Author Topic: A Time of War Character Generator  (Read 19305 times)

landryan

• Recruit
A Time of War Character Generator
« on: 12 October 2014, 12:11:03 »
Been away a while - what is the best character generator out there? Has anyone nailed it yet?

Diamondshark

• Lieutenant
  • Bringing back the enlightenment to the Star League
Re: A Time of War Character Generator
« Reply #1 on: 12 October 2014, 13:53:01 »
I only know of one; it was buggy, incomplete, and I can't find it anywhere anymore.
"We are the Clans, the Star League incarnate.
None can stand against us and survive."

-- The Remembrance, Passage 272, Verse 8, Lines 18-19

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #2 on: 12 October 2014, 21:19:33 »
Yeah, I'm afraid the best you can get these days is one of the various spreadsheets that people have put together to help automate character creation.  Maybe someday someone will make one.

gigobyte

• Sergeant
  • Rock'em Sock'em Robots that I don't get bored of.
« Reply #3 on: 31 October 2014, 00:59:47 »
I have recently jumped back into battletech and in finding things have changed with the roleplaying side picked up the books. Boy, I was in for a surprise. Character creation was very complicated and they only creators that I was able to find were "Monbvol's". It was pretty good, but lacked things that I wanted in a creator. So since I fancy myself pretty good at Excel...I made one.

I hope you find it as of much use. it is only version 1, and I will be working on inputting equipment and the such when I get an opportunity. I just got a new job and will be busy. If there are any that could help with the data entry...that would be a godsend. I would have attached it but it is 2mb. below is a link to my onedrive.

http://1drv.ms/1wMknl3

Thank you for looking it over.

I should add, that it has a great working Module system built in as well as the standard point built system.

Kobura

• Corporal
  • Aliis volat propriis.
« Reply #4 on: 31 October 2014, 07:34:37 »
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqKKeun5JvmDdFhWR3I3UVlOWERUd29LZWxVYWd2alE&usp=sharing

Mine has a "Studio6" nicknamed from back when it was the 6th sheet in the spreadsheet, which has a lot of slots for character creation spreadwork.

It's still designed to be completed with me present, so some things could use additional instruction.

However, the sheet is rapidly evolving into a GM-assisted one stop shop to run the game for the players. I personally know where to go in all the books for most rules I want, but waiting on four playercharacters to do so is out of the question, so I'm placing everything basic and important I can, into its relevant reference sheet.

Slowly it is being modified to be fully modular, copy-pasteable from the various inventories to the "combat" sheets, I'm working on having 'record sheets' that can be dragged and dropped in and out of a player's character sheet by the gamemaster, completely obsoleting the need for paper printouts or client-side Paint-edit jpgs and the following update headache - it's all live all the time.

I'm also working actively, literally every time I interact with any player's sheet, to squash bugs before they break anything and propogating the detailed changelog to this live master-blank. My goal is to be able to update any sheet with any version tag (the Aa1* thing for instance is my current version tag) to the current one via my notes, hopefully you can too.

Every formula that appears on the sheet automatically draws from any data source it would be expected to, the "roll benefit" tile and anywhere that regurgitates it is always updated with the most recent changes to the document (health, experience, attributes). Actually executing equipment's modification from the Combat ('on person') page to modify the Skills and Attributes, save for standardized things like backpack gear (Strength increase for Encumbrance purposes), is impossible to my knowledge, but characters should probably have little enough of that on them that use is an event rather than forgotten.

Character creation on Studio6 is copy-pasteable to the front page of the character sheet. All the attribute and skill names and experience point blocs are synchronized to be copy-dumped, this has been test verified (unless a character has in excess of 5 languages/arts/sciences/streetwise/protocol/other squishy skills, I only accounted for 5 of each in advance)

My concept behind the sheet was to run as many of the hard numbers as I could find and make it do to streamline time and math (ala Megamek), while still providing maximum leeway for the storyteller to intervene at any point (something MegaMek simply does not offer in any way, from what I can tell, which is why I don't use it for this story)

If you would like an in-person/videophone explanation of the entire sheet in detail, I'm literally almost always available.

skype- k.shinja.cape
email- koburacape at gmail
Angel of the Light
Serpent of the Night

Proud of Clan
Proud of Honor
Proud of Battle

Kobura Shinja Cape