Author Topic: Indexed: The Ngo Saga (central directory of reposted ‘Cannonshop’ stories)  (Read 53737 times)

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
  Okay, I might as well get started.  I’m taking Cannonshop up on this offer, to whit: “Anyone who still has extant copies of my older stuff, is perfectly welcome to repost it.”

Anyone who gets twitchy when faced with errors of spelling, grammar, punctuation and formatting needs to know that these are the texts as-posted by Cannonshop himself.  I know how twitchy I get about people possibly modifying my stories, so other than matching the original italics/bold formatting, and resurrecting the odd ‘missing’ line that got obscured by Censortron hiccups, these stories are re-posted exactly as Cannonshop first put them on-line.  :-\  I’ll even be including relevant writer’s notes and out-of-story remarks, including a few choice comments from readers of the time.  ;)

Main Ngo Timeline (Ngo-verse 3.0(?))

2729 — Kowloon Rising (re-post: complete)
  2768 — A Pound of Flesh — from the Debtor’s Chest (re-post: complete)
  2776 — When the Man Comes Around  co-written by blacktigeractual  (re-post: complete)

3052 — Unsuitable (re-post: complete)
  3059 — Blood of my Motherland (re-post: complete)
  3061 — Moving Towards Madness (re-post: complete)
  3063 — Enter the Falcon  co-written by Blackhorse 6  (re-post: complete)
  3075 — For the Liberty of Others (re-post: complete)
  3076 — Awards and Rewards  co-written by Deathrider6  (re-post: complete)
  3077 — Standards and Decisions (re-post: complete)
  3079 — Never Coming Home (re-post: complete)
  3081 — Sweetness and Light (re-post: pending)
  3081 — For the Good of the Nation (re-post: pending)
  3081 — Genesis — (re-post: pending)
  3082 — For Home and People (re-post: pending)
  3082 — Finding Your Feet (re-post: pending)
  3083 — Rule of Law (re-post: pending)
  3083 — The Rule of Man (re-post: pending)
  [unknown timeframe] — In Hell (re-post: pending)
  3084 — My Homeland, My People (re-post: pending)
  3085 — Going Home (re-post: pending)
  3086 — Show Me How It Hurts (re-post: pending)
  3087 — My Native Land (re-post: pending)
  3087 — Sing Songs of Unity (re-post: pending)
  3088 — ‘3089’ (re-post: pending)
  3089 — A Forest (re-post: pending)
  3090 — A Cold War (re-post: pending)
  3091 — Overviews (re-post: pending)
  3092 — And Angels Weep (re-post: pending)
  3094 — Stoke the Flame of the Empire (re-post: pending)
  3097 — In Blue (re-post: pending)
  3099 — Dark Places (re-post: pending)
  3099 — Burial Plots (re-post: pending)

Primer on Kowloon
  Primer on Cholmann’s Syndrome

AI side-line
  Technically speaking, the ‘Tabby’ stories take place in the normal Ngo-verse, but there’s next to no interaction between Tabiranth and the ’Loonies.
  [No timestamp] — Identify  (re-post: complete)
  3068 — Sybil   originally a stand-alone fic written by Giovanni Blasini  (re-post by Giovanni Blasini: in progress)
  3069 — Knock, Nock   fan-novel co-written by Cannonshop, Giovanni Blasini, and Deathrider6  (re-post: complete)
  3083 — Ascension   co-written by Giovanni Blasini, Liam’s Ghost, and Cannonshop (re-post: in progress)
  3085 — Cast Down from Grace  (re-post: complete)

Alternate Timelines

FGC’62 AU
  Index of FGC’62 Timeline  (Index and all related fics posted by Cannonshop himself)
    As the title says, this index, and the fics it links to here, are related to the Fan Grand Councils 3062 game which started here several years ago, then migrated to the Intelser.org forums.  As such, a lot of the background is incredibly divergent from canon (that game got wild! :o); you’d need to do a lot of catch-up on those forums to get all of the context, and at the moment those forums are closed to non-members following a spam infestation.  :'(  That said, the fics the FGC set-up let Cannonshop write were classic Ngo/’Loonie stuff, so they’d be worth your time if you can ever get access.

3066 — Traveling with Cousin Giao
  3067 — A Sickness
  3067 — Redneck
  3067 — Dinner with Elizabeth
  3068 — Chickens Come Home to Roost
  3069 — A Singular Event
  3069 — Slouching to Independence

BattleTech: Shattered Dawn AU
  BattleTech: Shattered Dawn is an AU crafted by Takiro and a whole bunch of other contributors, starting from the premise that a Cameron did survive the Amaris Coup.  The SLDF’s 90th Heavy Assault Regiment, the “Black Tigers”, were created by blacktigeractual for a series of fan-novels set in BTSD which I highly recommend in their own right.  You can read them on-line at OurBattleTech.com.  Technically-speaking, When the Man Comes Around can fit into either the ‘main’ Ngo timeline or the BTSD continuity, but Smell of the Ashes has elements that make it more of a ‘Kowloon/Ngo in the BTSD ’verse’ story.

2776 — When the Man Comes Around  co-written by blacktigeractual  (re-post: complete)
  2779 — The Smell of the Ashes  co-written by blacktigeractual  (re-post: complete)

BTSD crossover AU
  Think the Ngos and ’Loonies were bad enough on their own?  Add a time-displaced SLDF unit to the mix — worse yet, the 90th Heavy Assault Regiment, the “Black Tigers” of ‘BattleTech: Shattered Dawn’ fame — and watch the fireworks get so much nastier!  Sadly, this one remains a stand-alone story at this juncture, but I doubt anyone would complain if it expanded into a complete Ngo-’verse/timeline in its own right. ;)
  (For the record, the Black Tigers misjumped out of their timeline into the ‘canon’/Ngo timeline; the Terran Republic and BTSD are not part of the timeline they arrive in.)

3051 — Ghosts of the Dead   fan-novel co-written by blacktigeractual, Cannonshop, and MechRat  (re-post: complete)

Hunted Tribes AU
  Hunted Tribes is a story by Hotpoint which crosses BattleTech with the 2003 reimagining of BattleStar Galactica and details what happens when the Tag-Tag Fleet finds a ‘New Caprica’ that is already occupied by humans.  The resulting interactions between the Colonials, their new hosts, and the Cylons are as complex as they are... interesting, often in the Chinese sense.
  Note that the first version of ...But Somehow a Most Melancholy listed below, the ‘original’ version, ran into some serious issues.  Hotpoint and Cannonshop began a re-write, and groundwork elements of that version are incorporated into the main narrative of Hunted Tribes, but the rewrite remains unfinished and the ‘first version’ should not be considered part of Hunted Tribes ‘canon’.

3045 — Hunted Tribes   by Hotpoint alone
  3046 — ...But Somehow a Most Melancholy (original)  co-written by Hotpoint and Cannonshop
  3046 — ...But Somehow a Most Melancholy (re-write)   co-written by Hotpoint and Cannonshop

Ngo-verse version 2.0(?)
  The Ngo-verse went through several iterations over the years, as Cannonshop honed his writing skills and learned better control of his urge to ‘power-game’ through the Ngos and Kowloonese.  This iteration was the second version I ever saw, back before these were even adopted by (then) FanPro as the official forums, and while I can’t deny Cannonshop’s passion for the material or his ability to write an exciting narrative, the power-level of his protagonists is far higher than seen in later takes, with the semi-natural consequence that they ended up all but running the entire Lyran Commonwealth at points.
  (Sadly, the original version I read appears to have been lost to the data-tides of the Internet.  It showcased an even more powerful(!) set of Ngos/’Loonies, but included some really interesting ideas.  For instance, in that version, the Ice Hellions were also part of the Jade Falcon invasion of Kowloon... rather to their regret.  That was the version where CIH MechWarriors on Kowloon were getting ambushed by Marauders armed with MetalStorm AC/10’s in combat, or falling afoul of twelve-gauge vasectomies from ’Loonie boobytraps when they dis-/re-mounted....)

3063 — ...and Every Mother's Son Will Suffer (reposted by wolfcannon)

Ngo-verse version 4.0(?)  (With many thanks to glitterboy2098 for initially compiling these links.)
  In this iteration of the Ngo-verse, Mizz Liz is something less of a force-of-nature; she’s just as smart and driven and passionate as ever, but she enters the nobility (and ‘repossesses’ Kowloon) in 3057 as a sixteen-year-old, some five years earlier than in previous treatments, which leaves her far less politically adept.  Instead of steamrolling everyone in her way, she actually faces pushback from other power-players in the Lyran Commonwealth, who have vastly more experience and resources in managing would-be disruptors.  And then the Arluna Flu shows up and really upsets the various applecarts....

3057 — How to you apologize to THEM?: a Elizabeth Ngo featurette  Apparently takes place right after Mizz Liz ‘repossesses’ Kowloon, as seen in A Question of Labour
  3058 — Not necessarily to everyone's taste
  3058 — Her Wings
  3063 — Her Boots
  3059/3065 — The Watery Silence  The Arluna Flu strikes again!
  3067 — The Politics of Compromise
  3067 — Spreading Darkness
  3075 — Cool Wind
  3076 — Black Jumpsails

[placeholder — to be updated as necessary]
« Last Edit: 27 December 2018, 04:30:02 by Trace Coburn »

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
I can't wait for more of these stories to surface!
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Taron Storm

• Warrant Officer
  • Founding Member of Chaos Inc Merc Brigade
Trace, don't forget that Cannonshop also did a crossover with blacktigeractual.  I will dig up the title when I have a spare moment.  (Infant daughter being cranky   O:-) )

Found it:  Ghosts of the Dead, A Shattered Dawn AU story
« Last Edit: 01 September 2013, 19:52:07 by Taron Storm »

serack

• Lieutenant
yea a good one :)

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
  As I noted, I won’t re-post a fic unless I have the go-ahead from all the writers involved in a work.  Blackhorse 6 has signed off, so Enter the Falcon is in the clear; I’m still waiting to hear back from some other writers, so fics like Ghosts of the Dead remain off the table for the time being.  :-X

mikecj

• Major
I facebooked BTA to let him know.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf

Taron Storm

• Warrant Officer
I noticed that you posted the aero designs over on the design board, would you happen to have the vehicle designs for the Rommel/Patton revamps that CS did?

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
I noticed that you posted the aero designs over on the design board, would you happen to have the vehicle designs for the Rommel/Patton revamps that CS did?
  They’re most-relevant to stories like For the Liberty of Others, which is where the stats were posted IIRC, and they’ll be linked at the appropriate locations in those respective threads.  That said, my archive of For the Liberty of Others is 21 pages long(!), so converting and reformatting it is proving a bit of a slog; it might not go up for a couple of days.

Re-poster’s side-note: in doing the conversion work, I’ve been reminded of exactly how brutal and pointless a complete cluster-frak the Battle of Mississauga was.  Ye gods.  :o

Deathrider6

• General Counsel Ngo Industries
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant
  • Go ahead, try and run.
Trace I have most of the old "Really Old" Ngo stories in a word Doc drop me an e mail if ya want them for repost.
"You're either with me, or you hate freedom and kittens. " - consequences on VSD and a draw result of the Great Refusal.

blacktigeractual

• Corporal
Okay here is the version i have of When the Man comes around.  (When Cannonshop spurred me to my best writing ever.)
The thing about Marauders is this, the big bad MAD was never unseen, reseen or whatever. We were always there.

I want to build something REAL....I want to bring our people out of the DARK AGES while there's something to save.
Elizabeth Ngo

blacktigeractual

• Corporal
plus here is the incomplete Part 1 of Ghosts of the Dead  you'll all note some parts where you'll see (insert Cannonshop's stuff here)  If any of you has the full story, please send it to me. I do want to write part 2.
The thing about Marauders is this, the big bad MAD was never unseen, reseen or whatever. We were always there.

I want to build something REAL....I want to bring our people out of the DARK AGES while there's something to save.
Elizabeth Ngo

blacktigeractual

• Corporal
And lastly here is The Smell of the Ashes.  This short fic takes place just after the liberation of Terra by the SLDF and fits in to my Through a Mirror Darkly series between Book 2: Of Sorrow And Regrets and Book 3:Those Who Break the Unity.

Elizabeth Ngo

MechRat

• Corporal
  • Knightmare's Evil Minion on OBT.com
    • OurBattleTech - A place for AU's to call home
I'm pretty sure I have a full copy of Ghosts of the Dead, including the part I wrote. Give me a few days to find it and I can repost it.

Comedian

• Corporal
  • The Artist formerly known as Comedian
Thanks for reposting those. This time I will make myself a copy.
Listen to your inner Lyran.
Take a Assault Mech!

Yes I was on the old boards.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
reading 'awards and rewards' made me realize why i enjoy cannonshop's Ngo stories so much.. they are basically John Ringo style stories without all the dues ex machina solutions and with no right wing political fanboyism..  :)

since i like ringo's work, but hate his tendancy to pull super-tech out of his ass to resolve stories and loath how he brings his political views into things, this is a good thing IMO.

the 'loonies would have fit right into the Posleen war conflict done by Ringo.

Wildfire

• Sergeant
When I get home I'll have to look and see if I still have Cannonshops old recon stories which are truly ancient (pre Ngo)  :)

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
  Index updated to include the stand-alone timeline of Ghosts of the Dead, a joint work between blacktigeractual, his BTSD co-contributor MechRat, and Ngo-verse creator Cannonshop.  I don’t know if it will ever become a full series of stories, and at a remove of three years it looks increasingly unlikely, but like the rest of you, I can always hope.  ^-^

cawest

• Captain
was there some cross over with Battlestar Gal 2003 that had Ngo in it?

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
was there some cross over with Battlestar Gal 2003 that had Ngo in it?
  Hotpoint’s BattleTech/nBSG crossover story Hunted Tribes had a spin-off/side-story named ...But Somehow a Most Melancholy, co-written by Cannonshop.  A stranded Wolverine pilot and TQF142M5D stumble across each other, and -142 (who gets the name Nike in this continuity) joins the Star League Navy in Exile; later on, Commander Lee Adama’s Pegasus rescues a JumpShip of lostech prospectors from a Cylon boarding-party, and the senior survivor is from a branch of the Ngo family (complete with Cholmann’s).
  Unfortunately, as sometimes happened with Cannonshop, his writing ran out ahead of the story to the point where the internal logic began to get strained, and he and Hotpoint decided to scrub it and reboot the story.  The reboot was pretty good in its own right, but it was only three pages long when it fell moribund.  :(

I’ll try to ping Hotpoint and get permission to repost ... But Somehow a Most Melancholy, but he’s been very, very quiet for quite some time, so I can’t make any promises.  :-X

hadrian

• Recruit
I  don't remember the name but isn't there a story were Liz Ngo dies and goes to  hell, gets hired by the devil  and proves rather good at corporate rearranging management structures.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
I  don't remember the name but isn't there a story were Liz Ngo dies and goes to  hell, gets hired by the devil  and proves rather good at corporate rearranging management structures.
  Oddly enough, that one was called In Hell.  ;)  And it’s on the schedule for re-posting.
  (And let’s face it: it’s not like Mizz Liz didn’t always know exactly which way she’d be going when her time came.  In at least one story, she said outright that she was born damned, and confirmed her fate the day she chose to serve her people rather than her ‘conscience’.)

mikecj

• Major
Indeed.

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
Thanks for this! I'd got a few of these saved, and am now looking forward to seeing the rest as they reappear  :)
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
Just came back to get a fix of the old Ngo stuff.  ;D

Trace, any chance to see you repost the rest of the stories soon?  [notworthy] [notworthy] [notworthy] [watch]

mikecj

• Major
Is there an update on the  "repost pending"material?

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
Wow, I didn't realize that there were so many parts of the 'Loonieverse that I'd missed.

I have to rectify this.  Looks like I have plenty of reading to do now.

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
    • wolfcannon's photobucket album
what about
and every Mother's son will suffer

i have several post worth save from the old old old boards.

Cannonshop
(Secret Police Consultant to the Cameron House)
01/28/03 05:32 PM

this is the first date post.
« Last Edit: 11 May 2014, 13:32:21 by wolfcannon »
Daniels Avenger                Clan Coyote
General Jennifer Daniels    Galaxy Commander Jim Skyes
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
328th Assault Cluster(the Lion Hearted)
Star Captain James Sword

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
   ... like so many other things, the re-post process has gotten lost in the shuffle for a while.  I’ll see what I can do about making some progress, but I try not to make promises I might not be able to keep.  :-\

wolfcannon, And Every Mother’s Son Will Suffer is part of the ‘old’ Ngo-verse continuity, the one where Cannonshop basically let the Ngos become the Kowloonese tail wagging the Lyran dog.  That continuity had a HIGH awesome quotient, and I enjoyed those stories greatly, but as you’ve noticed, I got bogged down to a halt just re-posting the ‘new and improved’ (and noticeably more restrained/less munchkinised) take on the ’verse.  Organising, converting, and re-uploading all of the old stories as well... would probably kill me.  Or lead me to kill someone in my vicinity.  #P  :'(
  For what it’s worth, if anyone else has copies of those old stories and wants to re-post them, I’ll happily add them to this index.

Deathrider6

• General Counsel Ngo Industries
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant
  • Go ahead, try and run.
I have the Old ones they are cached on the laptop.
"You're either with me, or you hate freedom and kittens. " - consequences on VSD and a draw result of the Great Refusal.

Taron Storm

• Warrant Officer
Could you pm me a copy please?

taronstormbear@yahoo.com

Register