Author Topic: Clearcoat and metallic paints  (Read 1362 times)

sadlerbw

• Captain
Clearcoat and metallic paints
« on: 27 August 2017, 11:35:32 »
I'm finally getting around to clearcoating some of the minis I have painted as the kiddos are now old enough that I'm willing to let them touch my metal minis...well, most of them. No one touches the Vulture Mk.IV but me..I've glued those damn arms back on enough already! Anyway, I've been using a matte clearcoat which is generally working well except that it is kilking all the 'sparkle' in any metallic paints I've used. I am not really good enough to do NMM in a way I'm happy with, so I like using metallic paints for little details here and there, and in some schemes as a base color. Unfortunately, the gold and silver just sort of turn into yellow and grey once I clearcoat them!

I'm not really sure what I can do about this. I'm hesitant to use a satin clearcoat, and I'm worried that if I try to add some more metallic paint on top of the clearcoat, it's going to get too thick or look weird. Any suggestions about how I can keep my metallics from turning into flat colors while still protecting the paint job?

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
Re: Clearcoat and metallic paints
« Reply #1 on: 27 August 2017, 11:51:17 »
Hmm, I'll have to look closer at mine when I get home tonight.  I use Krylon's Crystal Clear Flat, and I can't say I've noticed that problem.  But then I also use Vallejo paints and I find most of their metallic paints are not quite as shiny as some others out there.  I'll try to send some pics too if there's enough daylight left.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 27 August 2017, 11:53:24 »
All this assumes you are using a spray-on matte finish...

I know you are hesitant to use a satin (or gloss), but try a brush-on somewhere inconspicuous. If it gives you the look you want, go with a spray-on and do the whole thing or if you only need it on the metal parts, then just use your brush-on.

I usually only want water glossy, so I hit it with gloss after I have matte coated the whole mini. Seems to work for me.

Caz

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 27 August 2017, 12:26:09 »
I am indeed using spray-on matte. I think it's army painter, but I have no idea whose paint they rebrand. Honestly, I wasn't aware of brush-on clearcoat, although now that you mention it would make no sense that clearcoat ONLY comes in spray cans! I'll see if my hobby store has some and see what it looks like.

I am wary of gloss though. I painted a ranger for a D&D game in my youth and gloss clearcoated him. He looked...moist. I haven't ever forgotten how much I disliked 'ole captain shiny pants after I hit him with the gloss clearcoat!

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 27 August 2017, 12:41:48 »
If you test out the brush on gloss and you don't like it, a thin coating(or spraying) of matte again should counter it.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 27 August 2017, 12:54:27 »
I haven't ever forgotten how much I disliked 'ole captain shiny pants after I hit him with the gloss clearcoat!

I always thought it was "Captain Tight Pants", but different place, different time I suppose...  ;)

Most things are not suppose to be "that kind" of shiny, so gloss doesn't really work well on miniatures. As I've said, I use the gloss for water and I've seen people use it for cockpits, but otherwise it gets iffy. I'd pick up both matte and glossy (I'd rather spend the extra money up front, than waste the time and gas going back for the second bottle), and see which one looks the best. If neither work out, spray a little of the matte in whatever random container you have and then brush that over your test area to reset it back to the way it was (that way you don't have to respray the whole thing).

Caz

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 27 August 2017, 19:19:56 »
I went down to the local shop, and apparently they are carrying Vallejo paints now! They had a brush-on satin and gloss, so I picked up a bottle of both and I'll give them a shot. I'll give them a shot and see how it looks. Thanks for the suggestion!

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #7 on: 27 August 2017, 20:43:18 »
Actually had a picture already that shows what I was speaking about.  The barrel is painted with Vallejo's Gunmetal.  Even with the crystal clear flat on it, there is still a little sheen to it, and this one is just right for my tastes.  Now, I do spray my minis lightly, just enough to get them 'wet'.  Hope that helps  :)
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

greasyspoon

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 29 August 2017, 15:40:37 »
I use matte spray on mine and it does dull the metals a little.  I just use a brush on gloss on the metal parts gets them back to the way the looked before the matte. 

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 29 August 2017, 16:39:21 »
Could always use the nonmetallic metal technique.

I'm too lazy to do it, but it is an option.   ;)
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Iron Wind Metals
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: 30 August 2017, 07:42:47 »
My brother (who is a way better painter then me) sprays the clear coat and then paints the metallics on after the clear coat drys. That way they are not dulled at all.

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #11 on: 30 August 2017, 10:35:08 »
I use a combination of techniques.

Spray then paint the metallic (Just make sure things are dry first)
Spray then gloss over it (Brush-on) - yes, but usually not with metallics. Typically I do this on cockpits.
Mask the area from the spray (Only works on large sections)
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

Phobos101

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 31 August 2017, 03:46:19 »
I do a similar thing to roundtop: I paint everything, then gloss acrylic varnish over the top. You can then do an enamel wash if you wish, then mask off areas you wish to remain glossy (cockpit glass, metallic weapons etc) with a liquid mask like Humbrol Maskol. Once the masking is set, blast it with as much matte or satin varnish as you like, and you will still get shiny metal when you peel the mask away. easy!

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 31 August 2017, 16:42:23 »
It's enough of an effort for me to get a clean paint job the first time around. The prospect of having to re-paint my metals on top of the clearcoat is...less than exciting. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I'm going to try the brush-on semi and gloss I picked up and see how that works. As for painting NMM...like Clint Eastwood said, a Man's got to know his limitations!