastier....

Paint it Pink

• Warrant Officer
  • Pink Panther Battalion: The Gritty Kitty's
    • Paint it Pink
« Reply #61 on: 09 September 2011, 14:37:38 »
Like WorkTroll I tend to feel the need to modify every mini I buy to make it special.

I prefer that a mech is represented by a model of the mech, but I am not bothered by it being the correct variant, or not, but kudos if it does.

In order of preference I prefer painted, then primed, then bare and if push comes to shove then an appropriate substitution is fine by me.
The unseen once seen cannot be unseen

http://panther6actual.blogspot.com/

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #62 on: 09 September 2011, 19:01:39 »
I don't mind proxies, but when you see a customized ride hit the table, you know the gauntlet has been thrown down.

Shi_no_Kami

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #63 on: 09 September 2011, 19:10:29 »
I think going fully WYSIWYG is a bit crazy... but If I have say 2 of a mech, one almost invariably gets converted to an alternate variant. For variety purposes... Now limited WYSIWYG is highly preferred, I like to know that I can glance over and see that a Battlemaster of some type is attacking, and not have to think 'was that a Zeus, or a Katana?'

keisukekun

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • A Love Suicide
« Reply #64 on: 09 September 2011, 21:37:45 »
I think WYSIWYG is great and for tournaments you should definitley do it as far as having the right model but thats as far as I think it should go.  Battletech doesnt really need it cause thats what record sheets are for.

Hawktel

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #65 on: 10 September 2011, 21:36:21 »
I'm with you fellas.

The WYSIWYG ones.

Its about pride.

RGCavScout

• Master Sergeant
  • We are the Brute Squad!
« Reply #66 on: 11 September 2011, 00:05:29 »
Some cats dig WYSIWYG.
Some cats don't dig it.
As long as they are playing, I just let it go.

After 20 years, I have a large enough collection of 'Mechs to do some mods (rather poorly; but getting better) and I tend to bring at least a painted mini of the same chassis, if not exact configuration to the table.

BUT

I would never insist upon that level of commitment from others that may force them away from the game.  For me, it is about encouraging people to get as much from the game as I have.  I NEVER want to discourage someone by enforcing my standards on others who may just be getting into the game.  I have enough confidence in the game and the lure of the cruel mistress that is metal crack to let it do the heavy lifting for me.

"Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."  Dread Pirate Roberts

txMaddog

• Sergeant
« Reply #67 on: 11 September 2011, 01:50:03 »
I like WYSIWYG models and doing a bit of modding is fun but I'm not fanatical about it.

I really wish the Stone Rhino matched the 3055 cover art and have been looking at various parts to see if I can kit bash one.
Fan Fund the SC-V-1 "Vampyr" ScavengerMech!!  Why should the combat pilots have all the fun??

RJM

• Sergeant
  • "How do I define honor? Success." -Vlad Ward
« Reply #68 on: 11 September 2011, 02:48:16 »
With mech chassis that I really love, I tend to end up with about a dozen of said mini... Such as the Timber Wolf.  In that case, I'll convert each of them into the exact variant I want to be using.  Same goes with any variants with major visual differences that I know I like to use commonly on the tabletop.  And if it's a characters personal ride, that always gets the full conversion treatment as well.

I really can't stand seeing an Atlas represent something thats not an Atlas though, etc.  I'm way to invested in the visual aspects of the game to not get put off by that.  No hard feelings to anyone who does enjoy using alternate representations for their games, but... I probably wouldn't have nearly as much fun playing with you.

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
  • "Now, let's add a couple of happy Death Commandos"
« Reply #69 on: 12 September 2011, 10:33:02 »
I feel another way to look at it is a rough comparison to chess.

In chess, WYSIWYG, it's very rare to have a pawn proxy as a knight and so forth.

With only six different pieces, and 16 pieces per side, chess has remained popular for literaly hundreds of years without varation.

When it comes to Battletech, we're actually spoiled in that we have an infinite number of types of scenarios to choose from, and variations in the types and numbers of units that will be in those scenarios.

Because of this, I feel that we forget, that like chess, we can still enjoy replaying a particular scenario, or set of scenarios if limited to the minis in a given collection. The Introductory Set includes a good starting selection, and it's economically feasible to simply add to that collection the units that you like.

I suppose the point is it's not unfeasible financially speaking to have a large enough selection of minis to play a large enough variety of scenarios to keep the game enjoyable while still keeping it WYSIWYG.

Now just to clarify, this is just my point of view and how I like to play the game. I find it much more enjoyable knowing that the Daishi on the board is really a Daishi in the game as opposed to having to remember that it's really a Masakari, and that the Victor is really an Atlas, etc. I by no means intend to tell anyone else how to play their games.  ;)
"I can't save his life, it's too embarrassing!" - Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC SSC

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #70 on: 13 September 2011, 01:22:02 »
When I run official games, I have to have painted minis.  It is one of the Catalyst Agent rules.  ;)

We are allowed to proxy though.

In my case, I tend not to.  I tend to pick 'Mechs that I'm going to run from 'Mechs that I have, and if I really want to run a 'Mech I don't have, I buy that 'Mech.  Since most of my 'Mechs are from 3025, 3050, and 3055, you can guess which 'Mechs are most commonly on my tables.  :)

In non-official games, I'm perfectly happy placing an unpainted mini on the table.  We are playing with eight crusaders on the table.  Great.  Let me grab my six painted ones, and a couple unpainted ones.  Here they are.  :)

Now there are times when if I really really want to use a 'Mech and I don't have it, I will proxy.  I will find a 'Mech that looks kinda like what I'm running and is the same class.  I don't have a Devastator for instance, but if I were going to put one on the table, I would probably proxy it with an Emperor that I DO have.  A heavy crabwalker with guns in the arms?  I'll grab a Marauder mini.  A light with a single gun in the right arm?  I'll grab a Stinger.  Stuff like that.

The one thing that does annoy me when I'm playing is when someone proxies and I call out the mini <Thunderbolt>, asking if it has moved or what it's mod is or declare I'm shooting at it and they look confused for a moment before telling me "oh...that's a <Crusader>."  If you are proxying, it is YOUR responsibility to keep track of what you are playing.  If somebody calls out your mini, don't look confused.  Know what you are playing.  The only reason I'm going to look at your sheet and police what you are doing is if I get the feeling you are cheating.  Short of that, I don't care what the name on your sheet is.  I'm firing on that big honking heavy bag of bolts <Thunderbolt> in front of me.  I only care it is a <Crusader> when you start firing your missiles at me.  :)

Of course, if you were playing a Crusader and didn't have a Crusader mini, I would reach onto my shelf and lend you a Crusader mini for the game.  ;)

So yes, I'm more WSIWYG than not, but I WILL proxy if I have NO OTHER choice.  But if you abuse the Proxying with Four Atlas minis representing a Wasp, a Wasp, an Atlas, and a Wasp, or anything like that, I will quickly make certain that the minis on the table are REPRESENTATIVE of what is on the table.   >:(
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

sounguru

• Master Sergeant
  • When all else fails shoot the messenger.
« Reply #71 on: 13 September 2011, 03:37:10 »
 O0
There would be less humans if they were tastier....

Charlemagne

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor is Bulletproof
« Reply #72 on: 14 September 2011, 19:28:48 »
As both a Battletech player and an Ork/Tau 40K player, I lean very heavily towards WYSIWYG.  In fact, in the league I joined last year, when choosing the mechs for my stable, I ended up taking designs I normally would never have played (ie Wyvern, Ostsol, and Cataphract) because I forced myself to choose mechs only out of the minis that I had in Alberta at the time.

And as several people have already mentioned, like they, I tend to mod mechs that i have more than one of.  My first one almost always gets put together in the stock manner/position/whatever, but then I go to town on the others.  I have 4 locusts at the moment, one of the base LCT-5V [20-261] (with the rocket launchers) and 1 base LCT-5M [20-987].  I have modded another 20-987 to look more like the unseen model, and did one of the 20-261 to look like a LCT-3V, with the machine guns and 2 medium lasers.  Even though I think it looks ridiculous, once I can I will be buying one more of each locust so that I can do the periphery variant with the single medium laser and 4 rocket launchers.

Mostly cuz I'm weird that way :)
Honor is Bulletproof

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #73 on: 15 September 2011, 00:29:43 »
I don't make my opponents go WySiWYG but I will make snide remarks about you lineage if you show up with unpainted mechs and proxy and atlas for a battlemaster.

Now if you use a battlemaster for a battlemaster variant then I will only comment on the current state of your Hygiene. If it is unpainted I might question your preference in life partners.

Show up WYSIWYG and I'll buy you cup of coffee or a can of soda and praise your virtues as I crush you puny force with my greater skill and better looking WYSIWYG army....

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

This really sounds like a challenge. You should come to Tacoma, where real men with beards, long hair and large bellies play with stompy robots.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #74 on: 15 September 2011, 01:19:45 »
You should come to Tacoma, where real men with beards, long hair and large bellies play with stompy robots.

Except for the long hair part, sounds like Land of Worktrolls ...  :o ;D
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #75 on: 15 September 2011, 08:17:46 »
Except for the long hair part, sounds like Land of Worktrolls ...  :o ;D

Oh, there's only a few of us that have the long hair  ;)
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.