Author Topic: II Cohort, IV Legio, MAF - Jihad era (combined arms unit)  (Read 2535 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
IV Legio was formed to be a rapid response unit for the MAF, with a larger number of vehicles than 'Mechs. This led to them becoming one of the best coordinated of the Ceaser's Legions. Used initially to suppress bandits and pirates, the Legio transitioned easily to counter-insurgency work, spending most of the Jihad in the Illyrian district pacifying the native population.

II Cohort is typical of the Legio's makeup at this period, seen here in 3073 following deployment to the world of Trasjkis. II Cohort found the dry high-altitude plateau on which the planetary capital, Nova Mediolanum, was situated ideal for their fast-moving, hard-hitting style. At last report, the planet was stable and pacified, and the Legio expected no further trouble.

I Century, I Maniple, is the Cohort's command century. This heavy Century is the "iron fist" of the Cohort, entering combat when the enemy has been pinned down by lighter units.

The Principes leads from his Cyclops CPC-11-H, supported by a JagerMech JM-6H, Catapult CPLT-H2, a salvage Quickdraw QKD-5Mr, and a Dervish DV-6Mr.

II Century, I Maniple, as a light Century, is designed for scouting & pursuit duties.

It consists of a Jenner JR-7D, Spider SDR-7M, venerable Hornet HNT-151, and refurbished Commando COM-4H, and Locust LCT-1V2.

II Maniple is a support unit, and its centuries often operate independantly of each other, going where they are most needed.

I Century, II Maniple, is made up of Laser Carriers. While not the toughest of armour, these doughty vehicles punch well above their weight, don't need extensive resupply on long campaigns, and provide reliable backup for more mobile units. They're also useful when it's required to exact punitive levelling on the homes of rebels and bandits.

II Century, II Maniple is hardly mobile, but has the reach to compensate. Core of the Century is a pair of Germanicus artillery tanks, produced by Hadrian Mechanised Infantry. Roughly equivalent to the Marksman, but dropping the Marksman's laser weapon and using an ICE engine, the results of their performance here will be used to determine whether HMI enters full production (also assuming a sufficient supply of Snipers can be obtained for trading partners). Defence is provided by a Demolisher, and a pair of Swiftwinds (with integral spotter squads) provide forward observation capacity. The Germanicii also serve as anti-aircraft defence for the Cohort, at need.

I Century, III maniple, uses Ranger VVIs to provide fast response firepower. These are ideally suited for counter-insurgency work, equally at home in urban areas or on open plains, and can (admittedly, only at short ranges) punch above their weight.

II Century, III Maniple, prides itself on being a mixture of fast and heavy. Organic and locally-made heavy hover APCs deliver an entire Century of the new Ravager battle armour into combat, where their stout armour and heavy recoilless rifles ensure their effectiveness.

Okay, I've been working on this unit - on, and definitely off, since February, and only made a push to finish it in the past few weeks. I was going to do II Legio originally, but the test units for that came up bad, so IV Legio became the fallback. Then I read more about IV Legio, and realised it was a great opportunity to do a nice. flavourful unit. Not optimised for head-to-head combat, but I think well suited for Periphery bandit/rebel hunting.

I'd decided from the start to feature several RL-heavy designs. Unfortunately not all of them were available to the MAF, but I got what I think is a ice mix. The missile plates a kind friend ran up for me via 3D printer; I didn't attempt a 1-for-1 representation (which always bothered me on the RL-armed Archer and MAD-II; the RLs on them looked ridiculous to my eyes) so I went with enough to give the right impression. As well as the RLs, the JagerMech is a plastic body & arms, with legs from the Jager III (the only bits I'd use of that mini).

As you've probably noticed, lots of DA vehicles & the BA. And the Spartan Wars artillery; I do like that line's Britannia line.

Painting? Prime, base coat in a reddish-brown, white areas topped with a couple of coats of orange, metallics drybrushed over black, then a light brown ink wash followed by a light tan ghostbrush to bring out edges.

Comments welcomed as always,

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: II Cohort, IV Legio, MAF - Jihad era (combined arms unit)
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2017, 17:43:42 »
 ;)  [I've been trying to do that since yesterday :( ]

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #2 on: 12 July 2017, 18:00:24 »
I was beginning to worry about you, Jim!  ;)
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: 12 July 2017, 18:48:09 »
Bam! Love how the rocket Launcher plates turned out! (I printed them :D )

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #4 on: 12 July 2017, 18:50:00 »
Now about those other Rangers ;)

Nanhold

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: 12 July 2017, 19:09:23 »
Nice work, that's what I call a combined arms force!

shadhawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: 12 July 2017, 21:37:38 »
Nice work on the minis and history  8)

Louie N

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 13 July 2017, 08:57:54 »
Well done. It was a fun read. 

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #8 on: 13 July 2017, 09:01:11 »
Awesome ! Love the use of MDA mini's
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 13 July 2017, 10:56:13 »
I love the Catapult in the second picture.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #10 on: 13 July 2017, 18:37:05 »
It's a real bitzer, but that suits the Marians!

Torso is a 25th Anniversary Cat, with legs from a DA Raven. It's got multiple RLs in the RA, torsos, with a PPC & RL in the LA.

I left the 'dent' in the upper centre torso of the 25th box plastics, as this added to the 'lashed together from salvage' look.

W.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #11 on: 13 July 2017, 20:55:52 »
I'm not familiar with MDA, but the work is awesome!  Thanks for sharing  :)
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 13 July 2017, 21:30:32 »
MWDA is the best source of bitz/greeblies for kitbashing. For example, the Laser Carriers are the back half of DA Mobile Long Toms, with missiles off a DA Regulator as the laser arrays. Likewise, the Ranger VVIs and Ravagers are stock DA, while the heavy hover APCs are slightly hacked DA Fox APCs.

I got into the habit of picking up collections of DA figures relatively cheaply, so I have about half a cubic yard of stuff. About 90% of the infantry bases, 50% of the vehicles, and 10% of the 'Mechs work well enough on the table with IWM stuff, and the rest can be mined for bitz, or repurposed.

One thing to be careful of - the usable DA vehicles tend to be noticeably bigger than IWM vehicles of the same 'weight'. Therefore I tend to put all DA vehicles in my battalions, so it's not so obvious. As long as the 'Mechs are taller, it all works.

(I'm planning a 'Big Boys' battalion with a mix of the IWM minis that look oversized, plus some DA minis that work with'em. IWM minis like the Ninjato, Thanatos, and so on.)

W.

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #13 on: 15 July 2017, 09:03:20 »
worktroll who do you use for your photo hosting?
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #14 on: 15 July 2017, 14:46:52 »
Google Photo. It's effectively free, and if you take the 'their preferred resolution' option, like I did, doesn't count against your limit.

Another photobucket user? :) Google Photo is a little awkward, but works.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #15 on: 19 July 2017, 06:49:13 »
WorkTroll, I like your unit, but the Hornet bothers me. It doesn't have enough Rocket Launchers. So the Fan Designs board has my variant that does. Your JagerMech pilot donated some RL-15's after the Hornet lost its LRM.
« Last Edit: 19 July 2017, 06:51:35 by mbear »
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #16 on: 19 July 2017, 09:26:58 »
When I'm building the battalions, I do try to stick to canon designs (most of the time). But it totally makes sense that any chassis hauled in for major repairs got 'enhanced' with Hydra packs at every opportunity.

The Hornet with RL-10s makes a great skirmisher; with RL-20s, an ambusher.

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #17 on: 03 September 2017, 05:57:44 »
Nice.

Register