Author Topic: Yarr! Pirates (and generic OpFor)  (Read 4453 times)

Herod

• Recruit
Yarr! Pirates (and generic OpFor)
« on: 17 March 2016, 14:00:14 »
Hello all,

I've been away from Battletech (other than an odd game here or there) for some time.

Recently got back into the swing of things, and decided to get a campaign going with some of my local gaming pals. To get things going I decided we needed some pirates (or generic OpFor) so I dusted off some old figures and picked up a starter set.

I jumped in with both feet and cranked these out in just over 3 weeks. I might go a little less ambitious in my next round of painting. :)

Thanks for looking.

H

Wikkid

• Warrant Officer
Re: Yarr! Pirates (and generic OpFor)
« Reply #1 on: 17 March 2016, 14:43:15 »
Those are gorgeous! Three weeks?! You're not human  :o

Do a see some O.G.R.E. mini's making guest appearances?
Be Pure. Be Vigilant. Behave!

faithless

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I am a meat popsicle.
« Reply #2 on: 17 March 2016, 14:57:10 »
Very nice. What is the hovercraft directly in front of the rommel?
Demo Agent #715
Game HQ Oklahoma City, OK
Carolina Comics Lawton, OK
Oklahoma Battletech Group on Facebook

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #3 on: 17 March 2016, 15:34:29 »
That's outstanding work. Nice little mix of the 6mm Davion infantry. Is there a Kurita Jump trooper in there, too, somewhere?

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Ronin Actual

• Warrant Officer
  • Bad Day?
« Reply #4 on: 17 March 2016, 15:54:30 »
Very nice!

Saatch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 17 March 2016, 16:12:36 »
Really really super nice.

If I may offer a tiny suggestion: Go over the top of your decals with a little brown or sephia wash. They'll blend in a little better.

They're awesome as is, though. That's quite a pirate force!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #6 on: 17 March 2016, 16:31:28 »
That's no opfor, that's an invasion force!

Very nicely done - can you walk us through the way you did the paintscheme?

And yes, now I need to find some GEVs for my AU forces ...
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 17 March 2016, 16:45:14 »
 O0

Herod

• Recruit
« Reply #8 on: 17 March 2016, 16:54:51 »
If I may offer a tiny suggestion: Go over the top of your decals with a little brown or sephia wash. They'll blend in a little better.

Great call. I did that for the white paint, but the decals by far were the most grueling part and I talked myself into calling it quits. I think I convinced myself that I wanted them to pop, but now that you bring it to my attention I'll have to revisit. :)

As far as the Hovers go, they are indeed Ogre GEV's standing in for APC Hovers. They have been sitting in a bag of bits for 10+ years or so, and are finally seeing the light of day.

All of the infantry was from a Davion pack. (One of the few things I ordered new for this project.) Now that I have seen them I am motivated to do some more elaborate scenes on the big bases when I am not "bulk" painting.

The paint scheme is super simple. I base-coated with a dark red, washed with the army painter strong-tone (in the bottle). Hit them with the airbrush again with a red highlight, and then cleaned them up with a brush and bright red highlight. White panels are P3 Menoth white base with a touch of a sepia wash. Metal parts are bolt gun metal (washed) and mithril silver highlight. Weathering/chipping is some P3 Cryx Bane base with Mithril silver over it. Cockpits were Citadel dark angels green, Vallejo sick green and Citadel moot green.

Thanks so much for the feedback all. Looking forward to getting a few of these on the table Saturday!

H

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #9 on: 17 March 2016, 18:17:31 »
Very nice! I'm really pondering getting an airbrush after seeing the great results people have been posting.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #10 on: 17 March 2016, 18:55:45 »
Wow! That's incredible work! The generic military vehicles mixed in are a nice touch. I also really like those hovers in front of the Pegasus and Rommel. They're all awesome! Great job
I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that.

"I crush little childrens dreams everyday...Ralph your not a kangaroo...Ralph your also not a trophy....." (Quote used by Jesse Richards (ExtremeBloodAspUser))

Miz Anna

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 17 March 2016, 19:31:42 »
Wow! So impressive, I love it. The infantry mixed in, the consistent paint scheme, Unseen.....all truly excellent. :)

Dragon41673

• Captain
    • Aries Games & Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: 17 March 2016, 20:16:33 »
Ya know, I almost skipped over this thread due to my own time constraints (a.k.a. 2 year old & a pregnant wife)...but I'm glad I didn't. Looks great! Very nice work sir!
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #13 on: 17 March 2016, 20:29:27 »
Very nice work. I will have to copy that sequence down for future reference. It is always nice to see how others do things.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #14 on: 17 March 2016, 20:36:10 »
I really like the larger bases (Proxie models, looks like) for the big tanks. It gives each the feel of a mini-vignette, and I think I'm going to gleefully steal the idea.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Herod

• Recruit
« Reply #15 on: 17 March 2016, 21:39:00 »
I really like the larger bases (Proxie models, looks like) for the big tanks. It gives each the feel of a mini-vignette, and I think I'm going to gleefully steal the idea.

We play on Heroscape terrain, so those big bases were Litko 1.75", so they are completely flat. Next time a finer grain of sand is in order, or used much more sparingly when I use the infantry models on the base. Now I need some 6mm sand bags!

Thanks for the feedback all!

H

Corrinald

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 17 March 2016, 22:23:48 »
Three weeks?! That would take me three years.

Very sharp looking force, well done!

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #17 on: 17 March 2016, 22:30:11 »
Now I need some 6mm sand bags!

Perhaps the gun nest from MWDA could work. It's done in N-scale but the sand bags on the model could be converted for what you need.
I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that.

"I crush little childrens dreams everyday...Ralph your not a kangaroo...Ralph your also not a trophy....." (Quote used by Jesse Richards (ExtremeBloodAspUser))

HeavyGun

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Dante's Infernals
« Reply #18 on: 18 March 2016, 00:15:18 »
Wow nice force, and three weeks, did you stop to sleep and eat. Nice Job  O0
CDT Agent #695, Spokane Valley, Wa.

Get in, Sit down, Shut up and Hold on...oh yeah you better pray cuz your gonna need it!

shadhawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: 18 March 2016, 01:27:47 »
very nice work on such a large unit  O0

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #20 on: 18 March 2016, 07:47:53 »
Spectacular  O0
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Megamandinga

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
    • Nuclei3D
« Reply #21 on: 18 March 2016, 07:58:10 »
Nice invasion force, Liking the red, reminds me of the Kurita schemes I painted for friends. Looks like a red with a black wash followed by a dry brush in areas that needed it. The cockpits being jeweled is a nice touch but maintaining more of a dark look. Very cool, I wish i had 3 weeks to paint all my things lol. I have one and 3/4's starter set minis to process and paint in addition to a dozen clan mechs and a broadsword. Guess I'll have to speed paint.

Hats off to you sir.
It's the badly drawn cardboard bad asses!

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 18 March 2016, 13:10:48 »
Final question from me: Do you have a name and history for these pirates?

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

Cidwm

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #23 on: 20 March 2016, 10:37:17 »
Outstanding work. That is a very nice pirate force you have painted sir.

Herod

• Recruit
« Reply #24 on: 20 March 2016, 11:45:14 »
Final question from me: Do you have a name and history for these pirates?

Not really, no. I have something in mind for the campaign, but only if the campaign heads in that direction. (And I'd rather not day in case my pals are on surfing this board :)

Some just hit the table yesterday as the Lesnovo Militia Mafia, and I'm pleased to say they caused quite a ruckus.

H

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
« Reply #25 on: 20 March 2016, 17:15:49 »
Excellent OpFor. I agree with WT though, it looks more like an invasion force.

Well done.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #26 on: 20 March 2016, 19:41:47 »
Heavy pirate raiding force  >:D They look great though.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 21 March 2016, 11:02:00 »
Well, that is assuming they appear all together at once.  I could see this as being a 'Pirate Pool', where the opfor starts out with certain selections from the pool, but as they take damage and losses, make replacements with other items from the pool. If this is truly a faceless OpFor unit, you are actually looking at different generations all in one group photo.

Herod

• Recruit
« Reply #28 on: 21 March 2016, 13:37:33 »
Well, that is assuming they appear all together at once.  I could see this as being a 'Pirate Pool', where the opfor starts out with certain selections from the pool, but as they take damage and losses, make replacements with other items from the pool. If this is truly a faceless OpFor unit, you are actually looking at different generations all in one group photo.

That's how I am looking at it for sure.

H

Louie N

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: 21 March 2016, 15:27:37 »
very well done

Register