Author Topic: Working on my photo-fu.  (Read 1411 times)

abou

• Captain
Working on my photo-fu.
« on: 22 November 2012, 17:02:22 »
So I was doing some reading and have been working on my photo skills.  I would like to invest in better lights at some point and a better rig, but it seems that just having a white background, overhead lighting from two sources, and knowledge of the histogram gets you pretty far.

What kind of setups do you use?

abou

• Captain
Re: Working on my photo-fu.
« Reply #1 on: 22 November 2012, 17:02:57 »
Quickdraw in a Marik wet camo.  Thoughts?

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 22 November 2012, 18:14:49 »
I tend to work with natural sunlight for most of my photos, but you seem to have gotten things down well with your lights.
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

manticore72

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 22 November 2012, 22:14:50 »
Are you using a photo editor?  I use PhotoScape (mostly) and Gimp2.
I've taken the liberty of brightening and sharpening, slightly, your Quickdraw photo, it just took a couple of minutes to do the work and now we can see the mini's color and detail better. The better your setup, the less work you will have to do in the editor I find. ;)

john blackwell

• Lieutenant
  • putting on a happy face
« Reply #5 on: 22 November 2012, 23:35:49 »
I guess it's up to you.  White backgrounds mean the mech stands on its own.  Putting it in a setting fills in the shot and moves the piece from just a game piece to a part of a fighting unit stationed somewhere in the sphere doing some job.  Backgrounds can either enhance or distract depending on how you develop the background.

A chacun son gout (to each his own),
JB
One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off
Pro pacis par vox excellens

abou

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 25 November 2012, 23:39:26 »
Thanks guys.  I've been using GIMP.  I've got a few minis coming up that I'd like to get photos of and a few others I haven't posted.  It looks like I'll have time to practice.

I thought about using stuff for backgrounds, but I haven't done so yet.  I don't want to mess with the histogram if it detracts from the mini.

Register